Ended (WASH & Shelter) Project Officer
[WASH & Shelter] Project Officer
ACTED Organization Summary:
Since 1993, as an international non-governmental organization, ACTED has been committed to immediate humanitarian relief to support those in urgent need and protect people’s dignity, while co-creating longer term opportunities for sustainable growth and fulfilling people’s potential.
ACTED endeavors to respond to humanitarian crises and build resilience; promote inclusive and sustainable growth; co-construct effective governance and support the building of civil society worldwide by investing in people and their potential. ACTED is active in 37 countries and implements more than 450 projects a year reaching over 8 million beneficiaries with 400 international staff and 4,300 national staff.
ACTED has been present in Yemen since early 2012 and has been anchored to the governorates of Hodeidah, Raymah, Ibb, Dhamar, Aden-Dhalee, Saadah and Al Jawf.
Through its comprehensive programming ACTED has been covering the full continuum of emergency, rehabilitation and development in Yemen. Emergency activities have focused in the sectors of Agriculture & Food Security (e.g. distribution of crop seeds, and livestock), Economic Recovery and Market Systems (e.g. income-generating activities such as cash for work), and WASH (e.g. rehabilitation of water supply facilities, hygiene promotion). ACTED’s food security activities include distribution of food vouchers, which are a key component of ACTED’s interventions in the country.
ACTED Organization is pleased to announce the below job vacancy with the following details:
Position: [WASH & Shelter] Project Officer
Contract Type: Fixed term
Contract Duration: 6 months
Assessment and planning
- Prepare planning and support any shelter, and physical infrastructure needs assessment in IDP sites
- Prepare planning and support any water and sanitation needs assessment, available resources, and the capacity of existing systems in IDP sites
- Negotiate access for assessment in IDP sites if needed and obtain necessary authority approvals with support of the Deputy Project Manager and Shelter and WASH engineer
- In consultation with Deputy Project Manager, CCCM team, Shelter, and Sub-National Shelter/NFI/CCCM Cluster, support selection of sites for ACTED intervention, to conduct rehabilitation and support in the site for project duration with Shelter and WASH services
- Conduct consultation with community representatives (including women) – in collaboration with CCCM teams – during assessment, design, and planning phases
- Maintain an appropriate plan of intervention is in place for each site, designed with ACTED CCCM team as part of an integrated site approach, and well communicated to the community
- Support the design of appropriate Shelter interventions for the sites, in line with Cluster guidelines and following the instructions of Wash and Shelter engineer. In informal settlements this might include provision of emergency or transitional shelters. In collective centres, this might include rehabilitation of buildings e.g. sealing-off to be weather-proof, temporary partitioning for family privacy, installation of doors or handrails.
- Support the design of appropriate Infrastructure interventions for the sites, in line with Cluster guidelines and following the instructions of Wash and Shelter engineer. In informal settlements this might include drainage works, creation of footpaths, or small-scale re-planning of the site to improve spacing between shelters and reduce fire risk or improve safe access to latrines. In collective centres, this might include improving building access, or medium-scale rehabilitation works.
- Support the design of appropriate sanitation systems for household and community. This includes management of liquid and solid waste, drainage and vector control (in collaboration with CCCM) and complementary hygiene promotion and hygiene materials needs
- Support planning of appropriately designed hygiene interventions (including distributions of hygiene and cholera kits and hygiene promotion activities)
- Ensure accessible and safe designs and site planning including in WASH facilities. Facilities should be accessible for persons with limited mobility, and considered safe and accessible by women, elderly, and vulnerable persons, with appropriate public lighting installed or available at household level. Latrines must be gender-separated, well-lit, and lockable.
- In collaboration with ACTED CCCM team, assess fire risk in the sites and implement mitigation and response measures e.g. re-positioning of shelters, installation of fire buckets, and collaborate on training community members accordingly
- Support the preparation of technical drawings, specification lists, and Bills of Quantities for rehabilitation and installations
- Ensure plans are in place for sustainable operation and maintenance of each intervention beyond project duration, ideally through community self-management, prior to commencement
Implementation & monitoring
- Supervise Shelter/Infrastructure and WASH staff, contractors, and/or daily labour work teams during installation and rehabilitation works and regular monitoring and maintenance, ensuring quality and timely implementation
- Complete and sign work Completion Certificates, verifying that works have been completed to specifications contained in BoQs and contracts under the guidance of Wash and Shelter engineer.
- Work with ACTED CCCM team and Shelter and WASH Officers to form community Committees responsible for operation and maintenance of infrastructure, if relevant, agreeing with the community the responsibilities of the members, procuring materials, and delivering trainings
- Support the development and delivery of necessary training and awareness sessions for staff and beneficiaries (e.g. on water treatment, water source maintenance, sanitation facility maintenance)
- Conduct regular monitoring and maintenance of Shelter and Infrastructure situation in the sites, in collaboration with CCCM team, as needed
- Input to ongoing site monitoring of service standards and site safety audits conducted by CCCM teams and/or protection partners, and implement recommendations
Coordination and Information Management
- Ensure close coordination with WASH and Shelter stakeholders and public institutions.
- Participate and facilitate, if required, relevant coordination platforms that may include coordination meetings and bilateral follow ups in governorate level.
- Ensure management and regular updates of relevant to the project activities information and support the CCCM team to update service mapping in a governorate level.
- Support dissemination of information to WASH and Shelter stakeholders if needed with the objective to benefit WASH and Shelter situation in the IDP collective centres and spontaneous settlements,
Project management & reporting
- Devise project workplans, with support of Depute Program Manager, to ensure all contractual targets are met on time and on budget while delivering work of a high technical quality
- Liaison and coordination with local authorities, host community leadership, and IDP leadership, with support of Deputy Project Manager, Liaison department, to obtain necessary permissions
- Actively keep Depute Program Manager updated on project progress, including reporting of problems and challenges
- Timely and accurate submission of regular internal reporting as requested by the Deputy Project Manager
- Ensure proper and timely communication with Depute Program Manager for project implementation needs through weekly reports or ad hoc requests if needed.
- Support the development of Bill of Quantities for works
- Undertake basic logistics tasks as needed, e.g. stock reception, quotation collection, as required by the Logistics Officer / Area Coordinator
- Facilitate development of movement plan in coordination with the Deputy Project manager
- Ensure Cash for Work payments and documentation are following ACTED’s procedures.
- Supervise Shelter/Infrastructure Officer, WASH Officer/Sub-Engineer and project field staff / daily labour, providing leadership and support and delegating responsibilities
- Identify capacity-building needs, and train staff e.g. in technical, project management, and communication areas as needed
Transparency and Compliance
- Ensure compliance to ACTED internal procedures and donor procedures
- Accurate record keeping of project documentation in soft and hard copy
- Consider gender, protection, and GBV concerns in all aspects of activities
- Promote and adhere to ACTED’s Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA) policies, and any codes of conduct in place in IDP sites
- Ensure participation and inclusion of women, youth, people with specific needs, and marginalised groups in all aspects of programming
- Perform any additional task as requested by the line manager
Job Requirement (Qualification and Experience)
- University degree in Engineering or other relevant field;
- At least 3 years’ practical hands-on experience implementing construction and/or WASH projects;
- At least 1 years’ experience in water treatment and supply or sanitation;
- At least 1 years’ experience implementing emergency humanitarian shelter and/or infrastructure response and/or WASH response;
- At least 1 years’ experience of project management, including budget management
- Ability to develop and empower team members;
- Excellent Coordination skills and ability to represent the organization with external stakeholders;
- Excellent team-working and communication skills;
- Excellent written and spoken Arabic and English skills.
- Qualified candidates meeting the above requirements are requested to send an application comprising a detailed CV and a cover letter in English to: email@example.com
- PLEASE state WASH & Shelter Officer in the subject line of the e-mail and rename your CV and Cover letter as: First & Last name+ WASH & Shelter Officer)
- The closing date for applications is Tuesday, 13 Apr 2021
Due to the urgency of this appointment, interviews would be on a rolling basis and candidates may be identified before the closing date
Contacting any ACTED staff member other than the contact details listed in regard to this job will result in disqualification