Ended Civil Engineer
National Consultancy Position
Position: Civil Engineer
Job site: Taiz City (1 post)
Report to: WASH Expert and WASH Activity Coordinator
INTERSOS is an independent non-profit humanitarian organization committed to assist the victims of natural disasters and armed conflicts. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, and respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable and unprotected people
Project title: Emergency multi-sector response for Taiz Governorate
The project provides an integrated multi-sector response in Taiz governorate, further building on previous OFDA-funded actions. The new intervention aims at enlarging the geographical coverage area in order to address specific gaps and needs, with particular attention to Taiz city, considering the high concentration of IDPs and the limited humanitarian presence in this area (especially for protection). The project provides for protection services (prevention and response), combined with nutritional care and treatment for CU5 and PLW suffering from acute malnutrition, and with WASH services for conflict affected communities. The WASH component provides targeted communities with both soft and hard services, including rehabilitation of drinking water supply and outreach through hygiene promotion.
- Conduct water and sanitation technical needs assessment: assess the status and capacity of available water and sanitation resources/infrastructure at community level, with special focus on health facilities and IDPs sites.
- Carry out technical designs of the activities according to the WASH technical guidelines and the Construction Standards in Yemen in coordination with the WASH Expert and WASH Activity Coordinator.
- Consult with local authorities (i.e. relevant line ministries’ bodies) about assessment, design and sustainable management of water and sanitation systems to be supported, as well as for soft components, such as hygiene promotion.
- Assess conditions and set up maintenance and quality management systems/plans at health facilities and IDP sites.
- Provide weekly and monthly reports on the progress of the activities.
- Support the WASH Activity Coordinator with capacity building efforts for local authority representatives and the local partner organizations, including training and mentoring sessions.
- Participate in the analysis of collected data and information.
- Perform other related duties upon request from the WASH Expert.
- University Degree in Civil Engineering.
- At least 3 years of practical, hands-on experience reconstruction, renovation and rehabilitation of public infrastructure, including health facilities and water stations.
- Good knowledge of English (written and spoken) and native Arabic speaker.
- Strong organizational skills and able to coordinate and manage a diverse array of activities and stakeholders.
- Report writing skills.
- Computer skills in MS Word and Excel, Google Drive.
- Experience in AutoCad is preferred.
- Experience in conducting surveys, data management and statistics analyse is desirable.
- Demonstrate familiarity with water quality standards and testing procedures.
- Excellent analytical skills and observation capacity
- Attention to detail and structured way of approaching tasks
- Able to ensure quick quality delivery in stressful environment
- Ability to adhere to deadlines and respect line management
- Ability to deal with heavy work pressure
- Adherence to Humanitarian principles of Neutrality, Impartiality, Independence and Humanity
- Excellent communication skills with different population groups (age, gender, social status, etc.).
- Clear & timely communications to line management
- Very good knowledge of INTERSOS project, abiding by INTERSOS internal rules and guidelines and respect INTERSOS Charter of Value and Code of Ethics
- Deadline for submission of application: 11 April 2020
- Documents to be submitted: CV and Motivation Letter (incomplete applications will be not considered), in addition to contact details for minimum 2 reference persons (include position and relation)
- How to send the application: by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org (applications delivered by hand will be not considered)