Ended WPE Prevention and Risk Reduction Officer
Job Title: WPE Prevention and Risk Reduction Officer
Band/ Level / Grade: 8 B
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees required to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
Scope of Work:
Under the supervision of the WPE Senior Officer, the WPE Prevention and Risk Reduction Officer will be responsible for developing, implementing and handling all GBV prevention and risk mitigation activities which includes community awareness and education strategies and approaches to increase safety of target communities and women and girls who are at risk of GBV. The WPE PRR Officer will ensure that community mobilization activities, risk mitigation, safety assessments, outreach visits, capacity building trainings, meetings, and community-based activities are properly planned, implemented, and monitored.
In collaboration and under the direction of the WPE Senior Officer , the Prevention and Risk Reduction Officer will:
- Design, supervise and lead implementation of GBV prevention activities ensuring these activities are informed by target beneficiaries and correspond to their priorities, needs and safety.
- Develop information materials and activities, in collaboration with the WPE team, ensuring messages are appropriate for the community and tested before dissemination
- Work with women and girls in the community to identify their needs, interests and priorities, and where possible, adapt activities according to these to ensure activities offered are culturally appropriate and meet the needs of women and girls.
- Conduct training and dialogues with women and men community members, community leaders and key informants on the topics of GBV, women’s rights, gender equality in line with priorities identified by women and girls.
- Mobilize community members to build a protective environment and promote women and girls’ safety and dignity and mitigating risk
- Ensure accurate records of Prevention and Risk Reduction program activities undertaken according to GBV guiding principles and global standards for GBV data management
- Participate and represent WPE program in relevant committees, clusters, task forces, and work groups as requested by the WPE Manager or Coordinator
- Assist the team in packing and distribution of dignity kits for targeted beneficiaries
- Handle and lead GBV prevention capacity building trainings for Community Mobilisers
- Clearly explains the referral pathway and refer individuals to the Response team using the survivor centered approach.
Requirements (Qualifications, Skills and Abilities)
- Bachelors Degree in Sociology, Psychology, Social Work or other related area.
- Good solid understanding of English language.
- Minimum two years professional experience in GBV prevention or risk reduction
- Proven track record in community mobilization.
- Excellent knowledge of the working environment
- Personal qualities: Works well in and promotes collaboration, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, flexible and able to handle pressure well.
- Computer literacy is needed
- Deep understanding of violence, women’s protection and empowerment in the context of Yemen
- Strong communication and facilitation skills
Based in Aden with 80% travel to field.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation
- Qualified and Interested individuals are required to apply for this position via the IRC Career at the following link:
- CV, Copies of the academic and work certificates should be submitted in the system.
Deadline for Applying: April 11, 2021. System will stop receiving CVs at 12:00 A.M. of April 11, 2021. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.