Environmental and Social Safeguarding Officer This job has ended. You cannot apply anymore.
Environmental and Social Safeguarding Officer (ESSO) (World Bank))- - (220008PN)
SThe Restoring Education and Learning (REAL) project is funded by the World Bank and runs in partnership with WFP and UNICEF. The project objective is to maintain access to basic education, improve conditions for learning and strengthen education sector capacity in selected districts in several governorates in Yemen. The project has a dedicated “Environment & Social Commitment Plan” (ESCP), “Environment & Social Management Framework” (ESMF), and “Stakeholders Engagement Plan” (SEP) - to meet the requirements of the World Bank’s Environmental and Social Framework (ESF) and World Bank’s Environmental and Social Standards (ESS) - that all implementing partners agreed to jointly implement and monitor them throughout the project lifetime. The aim of these plans and framework is to better manage the environmental and social risks and impacts of the REAL project and to improve development outcomes.
The Environment and Social Safeguard Officer (ESSO) is responsible for supporting the management of the environmental and social safeguarding risks and impacts that can be generated by SCI project activities and follow up the implementation of the mitigation and control measures as required in the project ESMF and site specific ESMPs. The ESSO will conduct the initial ESS screening process, collect the existing environmental and social information from project sites, and contribute to prepare the site specific Environmental and Social Management Plan (ESMP). The ESSO will be responsible for site/field monitoring to ensure the compliance for SCI polices/codes, WB ESS requirements, project ESMF, and site specific ESMPs as well as conduct regular site visits including inspections and spot checks as required in ESS monitoring plans. The ESSO will be responsible with SCI technical teams in the implementation of a joint Stakeholders Engagement Plan (SEP) and a Gender Based Violence (GBV) Action Plan at the field level. The ESSO will conduct the ESS training and awareness for all project workers and stakeholders based on the ESS training plans. The ESSO will ensure the documentation of ESS site activities including monitoring and site visits outcomes, accidents/incidents records, complaints records, and any other ESS documents. The ESSO will be responsible to conduct the investigation for any ESS accidents/incidents. The ESSO will prepare a monthly site report summarizing the compliance to ESS KPIs, noncompliance cases, and ESS implementation progress.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Environmental and Social Safeguarding Coordinator (Country Office)
Staff reporting to this post: none
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Ensure Compliance for Project Environmental and Social Management Framework:
- Ensure the compliance for project Environmental and Social Management Framework (ESMF) regarding the assessment and management of ES risks and impacts, project workers health and safety, community health and safety, stakeholders’ engagement, public consultation, gender equality, women empowerment, sexual harassment and abuse, gender base violence (GBV), and grievance reporting mechanism (GRM) in the field level and during the implementation of SCI activities.
- Carry out the environmental and social screening process for each project location prior to start the implementation.
- Carry out the stakeholders’ engagement process with project affected parties.
- Carry out the risk assessment and analysis of work activities to find potential negative ES impacts and risks in order to provide the mitigation measures.
- Contribute to prepare the site specific Environmental and Social Management Plans (ESMPs).
- Ensure the implementation of the ESS Action Plans at the field level.
- Determining the efficiency of safeguarding procedures at workplaces and finding the noncompliance areas and gaps to take corrective actions.
- Deliver on-going refresher training and ES safeguarding inductions as appropriate and based on the training plans.
- Provide orientation and training to project’s teams on ESMF and ESMP.
- Raise the awareness of staff, project workers, and beneficiaries for SCI grievance mechanism.
- Undertake monitoring activities, including site visits, inspection, and spot checks to project worksites and based on ES monitoring plans and ESMPs to ensure the ES safeguarding procedures in place.
- Prepare the monthly safeguarding field reports briefing the ES KPIs, safeguarding performance, compliance, noncompliance, weaknesses, and improvements.
- Coordinate with SCI Safeguarding, MEAL, Compliance focal points in the term of training and field monitoring.
- Document the E&S safeguard field records including field reports, site training record, site visits record, site photographs, site work permits …. etc.
- Follow up the third-party monitoring (TPM) findings and response.
- Reporting all safeguarding and fraud accidents and cases.
- Conduct the investigation for all safeguarding and fraud accidents and cases under the project.
- File all investigation documents as a hard and soft copy.
- Record the stakeholders and beneficiaries’ complaints/feedback and report them for the accountability team for quick response..
- Work closely with relevant SCI technical teams in terms of cooperation and coordination during project activities.
Ensure Compliance for SCI Policies and Codes:
- Ensure the compliance for PSEA/Child Safeguarding systems, and prepare risk assessments within the project activities, planning and delivering training programs accordingly.
- Responsible for issuing visibility materials related to safeguarding and FRM.
- Conduct a review of Child Safeguarding Policy implementation throughout the field offices and implement the Child Safeguarding Policy Compliance Action Plan.
- Ensure that the safeguarding mechanisms are in place and are subject to continuous monitoring/review.
- Identify and utilise opportunities to integrate safeguarding approaches into all aspects of our work.
- Ensuring safeguarding concerns are reported effectively in line with the policy, acting as the field referral point
- Ensure that concerns are followed up safely, effectively and efficiently and to the required standards.
- Collaborating with key teams and processes to ensure that Child Safeguarding is integrated into all systems.
- Support staff to take proactive steps to ensure that all programming activity identifies the potential risks and works to eliminate and mitigate those risks.
- Ensure that all new recruits have had a thorough Safeguarding Policy induction.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor degree in environmental science, social science, engineering or equivalent.
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant professional experience, including applied experience in Environmental & Social risk management
- Working experience with international organisations and/or similar projects for at least 2 years
- Ability to work well with a range of stakeholders, including project-affected peoples, government officials, international organisations, development agencies, technical bodies, NGO’s and civil society.
- Computer literate (including working knowledge of MS Word, Excel)
- Ability to synthesise and analyse information, and make clear, informed decisions.
- Ability to build relationships quickly with a wide range of people, both internally and externally
- Excellent written and spoken communication and interpersonal skills
- Cross-cultural experience, understanding and sensitivity
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Arab is required.
- Commitment to Save the Children values
- Demonstrated experience in the design, monitoring and institutional operationalisation of the ESS under World Bank-funded projects.
- Experience in technical programme support in areas of Education.
- Ability and willingness to change work practices and hours in the event of major emergencies including travelling at short notice and for extended periods of time
Additional job responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive environment where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
We are looking for people with enthusiasm and commitment to improve the protection and promotion of the rights of all children and to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Save the Children International seeks to always be a child safe organization through fulfilling its obligations to the community and through programme implementation carried out by the organization for safeguarding children and to improve the living standards of the child.”
“Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer. Women are strongly encouraged to apply”
Please attach a copy of your CV and cover letter with your application, and include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations. A copy of the full role profile can be found at www.savethechildren.net/careers/apply.
Deadline for submitting applications: 15 Dec 2022.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.
Employee Status: Fixed Term
How to Apply
Important Notes / مقترحات هامة
إتباع تعليمات التقديم المذكورة في كل إعلان ستزيد من فرصة النظر لسيرتك الذاتية من قبل الجهة المعلنة
تذكر أن تكتب إسم الوظيفة و موقعها في عنوان البريد عندما يكون التقديم عبر الإيميل