Child Protection Officer
Project/Programme: Child Protection
Location: Shabwa, with regular travel to field offices
Report to: Child Protection Coordinator
Direct Reports: Child Protection Assistants
Child protection is part of DRC Yemen’s programme sector portfolio. Through its child protection programming, DRC promotes the protection and welfare issues of children affected by the armed conflict – including those of gender-based violence at domestic and community levels. DRC provides psychosocial support, referral, and response services including follow up. This is done directly or through partner organizations and government services.
The Child Protection Assistant is responsible for supporting the Child Protection Assistants and their field-based activities, contributing to and preparing draft reports, attending key meetings, and supporting the Coordinator and Manager in developing training modules and conducting trainings and awareness sessions to partners and community members.
- Under the guidance of the Child Protection Coordinator, work with the Child Protection Assistants to provide appropriate coaching and monitoring of the local partner NGOs, community volunteers, community-based Child Protection Committee members, and the community social workers.
- Provide technical support and supervision to child protection assistants to ensure quality assurance, including setting standards of operation and daily and weekly work plans for all activities relating to child protection; ensure mainstreaming of GBV issues across child protection activities.
- Liaise with relevant government departments, NGOs and UN agencies to establish child protection services networks to enhance child protection in the area of responsibility.
- Establish new and strengthen existing referral and response networks with relevant partners able to provide medical, psychosocial, legal, and livelihood services to survivors of child rights and gender-based violations.
- Conduct training and capacity building of local partners and volunteers to participate in child protection monitoring and provision of services to the affected children.
- Undertake regular field visits to assist in child protection and gender based violence monitoring in areas of responsibility.
- Contribute to and prepare drafts of child protection and gender based violence monitoring reports.
- Any other duties as required by supervisor.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum three years’ working experience, with two in a relevant field such as social work.
- Ability to travel and work will with communities and government counterparts.
- Documented supervision experience.
- Basic monitoring and evaluation experience.
- Professional experience highly desired.
Terms and Conditions
The proposed employment conditions are based on DRC policy and Yemeni labor law. The selected candidate shall perform his/her duties in compliance with the DRC Code of Conduct and procedures at all times
CVs of qualified candidates are invited at
by 18 September 2017. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis, and based on urgency, DRC may fill the position prior to the closing date. We highly encourage applicants from the same region (Shabwa). Qualified women candidates are also encouraged to apply. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.