Project Manager (Outreach)
Project: Urgent and comprehensive specific needs response for persons with injuries and other vulnerable persons affected by the conflict in Yemen
Handicap International is an independent and impartial international aid organization working in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. Working alongside persons with disabilities and other vulnerable groups, our action and testimony are focused on responding to their essential needs, improving their living conditions and promoting respect for their dignity and their fundamental rights.
Handicap International is a not-for-profit organization with no religious or political affiliation. It operates as a federation made up of a network of associations that provide it with human and financial resources, manage its projects and implement its actions and social mission. For more details on the association: http://www.handicap-international.fr/en/s/index.html
GLOBAL OBJECTIVE OF THE POSITION
Under the line management of the Field Coordinator, the Outreach Project Manager will directly plan, manage and report on the implementation of all designated project(s) and activities in an efficient and effective manner.
Line manager: Field Coordinator
Line manager+1: Head of Mission
Team Managed: Team of 4
Strong functional link with: Technical Advisors, Operations Coordinator, Logistics, Safety and Security, Admin.)
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS DESCRIPTION
Responsibility 1: Overall management of the project
- In collaboration with the cooridnation team, develop project workplans and ensure activities are carried out according to the established timeframes
- With support from each of the Field Technical Psychosocial and Rehabilitation Advisors as appropriate, help monitor and follow-up on the quality of the work accomplished;
- Ensure all program tools are implemented according to the implementation and monitoring plan
- Update the PM&E framework , in collaboration with the Operations Coordinator
- Provide inputs on the development of data collection tools for documenting indicators and measuring progress made
- Provide analysis on data from the different project databases upon request of Operations Coordinator
- Undertake and support the organization of field visits related to project monitoring directly and by others
- Participate in/lead lessons learnt exercises and the follow up of any resulting modifications to the project
- Give feedback about any security issues that may affect the work of the team in particular and HI in general
- Help manage project budget through routine coordination in the planning, monitoring and forecasting of project spending
- Contribute to procurement planning, prepare all required project purchase requests and liaise with support services to help ensure timely purchases and delivery (validation by Operations Coordinator)
- Collaborate in effective stock management processes for the project as relevant.
Responsibility 2: Effective external coordination and representation of HI at project level
- Ensure that partners understand their roles and responsibilities as outlined in partnership agreements
- Ensure collection of data among project team and partners as per the framework defined for synthesis
- Collect data from partners to document the project indicators and the number of beneficiaries
- Whenever necessary, organize meetings with partners/external stakeholders to ensure good collaboration and communication of HI activities
- Participate in external coordination meetigns on behalf of HI (cluster meetings, bilateral meetings with other organsiations, local actors, partners)
- Insure keeping good relationship with all stakeholders of the project within the areas of intervention in governorates and districts level and will pass note to the field coordinator, if need support or face any challenges .
Responsibility 3: Project team management
- Provide daily guidance and support to the teams
- Ensure the proper understanding by the teams of the tasks they should carry out and the objectives to reach
- Identify and share with Field Technical Advisors and other colleagues as relevant the need of capacity building of the project team/individual staff
- Ensure the organisation of essential capacity building activities for the project team
- Ensure that operational, administrative & logictics procedures are respected by project staff (such as respect of working hours, respect of the use of the material allocated to the team, leave policies…)
- Prepare and conduct regular performance management of staff directly managed as per HI’s policies
- Help ensure the respect of hierarchical links and communication channels within the (wider) team
- Encourage good communication between all members of the team
- Contribute to the global manageemt of the HI mission through effective coordination with colleagues, modelling of professional behaviour and practice as a manager and direct and indircet support for respect and compliance with all HI policies and procedures.
Responsibility 4: Reporting
- Ensure that the project database is updated routinely and in a timely manner
- Enssure the quality of the project databases by routine and ad hoc spot checking and verification as required.
- Work closely with the Database team to produce and share data analysis when requested
- Update the PM Box on a monthly basis for internal project progress monitoring and reporting;
- Routinely draft and share an internal sitrep to report on project activities, challenges and solutions
- Ensure that reports on training related activities of the project are produced and archived;
- Prepare in collaboration with the team the list of all documents/tools produced under the project, update them and file one copy (hard and soft) of all final documents/tools produced under the project.
- Contribute to external reporting with initial drafting as requested by the Operations Coordinator
- Provide other written reports to management as required
- File pictures taken under the project during the different events and make a selection for reporting, as appropriate
- In collaboration with the coordination team, help prepare articles/case studies and ensure that the donor’s logo is properly used in accordance with the donor and HI visibility frameworks
HI’s Yemen mission implements activities in a sensitive environment regarding the safety and security of Handicap International staff and assets. Handicap International employees commit to observe the utmost respect of personal and professional ethics, to adhere to the humanitarian principles of neutrality and impartiality, and to ensure necessary levels of discretion are used within and outside working space. Not respecting this clause could lead to disciplinary action and/or to immediate dismissal as a result.
- Master Degree in project Management, Public Health, in Humanitarian Action/ Development studies or social fields (anthropology, psychosocial, sociology, protection..), physiotherapy,..etc or first level degree(Bachelor in the same fields mentioned ) with minimum 4 years’ experience in the field of project management as equivalence .
- Experience in project management with INGOs preferably in emergency context
- Experience of leading a team, motivating and directing team members
- Experience in projects related to provision of rehabilitation, psychosocial support, and/or advocacy on disability issues preferably in emergency context.
- Experience in project development and proposal writings is an advantage .
- Experience in project budgetary, budget monitoring and other sub expenditures is required .
- Ability to develop productive working relationships with colleagues, partners, local authorities and other stakeholders
Skills and qualities
- Strong communication and reporting skills
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize workload
- Strong interpersonal and intercultural skills.
- Good reporting skills .
- Knowledge with donor’s policies and requirements .
- Ability to work under high pressure
- Proactive and punctual
Required languages & IT skills
- Proficiency in both English and Arabic mandatory (oral and written)
- Strong command of Microsoft Office Package
- The salary will be defined according to HI’s existing salary scale
- Based in Sana’a and movements within the country when needed + possible movements to Jordan for trainings.
- Start: 1st October 2017
- Duration: 5 months (renewable based on fund availability)
- 30 day leave/year + benefits (transport allowance, health insurance)
- Normal working hours are 40 hours per week. Note that working time can go up to 48 hours per week (according to the Yemen labor law) if it is required by the volume of activities and by the line manager.
- This position is open to Yemeni nationals only
- Interested candidates may please send their CV with cover letter in English, with the reference in the email subject: YEME/HR/2017/PROG/PM-outreach/SANA’A + Applicant Full Name to the following email address:
- Deadline for applications is 11.30pm on Thursday the 21stth of September 2017