Senior Programme Associate This job has ended. You cannot apply anymore.
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) in Yemen is pleased to announce the below Service Contract vacancy advertisement. We would highly appreciate if you could circulate this Announcement to all interested.
Senior Programme Associate
Contract type: Service Contract
Contract duration: 1 year with possibility of extension
Duty Station: Makha, Yemen
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles. Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the 2020 Nobel Peace Prize Laureate. We are the world’s largest humanitarian organization, saving lives in emergencies and using food assistance to build a pathway to peace, stability and prosperity for people recovering from conflict, disasters and the impact of climate change.
Aiming to feed 13 million of the most vulnerable people with food assistance, WFP’s emergency response in Yemen is the agency’s largest anywhere in the world. WFP also provides nutrition support to 1.7 million children and mothers, and delivers school meals to 850,000 children each day.
This is job is found in WFP Yemen, Makha. The job holders typically report to a Programme Policy Officer or Head of Field Office or designate.
At this level, job holders are responsible for technical work including the planning, implementation and co-ordination of activities that require thorough understanding of programme/project context, issues and ability to apply a range of guidelines/practices. They independently handle a wide range of specialized programme or policy support activities and may be involved in analytical work. Work performed typically has a substantial impact affecting other parts of the programme. Job holders demonstrate initiative in the identification and resolution of a wide range of issues/problems, and effectively handle unforeseen situations. They may act as technical focal points in the area of vulnerability assessment and analysis. Job holders set objectives, resolve wide-ranging issues and unforeseen problems, supervise and coach a team of support staff within an area of responsibility.
To provide effective coordination and specialized support to a full range of policy and programme activities that effectively meet food assistance needs.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Supervise junior staff including coaching, mentoring them and conduct their evaluations with them.
- Follow up on issues from the field and compile comprehensive and analytic reports (including incident reports) and distribution updates, challenges and share with Head of Field Office and Aden area office.
- Preparing monthly monitoring plans and share with Head of Field office and relevant colleagues. Undertake field visits to monitor all activities, conduct remote monitoring using monitoring targets provided by M & E and receive and review TPM reports for all areas under Mocha Field Office.
- Ensuring that CPs update the HTS data into the HTS platform on regular/ daily basis and follow up with Supply Chain Unit on any outstanding dispatches and any other issues as may be necessary.
- Take an active role in market assessments, commodities price collection and targeting and registration in the west coast area.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES - 2
6. Hold regular meetings with key stakeholders including local authorities, Cooperating Partners, UN agencies and other entities as may be necessary- to receive and provide updates on activities and the general field environment, including the security situation.
- Keep abreast with activities in areas under Mocha and recommend necessary adjustments to progammes, including the most appropriate transfer modalities as well as providing technical advice to Mocha programme team and the Head of the Field office.
- Initiate and maintain constant coordination and collaboration with other Units, to enable efficient and effective implementation of activities.
- Maintain flexibility to perform other duties, as may be required from time to time and be accountable for the Field Office management during the absence of the Head.
- Others as required.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- 6 or more years of relevant Administrative/Secretariat/Business Support work experience in data collection, management of databases, field assessments or monitoring and evaluation
- Completion of secondary school education;
- Fluency in both oral and written communication in Arabic and English.
- Either a Yemeni citizen or a foreign citizen with permanent Yemeni work permit.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
• Has participated in implementing technical programs (i.e. nutrition, etc.).
• Has implemented programmes with increased level of responsibility.
• Has provided input to policy discussions.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Coaches team in the most effective ways to communicate WFP’s Strategic Objectives to WFP team and partners in the field.
- Be a force for positive change: Implements new methods or tools to improve team’s work processes and productivity.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Maps team’s activities and tasks to specific successes in beneficiary communities to showcase positive impact.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Explains to teammates how each unit contributes to the overall WFP mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Identifies skill development opportunities such as training modules or on-the-job experiences for self, colleagues and direct reports.
- Create an inclusive culture: Facilitates team building activities to build rapport in own unit.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Facilitates the pairing of junior colleagues with coaches within own team.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Proactively anticipates potential challenges and develops mitigation plans to ensure that team meets goals and targets.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Identifies opportunities to be creative in own work and to help team be more innovative and accurate in their respective tasks and areas of work.
- Focus on getting results: Monitors team’s deliverables and provides feedback to ensure outcomes are delivered consistently and accurately.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Provides accurate guidance to team on expected responsibilities and tasks, whilst also upholding own commitment to the team.
- Be Decisive: Sets an example and provides guidance to junior team members on when to escalate issues when faced with challenging issues in the workplace or in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Facilitates partnerships with other WFP units to accomplish missions in the field.
- Build strong external partnerships: Sets an example and provides guidance to team on how to build relationships with external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Articulates to colleagues or direct reports the value of contributing to other WFP teams and agency partnerships in fulfilling WFP’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Organizes, monitors, and prioritizes own and team’s efforts to ensure that they will fulfil the needs of internal and external partners.
Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level
Programme Lifecycle & Food Assistance
Demonstrates ability to identify key variables and contextual factors that affect food assistance problems and programmes throughout the lifecycle to inform quality programme design or re-design.
Transfer Modalities (Food, Cash, Vouchers)
Demonstrates ability to analyse and consolidate quantitative and qualitative information from different sources (e.g., market studies) to inform transfer modality selection and programme development.
Broad Knowledge of Specialized Areas
Demonstrates the ability to interpret basic data in the context of WFP specialised fields to contribute to technical programme design, implementation and monitoring.
Displays capacity to provide inputs into the development, implementation and realignment of high quality emergency programmes.
Strategic Policy Engagement w/Government
Understands and applies basic principles of engagement with government counterparts at the national or local level.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- WFP is an equal opportunity employer.
- WFP does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
- The applicant should be a Yemeni national or having work/residency permit.
- Only candidates who are short-listed will be contacted.
- Applications must be submitted online with:
- Use English language only.
- Indicate all your job TOR.
- Indicate clear years of experience with each job (month/year)
- By submitting your application, you have read the Terms of Reference for this position and agree that any false, wrong or incomplete information might lead to your disqualification in this recruitment process.
- Successful candidates vetted as viable candidates through the application process will be retained on internal roster for a two-years period and may be given further consideration for future similar specific position advertised in the duty station.
How to Apply
Important Notes / مقترحات هامة
إتباع تعليمات التقديم المذكورة في كل إعلان ستزيد من فرصة النظر لسيرتك الذاتية من قبل الجهة المعلنة
تذكر أن تكتب إسم الوظيفة و موقعها في عنوان البريد عندما يكون التقديم عبر الإيميل