Liaison and Security Officer
ACTED, an international, non-profit development and humanitarian organization working in 34 countries worldwide. Our interventions seek to cover the multiple aspects of humanitarian and development crises through a multidisciplinary approach. ACTED Yemen is currently recruiting a qualified Liaison and Security Officer based in Hodeidah for Hodeidah/Raymah project operations. Under direction of the National Liaison Officer and the Area Coordinator, the Liaison and Security Officer will be directly in charge of the planning, implementation and reporting of multiple components across 2 governorates.
Position: Liaison and Security Officer
Contract Type: Fixed term
Contract Duration: 6 months, renewable contract
Scope of Responsibilities
Working hours and location
- The Liaison and security base officer is a full-time position based in Hodeida, following 8:00am-4:00pm (Sunday-Thursday) shift, including a 30-minute lunch and according to needs and agreement set up with management;
- According to need and due to the specific duties of the position, the Liaison and security base officer may be asked to intervene in other locations throughout ACTED’s areas of intervention. Flexibility is therefore required as work outside of classic office hours is common.
- Liaise with government authorities, community groups, NGOs to better plan and coordinate base activities;
- Attend government and NGO meetings, including AHCT meetings and regular meetings with the Executive Union, MOPIC, MOI, Governors and other authorities as requested by area coordination;
- Liaise and communicate with other ACTED bases (Sanaa and potentially future Raymah base) as needed;
- Initiate information-gathering meetings with other actors in Hodeida/Raymah area as requested by area and country coordination;
- Represents ACTED Hodeida on donor meetings in absence of the Area Coordinator and Program Officer;
- Responsible for obtaining movement and program implementation clearances from local authorities at governorate (and if needed at central) level, by preparing the weekly permits in accordance with program and logistics plans and requirements;
- Follow up with Sanaa liaison the status of the sub-agreement for the ongoing project to ensure access and safety of the staff and liaising with the local authorities to have the sub agreements signed on time;
- Inform immediately the Area Coordinator of any liaison issues.
- Acts as Security Focal Point for the base;
- Maintain office security by conducting physical security inspections of facilities and vehicles, if possible background checks, and entry control;
- Contribute to the development, implementation and evaluation of the effectiveness of the security and movement plan (s);
- Assist in planning, coordinating and executing evacuations and reallocations involving ACTED staff;
- Perform security assessments, both routine and those required to ensure security of ACETD staff;
- Organize convoy security procedures and medical evacuations;
- Maintain standing lines of communication with ACTED capital security officer;
- Organize and manage ACTED Hodeida guard/watchman force;
- Organize and maintain base files on security issues (assessments, security plans)
- Send weekly security reports;
- Ensure that the staff are aware of the safety and security rules and evacuation plan;
- Inform the Area Coordinator of any immediate or foreseen security issues.
- Chair internal meetings and pass note and output of meeting & requirements of base to area office on time;
- Maintains strong communication with departments and area office in terms of management and implementation of system, procedures and programs;
- Assist in recruitment process of base-level staff as needed;
- Supervise staff, as required and requested;
- Acts as authorized signatory, as required and requested;
- Perform other related duties, as required.
- Responsible for sending security, cluster and institutional relations updates to Area coordination, Program Officer and Capital Security Focal Point (for security updates.
- Collaborates with PDD and programs on cluster and donor reporting as needed.
- Report and clarify any work-related issues and challenges to supervisor(s) in timely manner;
- Respect time including to work, meetings, deadlines and other reasonable requests;
- Maintain a good team spirit amongst staff and colleagues;
- Commit to honest, quality work in the field;
- Carry out any other tasks as reasonably assigned by management; and,
- Consider safety and security in the field, and immediately report all incidents to Area Coordination and Capital Security Focal Point.
- University degree preferably in political/social science, international relations, law enforcement and/or business management (with a focus on security management).
- Minimum 3-year experience in a position with similar responsibilities, preferably with a non-governmental organization
- An established network of contacts amongst local authorities
- Proven ability to collaborate with senior military and government counterparts
- Cross cultural awareness and sensitivity (esp. gender and ethnicity) is required
- Excellent interpersonal skills required, as well as the ability to communicate clearly and efficiently with a variety of audiences (e.g. beneficiaries, community committees, and other team members)
- Leadership and organizational skills are required.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and responsibilities work efficiently under pressure and in changing circumstances.
- Fluency in Arabic and English required.
- Strong computer literacy (Microsoft Word, Excel and Power Point) required.
- Send CV and cover letter in English to firstname.lastname@example.org
- PLEASE state in the subject line of the e-mail: "Hodeidah – Liaison and Security Officer"
- The closing date for applications is 18th of December 2017
Candidates from the Hodeidah/Raymah governorates are strongly encouraged to apply.