Ended WASH Officer
Location of position: El Anad, Lahj Governorate, Yemen
I. Presentation of organization
Solidarités International (SI) is a French humanitarian organization, which has been committed to provide aid in the event of conflicts and natural disasters. SI mission is to provide aid as quickly and as efficiently as possible to endangered populations by meeting their vital needs: drinking water, food and shelter.
SI has just opened a mission in Yemen and is currently opening a base in El Anad. The mission currently consists of an emergency and post-emergency program with an integrated FSL and WASH approach in the district of Al Qabbaytah, in Lahj governorate.
The position will be based in El Anad.
II. Responsibilities and Tasks:
Under the supervision of the WASH Program Manager Assistant (WASH PMA) and indirectly under the WASH Program Manager (WASH PM), the WASH Officer will lead and supervise implementation of works, respecting deadlines and provide technical assistance and ensure minimum quality requirements are met.
He/she will comply with the core humanitarian principles of neutrality, impartiality, humanity and independence as well as with the principles and mandate of Solidarités International at all times
List of main tasks:
Implementation & Supervision of Water & Sanitation Activities
- Under the supervision of the WASH PMA, take part in logistical and administrative organization and the planning and preparation of activities
- Produce technical files (BoQs, Scope of work, Drawing etc.) according to the identified needs, standards and available resources.
- Ensure the construction and/or the maintenance of construction works using Solidarités International tools.
- Supervise contractors and engage with communities, and ensure the best use of available resources
- Organize, plan and supervise community participation
- Anticipate any problems associated with the management of his/her activities and propose solutions to the WASH PMA to avoid them
- Manage the supply of worksite materials as instructed by the WASH PMA by collaborating with the logistics department
- Report to the WASH PMA/WASH PM on the state of ‘field’ stock on his/her sites.
- Take part to the evaluation of the technical competence of contractors/plumbers
- Respect Solidarités administrative procedures before, during and after each work project
- Establish safety and security measures for each activity and ensure that these rules are respected by the workforce under his/ her supervision and by the population
- Provide training to all relevant beneficiaries (health facility workers, daily labourers, beneficiaries) to ensure the safe and appropriate use of facilities installed.
- Collaborate with local authorities and administration to ensure access and authorized works as requested by the WASH PMA.
- Collaborate with camp management and other WASH actor field staff as needed to facilitate the smooth implementation of activities as instructed by the WASH PMA.
- Keep his/her monitoring tools and files archived in the Solidarités office, accessible to his/her WASH PMA or WASH PM
- Take part in the drafting of project progress reports under the supervision of the WASH PMA
- Take part in seminars and workshops related to the carrying-out of activities and to project objectives
- Report to the WASH PMA regarding the development of activities and specific tasks that he/she has been assigned, any problems encountered and the quality of relations with the beneficiaries
- Report back all information or problems linked to his/her activity, Solidarités programs or safety issues
- Listen to and coordinate with the local population and authorities in order to identify any needs, complaints, or major events which could affect the activities of Solidarités
- Analyze the humanitarian situation by taking into account protection issues/Do No Harm to the population
- Take part in lessons learnt workshops and other program evaluation activities
- Take part in WASH-specific inter-agency meetings as well as other bi-lateral meetings as instructed by the WASH PMA
ORG CHART POSITION (reporting and functional relationships)
- Line Manager: WASH Program Manager Assistant
- Line report(s) on base: WASH Program Manager Assistant
III. Profile Required:
- Bachelor degree in Engineering or technical equivalent
- Minimum 6 months working experience in the humanitarian sector, preferably in Water & Sanitation
- Languages: Arabic and English will be required.
- Personal qualities: self-motivated, enthusiastic, professional and understands and believes in humanitarian principles
- Native from Lahj or professional experience there would be an asset
Please submit your application (CV, cover letter, photocopies of diplomas, certificates of employment etc.) to Solidarités International by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
NB: Title of the related position must be written in the email subject.
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline.
Final date for applications: 23 January 2018