Business Support Assistant
Contract type: Service Contract
Position grade: SC4
Contract duration: 12 months (with possibility of extension)
Duty Station: Sana’a Country Office, Yemen
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need. In emergencies, WFP gets food to where it is needed, saving the lives of victims of war, civil conflict and natural disasters. After an emergency, WFP uses food to help communities rebuild their shattered lives. On average, WFP reaches more than 80 million people with food assistance in 75 countries each year. The organization has the global footprint, deep field presence and local knowledge and relationships necessary to provide access to nutritious food and contribute to the lasting solutions, especially in many of the world’s most remote and fragile areas.
This position is found in the WFP Yemen Country Office. The job holder will perform front office management functions typically reporting to the Deputy Country Directors or Head of Office.
At this level, the job the holder is expected to take responsibility for completion of a range of business support activities requiring some interpretation of standard guidelines/practices.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
1. Collate information for inclusion in reports, documents and correspondence, to support the effective work of other staff.
2. Respond to standard queries and provide timely and accurate guidance.
3. Process and manage routine administrative and financial tasks in various functional areas, to contribute to the effective and timely management of resources
4. Manage and maintain records and databases, to ensure information is organised and readily available for staff.
5. Maintain relationships with a range of individuals through provision of business support to assist in information sharing and service delivery to staff.
6. Proof-read reports, documentation, correspondence, etc., making changes in line with established guidelines where appropriate.
7. Contribute to the improvement of business procedures and processes.
8. Collect and perform basic analysis of data to contribute to quality business information management.
9. Provide guidance to junior colleagues in performing their duties.
To deliver a wide range of business support processes and activities for a specific professional area of work, to facilitate effective service delivery.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Completion of secondary school education.
Experience: Four or more years of progressively responsible work experience in the relative business stream with experience in general administrative work.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Proficient in the use of office equipment and computer software packages, such as Microsoft Word.
- Knowledge of work routines and methods in order to complete processes under minimal supervision.
- Uses tact and courtesy to give and receive information to a wide range of individuals.
- Ability to identify data discrepancies and rectify problems requiring attention.
- Ability to offer guidance or basic on-the-job training to more junior staff.
Language: Fluency (level C) in both oral and written communication in English and in Arabic.
Nationality and residency: The applicant should be either a Yemeni national or have a valid Yemeni residence/work permit at the time of application.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Helps teammates articulate WFP’s Strategic Objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Suggests potential improvements to team’s work processes to supervisor.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Explains the impact of WFP activities in beneficiary communities to teammates.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Articulates how own unit’s responsibilities will serve WFP’s mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Trains junior teammates on new skills and capabilities.
- Create an inclusive culture: Seeks opportunities to work with people from different backgrounds.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Serves as a peer coach for colleagues in same area of work.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Tracks progress toward goals and shares this information on a regular basis with supervisor.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Explores ways to consistently be more efficient and accurate in own areas of work and shares new methods of work with colleagues.
- Focus on getting results: Focuses on getting results and tracks trends in completion rates for own tasks to identify opportunities for efficiency.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Takes responsibility for own tasks and notifies supervisor as soon as possible of potential delays in meeting deadlines or commitments.
- Be Decisive: Independently decides what action to take when faced with critical choices in the workplace or in dangerous situations in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Suggests opportunities for partnering with other units to supervisor.
- Build strong external partnerships: Identifies opportunities to work with colleagues and partners in the field towards common goals.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Develops an understanding of the value of WFP’s teams and external partners in fulfilling team’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Aligns own activities with supervisor’s priorities to fulfill internal and external partner needs.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Applicants must be a Yemeni national or have a valid Yemeni residence/work permit at the time of application.
- Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Only candidates who are shortlisted will be contacted.
- Applications must be submitted online and in English.
To view the job description and apply to this vacancy, please go to:
1.Create your online CV
2.Click on “Apply”
3.Click on Create an account