Area Manager /Office Manager
Mercy Corps is a leading international non-governmental humanitarian agency with a global mission to alleviate suffering, poverty and oppression by helping people build secure, productive and just communities.
Mercy Corps Yemen would like to announce that the following position is currently open for recruitment:
Position Title: Area Manager /Office Manager
Number of Vacancy: 1
Duty Station: Taiz
Position Category: Full-time 1 AND Regular 0
Duration of Assignment: One year
Deadline : 17 Jan 2018
Mercy Corps has been present in the Middle East since the 1980s and currently has offices in Egypt, Palestine, Lebanon,
Jordan, Iraq, Turkey and Yemen. Mercy Corps opened its office in Yemen in 2010. Currently, Mercy Corps Yemen (MCY) has 3 office hubs, in Sana’a, Taiz and Aden. From these locations, programs are implemented throughout Sana’a, Taiz, Aden, Abyan, Hadhramawt, and Lahj Governorates. MCY is currently assisting vulnerable communities with food security, water, sanitation and hygiene, nutrition, as well as early recovery programming.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The Area Manager (AM) is a management position for Mercy Corps with supervisory and managerial responsibilities, and which ensures appropriate representation of Mercy Corps. The AM is ultimately responsible for ensuring that programs run smoothly by coordinating and overseeing the daily operations of the hub and sub-offices, monitoring and responding to the security situation, and keeping up to date with contextual developments. This includes training and supervising administration, operations (logistics, procurement), government liaison/security focal persons, IT staff and work directly with finance and HR team, improving coordination between all departments, and ensuring compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures. The Area Manager will also be responsible for ensuring that sub-offices are provided with the proper support by the hub.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Ensure the smooth running of the hub (office and Guest house ), in terms of having the appropriate staff, infrastructure and systems in place to provide a comfortable and professional working and living environment, and providing any necessary training or guidance;
• Assist Country Director and Safety & Security advisor in maintaining appropriate security and safety systems and procedures and ensure all staff are aware of and adhere to these procedures;
• Ensure all team members are aware of and compliant with Mercy Corps personnel policies, including conflict of interest and general conduct;
• Liaise with local government officials, ministries, UN and other international agencies, local NGOs and civil society organizations, local leaders and other community members to foster coordination and ensure support for and acceptance of Mercy Corps activities;
• Receive, brief and support all Mercy Corps visitors to the hub;
• Conduct him/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission;
Strategy and Vision
• Participate in strategic planning for the Yemen response; ensure linkages into overall Yemen programming;
• Assist with participation in needs assessments and sharing ideas for new programs.
Office Management / General Administration
• Responsible for maintaining and ensuring a smoothly working office environment, via leading all office administrative and managerial tasks.
• Oversee the set-up and development of Mercy Corps office(s) to meet needs of team members including drafting and reviewing contracts for office and housing space, leasehold improvements;
• Oversee tracking of all assets to ensure accurate record keeping of Mercy Corps and donor assets, including exceptional items that require registration and movement tracking, in accordance with the Mercy Corps Asset Management Manual including maintaining asset file
• Conduct annual & regular asset physical verifications
• Report daily/weekly/monthly on management, administrative activities and security situation, in addition to incident reports, to CD and OD.
• Ensure effective and transparent use and documentation of Mercy Corps property by all staff in compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures;
• Ensure the admin systems are implemented as described in the Field Administration Manual;
• Oversee facilities management, including housing, office and warehouse leases for both. Ensure security standards are maintained at all premises;
• Work closely with program managers/ deputy program managers to facilitate operations, finance and HR aspects of program planning, and upcoming operations resources needs, especially procurement, transport/logistics, and recruitment to make sure they comply with all Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures;
• Work closely with Program Managers to coordinate and provide operational support to program activities, ensuring that the team is able to adhere to work plans, that activities are on schedule and of quality, and that program deliverables are completed as committed;
• Keep the Program Managers informed of any developments that might have an impact on their programs;
• Submit and timely follow up on MOUs with MOPIC and other ministries and government bodies.
• Oversee the smooth flow of routine support functions (e.g., administration, logistics, HR ……) of the Mercy Corps office and compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures;
• Ensure that procurement is completed, documented, and delivered to end-user in a timely manner, ensuring that items procured meet the specifications of the end-user while adhering to donor and Mercy Corps procurement guidelines;
• Ensure all aspects of asset management including maintenance of the asset register and the investigation of any missing assets, as well as stock management, including ensuring sound transfers between sub-offices;
• Supervise the management and maintenance of vehicle fleet, office facilities, and equipment, including power supply;
• Oversee database and paper file management for administration, HR, and logistics documents; ensure files are complete and in compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures;
• Advice the OD and other staff as required on government policies and procedures, taxation and on interaction with local authorities.
• Work closely with program and finance staff in the office to coordinate and provide operational support to program activities, ensuring that the team is able to adhere to work plans, that activities are on schedule and of quality, and that program deliverables are completed as committed;
• Oversee the smooth flow of information to the CD and OD and work closely with the finance team and operations team in the office.
Safety & Security Management
• Serve as safety and security focal in the hub office;
• Supervise the Security focal person /officer ;
• Promote a culture of safety among the office team;
• Maintain and advise on appropriate security and safety systems and procedures and ensure all staff are aware of and adhere to these procedures and work closely with Government Liaison and Security Advisor based in Sana’a;
• Work closely with the Government Liaison & Security Advisor so as to inform staff as required on government policies pertaining to Mercy Corps.
As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve - we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our programs..
This position will manage a diverse team of national staff members, directly supervising operations, and security and administration staff.
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO Country Director/Operations Director
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH Program managers /finance/HR teams at the hub; in addition, the AM will coordinate closely Safety & Security Manager and senior finance staff, as needed.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor in Business Administration or other relevant discipline.
• 5-7 years of field experience with a humanitarian relief or development non-governmental organization with supervisor responsibilities.
• Experience in managing and building capacity of diverse teams and project stakeholders;
• Proven program leadership, management, project planning, organizational, interpersonal, communication, and security management skills;
• Strong operational and administration management knowledge and experience required.
• Experience in highly volatile security situations and a commitment to team safety.
• Experience in monitoring and managing security plans and situations is a distinct advantage.
• Demonstrated proficiency with the MS Office software (i.e., Word, Excel, Power Point) required.
• English proficiency required; excellent written and oral skills..
A successful candidate will have effective verbal and written communication skills, the ability to multi-task, great organizational, and prioritization skills with an ability to effectively represent the organization and its interests to a diverse range of stakeholders, including local and international government officials, local civil society organizations, and the community. S/he will have demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow and enforce procedures, meet deadlines, and work independently and cooperatively with team members, have strong people skills and the ability to motivate diverse teams. An interest and ability to travel and work in remote and dynamic environments.
Please note that Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer. As a result, Mercy Corps Yemen recruits staff members based on the qualifications for the position, without regard to tribal affiliation, race, color, religion, age, national origin, gender, disability, HIV status, marital status, or any other characteristic that may be protected by law.
- Please if you are interesting send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please mention in the email subject the position and location you apply for it.