Ended Deputy Program Manager (WASH)
Mercy Corps is a leading international non-governmental humanitarian agency with a global mission to alleviate suffering, poverty and oppression by helping people build secure, productive and just communities.
Mercy Corps Yemen would like to announce that the following position is currently open for recruitment:
Position Title: Deputy Program Manager (WASH)
Number of Vacancy: 1
Duty Station: Aden
Working area: Aden (50% and Taiz 50%)
Position Category: Full-time 0 AND Regular 0
Duration of Assignment: Six months
Deadline : Jan/21/2018
Mercy Corps (MC) is a non-profit, non-aligned, secular non-governmental (NGO) humanitarian relief and development organization, registered in the United States and Scotland with offices in more than 40 countries around the world, including Yemen, where the organization has expanded with a robust humanitarian response.
Political instability, civil insecurity, an intensified war, and localized conflicts have plunged the country into a serious humanitarian crisis, and put into further jeopardy an already precarious humanitarian situation of Yemen. Mercy Corps is responding to the crisis through interventions in water and sanitation (WASH), health & nutrition, shelter and Food and non-food item distribution (NFIs).
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The Deputy Program Manager will lead the implementation of all aspects of GAC funded integrated humanitarian assistance program Aden and Taiz. This program aims to support conflict-affected populations with essential water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) services and livelihoods support. The program focuses primarily on displaced families, returnees and vulnerable host communities in Aden, Lahj and Taiz governorates. Program expected outcomes are to improve access to safe water and appropriate sanitation facilities, and hygiene practices for IDPs, returnees, host communities and other conflict-effected populations and to increase access to financial resource to meet life-saving needs, including food, essential household items and services for IDPs, returnees, and other conflict-affected populations.
The Deputy Program Manager will work under the guidance of the Program Manager to provide overall leadership, coordination and management for the implementation of this program and manage staff and resources to ensure that the program meets its targets and deliverables on time to the required level of quality and within budget. The Deputy Manager will also ensure synergy between other Mercy Corps programs funded in a similar geographical area and will assess needs and identify opportunities for future programming. She/he will supervise and train program staff and ensure accountability to Mercy Corps policies and donor rules and regulations for close coordination with the WASH Cluster.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Leadership and Strategy:
1. Participate in strategic planning for the Mercy Corps Yemen WASH Response: ensure linkages into overall Yemen programming.
2. Work closely with stakeholders to make sure program activities are done as per the proposal and give guidance in this regard.
3. Contribute to the development of MC Yemen WASH strategy which includes Emergency WASH strategy
1. Oversee ongoing program management and administration of the teams across the various field locations ( Aden, Lahj, Taiz City and Al Ta’iziya).
2. Ensure that program implementation is responsive to communities and partners and consistent with Mercy Corps’ relevant program guidelines, principles, values, quality standards and strategic plan.
3. Ensure that beneficiaries are effectively targeted according to established vulnerability criteria.
4. Ensure quality services are provided to the community and meets minimum standards
5. Integrate community approaches, gender sensitivity and capacity building into all activities as appropriate.
6. Ensure and maintain effective program reporting, monitoring and evaluation systems for both internal and external use in coordination with the program staff, including end user monitoring to ensure that designated beneficiaries are receiving the right quantity and quality items/services
7. Adhere to all Mercy Corps area of operations and transport/logistics information related to programming.
8. Ensure monitoring systems are in place to ensure program quality
9. Proactively facilitate regular and effective coordination meetings (monthly and weekly) between project teams and operations and Finance in coordination with Heads of Offices and Operations department in Taiz.
10. Manage the project to adhere to Mercy Corps’ project management minimum standards to ensure that the project is managed on-scope, on time and on budget.
1. Supervise, hire and orient new team members as necessary.
2. Provide team members with information, tools and other resources to improve performance and reach objectives.
3. Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback via regular performance reviews.
4. Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
5. Contribute to country team building efforts, help team members identify problem solving options and ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision making processes.
Operations, Human Resources, Finance and Compliance Management.
1. In Coordination with Head of Office and Operation Officers, ensure that project related procurement is conducted according to Mercy Corps and donor procurement policies and procedures.
2. Ensure all program staff are aware of and adhere to all Mercy Corps Yemen operational and human resources policies and procedures including code of conduct.
1. Share feedback from project team with Head of Offices, Security management and CD regarding security situation in project field sites.
2. Ensure project staff members are aware of Mercy Corps Yemen community messaging guidelines.
3. Ensure Compliance with Mercy Corps Yemen security policies and procedures and ensure that project team members are aware and adhere to Mercy Corps Yemen policies and procedures.
1. Maintain internal and external relationships to ensure program success including contacts with government Offices and country program offices, international and local NGOs working in the emergency sector related to emergency programming, beneficiaries and general public.
2. Identify, coordinate and partner with local and international partners.
3. Coordinate closely with WASH cluster as required.
Organizational Learning: As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve – we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries: Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: Senior Program Officers (2)
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO Program Manager – GAC
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH Head of Offices (Taiz), Operations section as well as Finance team. Also coordinate with other program staff,
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
• University degree in Civil/Environmental/Water Engineering or BA in economics, international studies or related field. Advanced degree preferred.
• 5-7 years’ experience in project/program management in a humanitarian or development context.
• Experience with WASH program, cash for work activities and in WASH facilities/infrastructure rehabilitation in disaster or conflict contexts.
• Experience managing complex and complicated activities with time sensitive deliverables in unstable environments.
• Experience supervising a large team, starting up programs and working in emergency and transitional programming.
• High level of proficiency in English is required.
• Should be a self-starter with hands on experience in a similar role.
The successful candidate will be able to manage this program in a conflict-affected environment. Should have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and changing environments with an appropriate sense of humor and make effective written and verbal communication a priority in all situations.
Please note that Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer. As a result, Mercy Corps Yemen recruits staff members based on the qualifications for the position, without regard to tribal affiliation, race, color, religion, age, national origin, gender, disability, HIV status, marital status, or any other characteristic that may be protected by law.
- Please if you are interesting send your CV to email@example.com
- please mention in the email subject the position and location you apply for it.