Senior Operation Officer
Mercy Corps is a leading international non-governmental humanitarian agency with a global mission to alleviate suffering, poverty and oppression by helping people build secure, productive and just communities.
Mercy Corps Yemen would like to announce that the following position is currently open for recruitment:
Position Title: Senior Operation Officer
Number of Vacancy: 1
Duty Station: Aden
Position Category: Full-time 0 AND Regular 0
Duration of Assignment: Eight months
Deadline : Jan/21/2018
The Operations Department in Aden is responsible for ensuring the effectiveness and efficiency as well as increasing the quality of Mercy Corps’ operations functions including administration, procurement, fleet management/logistics and representation/government liaison..
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The Senior Operations Officer is responsible for leading and managing the Operations team in the Aden office, in addition to Mukalla and Al Dhale'e sub-offices. He/she will ensure all operations functions, including Administration, Procurement, Fleet Management/Logistics follow established Mercy Corps policies and procedures as well as best practices. He/she will coordinate well with programs, finance, security and IT to ensure the smooth functioning of Mercy Corps’ interventions. The Senior Operations Officer will ensure effective representation of Mercy Corps with national level government offices and officials.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Lead, manage, motivate and develop the capacity of Operations team members (Admin, Procurement and Logistics) in Aden office, in addition to Mukalla and Al Dhale'e sub-offices. This will include leading on recruitment, orientation, objective setting, regular supervision and feedback sessions, and performance evaluations.
• Work closely with Aden office, in addition to Mukalla and Al Dhale’e program managements to facilitate operations aspects of program planning, and upcoming operations resources needs, especially procurement.
• Assist the Aden, Mukalla and Al Dhale'e program teams to understand their roles and responsibilities in terms of interaction with operations departments, including trainings, regular coordination meetings, problem solving and procurement planning and other such planning activities to ensure effective and timely program implementation.
• Assist and provide technical support, and guidance to Mukalla sub-office operation officer and operation team as and when needed.
• Work closely with finance to mitigate fraud, conflict of interest and legal ramifications on MCs activities.
• Support the Administration Assistants/Officers to ensure the Administration systems in Adenare implemented as described in the Field Administration Manual.
• Ensure effective oversight of facilities management in Aden, Mukalla and Al Dhale'e including office and housing leases. In coordination with the Security team, ensure security standards are maintained at all Mercy Corps premises.
• Support the Administration Assistants/Officers to ensure all utility and communication services in Adenare functioning and all repairs are conducted in a timely manner
• Support the Administration Assistants/Officers to manage tracking of all assets in Adento ensure accurate record keeping of Mercy Corps and donor assets, including exceptional items that require registration and movement tracking, in accordance with the Mercy Corps Asset Management Manual. Conduct random checks to ensure accuracy and quality.
• In coordination with the Operations team in Aden, Mukalla, Al Dhale'e and San’a, ensure all Mercy Corps contracts and business transactions/relationships are transparent and in compliance with Yemeni law and Mercy Corps/donor policies.
• Assist the Operations Director in developing/reviewing administration-related policies (e.g. asset policy, phone policy).
• Support the Procurement Officers in Aden, Mukalla and Al Dhale'e to ensure timely and accurate processing and documentation of procurement as described in the new Field Procurement Manual (FP3).
• Oversee use of the Electronic Procurement System found in the Office in a Box. Conduct random checks to ensure accuracy and quality.
• Monitor service contracts and overall contract management in Aden, Mukalla and Al Dhale'e Offices
• Facilitate tender openings, as necessary.
• Support the Procurement Officers in coordinating with vendors through an open and transparent approach.
• Work together with finance to ensure compliance and timely processing of payment according to schedule.
• Support the Logistics Assistants in tracking of vehicle log-sheets as well as monthly compilation and submission of log-sheets as described in the Field Fleet Management Guidelines.
• Assist the Logistics Assistants in movement planning as well as transportation challenges as necessary.
• Review monthly fuel consumption purchase and tracking reports.
• Support the Logistics Assistants to ensure that all vehicles are safe and road-worthy, having proper vehicle documentation and on-board. Conduct random checks as necessary.
• Review monthly vehicle expenses.
• Conduct random checks of vehicle files and the vehicle database.
• Work closely with the Administrative Assistants regarding processing of international staff and visitor’s visa (as well as work and residency permits for international staff).
• Interface with donor representative(s) responsible for coordinating all supply shipments to Yemen via the appropriate approval processes, in coordination with the Operations Director.
• Maintain the project approval tracking sheet and work closely with the Programs Director, Operations Director and Head of Office in securing the necessary approvals for new projects.
• Work closely with the Operations Director and Head of Office in maintaining regular communications with MOPIC and other national government departments.
• Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission in Yemen.
• Responsible use and confidentiality of any information identified as sensitive.
• Other duties as assigned.
Organizational Learning: As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve - we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: Administration Assistant, Procurement Officer and Logistics Assistant in Aden and Operations Officers in Mukalla and Al Dhale'e. The Senior Operations Officer also has a dotted line to the Administration Assistant regarding Representation/Government Liaison-related activities.
Accountability: Accountable for the Field Administration Manual, Field Procurement Manual (FP3) and Field Fleet Management Guidelines as well as other Mercy Corps policies and procedures, such as the code of conduct, conflict of interest in procurement policy, national staff handbook and position description.
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO Head of Office and technically to Operations Director
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH Other Operations staff in Aden and Sana’a as well as Finance, Security, Human Resources, IT and Program teams. Coordinate with Regional PALM Advisors as and when required. Coordinate with the Country Director as and when required.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
• At least Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field.
• A minimum of 3 years of experience in administration, procurement or logistics.
• Highly developed organizational skills.
• Strong understanding of procurement and contracting procedures.
• Demonstrated ability to negotiate with landlords, contractors and other service providers.
• Experience in agency representation and working cooperatively with government offices/departments.
• Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members is required.
• Good team management skills.
• Good oral and written English skills.
• Good computer skills on MS Office programs, especially in MS Excel.
A positive attitude and an ability to work effectively as part of a dynamic team in a stressful environment.
• Excellent skills in problem-solving and in results-oriented approach to operations management.
• Ability to productively work as a member of an overall operations and country team and as an individual.
• Ability to independently create and foster positive working relationships within the Yemen team as well as with colleagues in the regional office and HQ.
Please note that Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer. As a result, Mercy Corps Yemen recruits staff members based on the qualifications for the position, without regard to tribal affiliation, race, color, religion, age, national origin, gender, disability, HIV status, marital status, or any other characteristic that may be protected by law.
- Please if you are interesting send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
- please mention in the email subject the position and location you apply for it.