Function Title: Finance/Admin Officer NOA / Aden
Contract type: Fixed Term
Position grade: NOA
Contract duration: 12 months (with possibility of extension)
Duty Station: Aden Area Office, Yemen
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Advanced University degree in Finance, Business Administration, Accounting, or related fields, or First University degree in the same subject(s) with additional years of related work experience plus membership in an international recognized professional accountancy body such as Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), Institute of Certified Public Accounts (ICPA) or equivalent.
Language: Fluency (level C) in English language and fluency (level C) in Arabic language.
To support the stewardship of WFP’s resources, monitoring budgets, forecasting, reporting on key data and providing basic administrative and human resource functions that enable effective management of funds, and ensure assistance to beneficiaries is undertaken in the most efficient and effective way possible.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
Under the Administrative supervision of the Head of Aden Area Office and technical supervision of Head of Finance/Admin – Country Office, the incumbent will perform the following:
1. Maintain awareness of corporate finance and resource management strategies and major ongoing programmatic initiatives, participating where appropriate using finance and resource management expertise.
2. Contribute towards the development of country specific plans and processes, aligned with Regional and wider WFP strategy, policies and processes to meet the food assistance needs of beneficiaries within the Country.
3. Report on key data for financial status and outcomes of projects in accordance with corporate governance requirements, ensuring accuracy, deadlines, and accounting processes are complied with.
4. Monitor budgets, and carry out forecasting for new and ongoing projects according to established corporate procedures and requirements.
5. Perform bank reconciliations, disbursements, clearance of receivables, overall cash management and monthly financial closures on a regular basis in accordance with corporate requirements.
6. Where necessary, deliver core administrative services, working with contractors and following standard processes to provide cost-effective, quality and timely services to WFP staff.
7. Other as required.
Specific Finance Job Profile
1. Disbursement: ensure all payments to suppliers and staff are adequately supported, reviewed and effected within 5 working days
2. Reporting: ensure all relevant reports (such as MMC, petty cash etc) are promptly prepared and submitted within the applicable deadlines
3. Monitoring: Regularly monitor bank balances to ensure adequate balances at all times
4. Review open items and ensure they are cleared within the applicable deadlines
5. Perform bank reconciliation statement on monthly bases
6. Assist in budget preparation.
Specific Admin Job Profile
1. Ensure WFP’s Administrative resources of the Area Office are fully and properly accounted for and internal control systems are adequate and functioning.
2. Assess expenditure in Administration (office premises, assets, travel, etc.) for previous years estimate new requirements and prepare budget plans for designated areas of work.
3. Supervise the Administration of common premises to ensure efficiency, cost effectiveness and timeliness of operations and services.
4. Supervise Area/sub office transport: Regular review of policies for the use of vehicles and ensure best uses of WFP vehicles.
5. Review adequacy of office space requirement and make recommendation.
6. Liaise with CO Admin Officer to ensure shipment of non- food items from CO is done efficiently and in a more cost effective and timely manner.
7. Monitor and manage assets (Inventory recording, disposal and transfer of office assets)
8. Supervise the timely delivery and transmittal of correspondent of document and pouches between Area/Field office and CO
9. Other as required.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Understands WFP’s Strategic Objectives and the link to own work objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Flexibly adapts individual contributions to accommodate changes in direction from supervisors and internal/external changes (such as evolving needs of beneficiaries, new requirements of partners).
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Recognizes and shares with team members the ways in which individual contributions relate to WFP’s mission.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Sets own goals in alignment with WFP’s overall operations, and is able to communicate this link to others.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Assesses own strengths and weaknesses to increase self-awareness, and includes these in conversations on own developmental needs.
- Create an inclusive culture: Participates in open dialogue, and values the diverse opinion of others, regardless of background, culture, experience, or country assignment.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Proactively seeks feedback and coaching to build confidence, and develop and improve individual skills.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Participates in accomplishing team activities and goals in the face of challenging circumstances.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Shows willingness to explore and experiment with new ideas and approaches in own work.
- Focus on getting results: Consistently delivers results within individual scope of work on time, on budget and without errors.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Commits to upholding individual accountabilities and responsibilities in the face of ever-changing country or functional priorities.
- Be Decisive: Makes rational decisions about individual activities when faced with uncertain circumstances, including in times of ambiguity regarding information or manager direction.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Seeks to understand and adapt to internal or cross-unit teams’ priorities and preferred working styles.
- Build strong external partnerships: Demonstrates ability to understand and appropriately respond to and/or escalate needs of external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Portrays an informed and professional demeanor toward internal and external partners and stakeholders.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Provides operational support on analyses and assessments that quantifies and demonstrates WFP’s unique value as a partner.
|Capability Name||Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level|
|Internal Controls & Compliance||Utilizes understanding of risk management approaches and internal controls to monitor projects and programmes to confirm regulatory compliance and ensure data integrity.|
|Performance Budgeting, Reporting & Analysis||Analyzes budgets and forecasts to support the development of recommendations for senior leadership on financial and business planning matters in accordance with Value for Money principles.|
|Resources Management (People, time, assets, etc.)||Monitors trends in staffing and resource usage to anticipate and escalate potential issues to programme leaders.|
|Financial Management & Accounting Principles||Applies knowledge of financial and accounting principles and practices to ensure compliance with WFP policies, applicable procedures and accounting standards.|
|Supply Chain and Operations Knowledge||Applies working knowledge of WFP programme and supply chain principles to develop and/or review project budget plans.|
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
This section is optional to describe additional responsibilities & knowledge required for the specific job.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
• Has performed basic financial analyses at a national and/or operational level.
• Has experience managing financial transactions.
To view the job description and apply to this vacancy, please go to:
1.Create your online CV
2.Click on “Apply”
3.Click on Create an account