Ended Senior WASH Officer
Location : Sana'a
Report to : WaSH Manager
Position Description/ Scope of Work (Essential Duties) provide at least 6-8 bullet points:
- Implement SHEFA funded water, sanitation and hygiene promotion activities in close collaboration with WaSH engineers and HP team with the guidance of WaSH coordinator and manager
- Provide regular reports on and program progress against work plans and program activities
- Assist in establishing rapports with the beneficiaries and help in sensitizing beneficiaries about various aspects, requirements and information needed to ensure participation in the project’s activities.
- Supervise activities in the project areas to address key hygiene practices such as focus group discussions, community meetings, campaigns, drama presentation and other relevant approaches.
- Supervise the process of needs assessments, baseline and other periodic studies.
- Ensure that projects are carried out with participation from all relevant stakeholders, including
- Conduct updated assessment (directly and remotely) of current situation in collaboration with relevant stakeholders; determine priorities and immediate activities and resources.
- Assess and monitor field based resources and capacities for response (human, material and financial).
- Ensure quality implementation of defined aims and objectives of the overall WASH response program.
- Plan and manage WASH programs in a phased and prioritized manner with full consultation and co-ordination with International Medical Corps’ staff and other agencies both governmental and non-governmental.
- Define, in collaboration with other actors, a suitable hygiene promotion strategy for camp and host community contexts.
- Ensure Sphere standards both qualitative and quantitative are considered and any departures
Under the supervision of WASH Manager and Coordinator, the Senior WaSH Officer will be charged with the prioritization and coordination of the start-up and management of technical interventions. S/he will be supporting the WASH team in in the assessment, planning, design, implementation, supervision, expansion/development and administration of technical interventions. These will have a strong link to ongoing or planned water, sanitation and hygiene promotion activities.
Duties and Responsibilities
•Conduct updated assessment (directly and remotely) of current situation in collaboration with relevant stakeholders; determine priorities and immediate activities and resources.
•Assess and monitor field based resources and capacities for response (human, material and financial).
•Ensure quality implementation of defined aims and objectives of the overall WASH response program.
•Plan and manage WASH programs in a phased and prioritized manner with full consultation and co-ordination with International Medical Corps’ staff and other agencies both governmental and non-governmental.
• Work with Engineers and select and design water systems including source selection, abstraction, storage, treatment and distribution for new systems and/or the rehabilitation of old systems.
•Ensure appropriate management and operation of sanitation system (including excreta disposal, vector control, solid waste disposal, drainage) taking full account of local conditions, resources, customs and cultural norms.
•Define, in collaboration with other actors, a suitable hygiene promotion strategy for camp and host community contexts.
•Ensure that issues of protection, gender, and environmental impact, operation and maintenance and sustainability are factored into the program design.
•Ensure Sphere standards both qualitative and quantitative are considered and any departures documented.
•Organize with the logistics and finance departments materials and support needed for all activities.
•Build a team that has the capacity to respond to the emergency, and assist in hiring and training as needed.
- Assist in the hiring and development of qualified program staff
- Supervise technical staff to ensure smooth and effective operations
- Maintain open lines of communications with all field staff
- Determine and address training needs for subordinate WASH staff
• Train senior national staff to increase their responsibilities in order to build capacity and ensure consistency and sustainability of intervention
- Maintain frequent communication with WASH coordinator, WaSH manager and senior management to ensure program activities and objectives are communicated
- Work with Logistics and Finance staff to ensure the timely coordination of programs supplies are within budgeted targets
- Interface with national government and relevant agencies as necessary
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering, or related field.
- 3+ years of relevant work experience (minimum of 2 years in humanitarian situations
- Experience in emergency response, including rapid assessments and needs analysis
- Experience in effective hygiene promotion in humanitarian contexts.
- Demonstrated analytical, project conceptual and planning skills projects, clear and realistic activity
- Fluency in English (both oral and written skills)
- Able to prepare plans and reports, planning, negotiation and leadership skills.
- Willingness to travel in highly insecurity areas.
- Profound cross-cultural awareness and sound knowledge of public health issues
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions independently
- Extremely flexible, and have the ability to cope with stressful situations and frustrations
- Creativity and the ability to work with limited resources
candidates need to submit their CVs to IMC-YemenHR@internationalmedicalcorps.org and need to “write the title of the position they apply for it” in the "email subject line"