Ended Site Maintenance Assistant (Electrician)
Function Title: Site Maintenance Assistant (Electrician)
Contract type: Service Contract
Position grade: SC4
Contract duration: 12 months (with possibility of extension)
Duty Station: Sana’a Country Office, Yemen
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Completion of secondary school education. Demonstrated qualification in electricity. Completion of technical/vocational school or electrical certification is desirable.
Experience: Four or more years of progressively responsible and proven effective experience in planning and executing specialized electrical installations, maintenance and repair work, and at least one year at G3 level or equivalent.
Language: Fluency (level C) in English and in Arabic.
Nationality and residency: The applicant should be either a Yemeni national or have a valid Yemeni residence/work permit at the time of application.
Knowledge & Skills:
• Good knowledge of how to read and understand blue prints and technical diagrams.
• Knowledge of safety precautions.
• Ability to inspect and evaluate equipment/appliances and resolve malfunctioning quickly including ability to perform tests and use the results to diagnose problems.
• Ability to carry out installation of the equipment/appliances expertly and sometimes under difficult and awkward physical circumstances.
• Ability to use hand and power tools.
• Ability to multi-task and respond simultaneously and in a timely fashion to job requirements.
• Ability to maintain accurate and precise records.
• High sense of responsibility and punctuality.
• Honesty and integrity.
• Ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing and draft various correspondence.
• Ability to work in a multicultural environment.
• Ability to work in a team and provide technical supervision to other staff.
Within the assigned unit and delegated authority, the job holders are expected to perform with minimum supervision and carry out specialized installation, maintenance and repair tasks requiring specific training and experience. They usually specialize in electrical wiring of buildings, installation of new electrical components and maintenance and repair of existing electrical infrastructure and devices; or they may lead a team, and/or provide technical supervision and guidance to staff and external contractors on a range of site maintenance services. These jobs require a good physical fit to lift and handle heavy items and work in all types of weather conditions wearing protective clothing.
To provide a full range of skilful site maintenance services including installation, maintenance and repair of electrical equipment/appliances to support safe, comfortable and reliable working environment.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
1. Plan, coordinate and provide a full range of site maintenance and installation works, to ensure preventive maintenance (e.g. for generators, water heaters, water pumps, etc.) is carried out regularly ensuring well-functioning equipment.
2. Coordinate portering and cleaning services, to ensure organized, safe and clean work environment.
3. Support deployment of and provide technical supervision to external contractors, to facilitate efficient and cost-effective servicing or intervention for any major electrical installations, maintenance or repairs.
4. Install, maintain and repair all kinds of electrical equipment and appliances including wiring and distribution systems, to ensure safe and reliable working environment in compliance with electrical standards.
5. Perform regular and ad hoc installations, repairs and maintenance of electrical systems and components, to ensure all installations meet established safety standards.
6. Assist in maintaining accurate inventory records through physical check and maintenance of lists/database, and arrange disposal of identified equipment and materials, strictly following WFP assets management guidelines.
7. Compile and provide accurate reports on works undertaken, services provided, materials procured and used for installations/repairs including accurate generator fuel log books, to support accurate accounting and enable efficient planning for future works/services.
8. Contribute to evaluation of required installation/repair works, compare prices of materials, and contribute to planning of future preventive maintenance works, to support efficient and cost-effective site maintenance services.
9. Any other duties related to the Area of Responsibility
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Helps teammates articulate WFP’s Strategic Objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Suggests potential improvements to team’s work processes to supervisor.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Explains the impact of WFP activities in beneficiary communities to teammates.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Articulates how own unit’s responsibilities will serve WFP’s mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Trains junior teammates on new skills and capabilities.
- Create an inclusive culture: Seeks opportunities to work with people from different backgrounds.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Serves as a peer coach for colleagues in same area of work.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Tracks progress toward goals and shares this information on a regular basis with supervisor.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Explores ways to consistently be more efficient and accurate in own areas of work and shares new methods of work with colleagues.
- Focus on getting results: Focuses on getting results and tracks trends in completion rates for own tasks to identify opportunities for efficiency.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Takes responsibility for own tasks and notifies supervisor as soon as possible of potential delays in meeting deadlines or commitments.
- Be Decisive: Independently decides what action to take when faced with critical choices in the workplace or in dangerous situations in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Suggests opportunities for partnering with other units to supervisor.
- Build strong external partnerships: Identifies opportunities to work with colleagues and partners in the field towards common goals.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Develops an understanding of the value of WFP’s teams and external partners in fulfilling team’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Aligns own activities with supervisor’s priorities to fulfill internal and external partner needs.
To view the job description and apply to this vacancy, please go to:
1.Create your online CV
2.Click on “Apply”
3.Click on Create an account