WASH Assistant This job has ended. You cannot apply anymore.
Duty Station Hajjah – Aflah Al-Yemen
Who are we?
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
DRC has been operating in the Middle East (ME) region for over a decade, running a combination of emergency, livelihood, protection and advocacy programmes through Country Offices (COs) in Yemen, Syria, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon and Turkey with a Regional Office (RO) in Amman.
DRC Yemen’s response
Throughout its nine field offices and a workforce of 450 staff, DRC upholds its main programmatic objectives to provide immediate and life sustaining assistance, to strengthen the protective environment, and to reduce displacement related risks and vulnerabilities by promoting self-reliance at household and community level.
About the job
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) has been providing relief services at worldwide since 1956 and working in Yemen since 2008 responding to the protection, WASH and Livelihoods needs of IDPs, migrants, children and local communities in collaboration with key national and international agencies. The WASH Team Leader is a critical position to provide the above services.
Geographic scope: Country (Yemen)
DRC Yemen is seeking an experienced WASH Assistant to ensure that water, sanitation and hygiene activities are implementing effectively in accordance with the culture and practices of the local population. It is a key DRC position, with DRC expecting that the post holder with be qualified and possess WASH skills, knowledge and attitude to be immediately effective in the field paying special attention to women and girls. The WASH Assistant will report to the WASH Team Leader or the Officer at the targeted district. This position is based in Aflah Al-Yemen District, Hajja governorate and entail travel to the field/targeted locations.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Assist in the implementation of WASH assessments and data collection activities such as beneficiaries’ lists.
2. Facilitate water testing activities to ensure water quality improvements and sustainability over time.
3. Facilitate and follow-up the water treatment at all levels and at household level in particular.
4. Liaise with community water management committees in areas where WASH infrastructure is being rehabilitated to help ensure local ownership and assist in developing sustainable mechanisms for operations and maintenance.
5. Mobilization of local communities to support WASH activities at household’s level and water sources, and to provide the required efforts that will help on prevention and control measures, and ensure problem solving.
6. Provide technical support on hygiene education to CHVs and community members.
7. Provide daily follow-up for the hygiene promotion sessions at household level.
8. Facilitate the distribution of hygiene kits and ensure the right selection for vulnerable families.
9. Contributing to the preparation of internal reports.
10. Accomplish the other necessary activities related to the office and program and tasks assigned by the Supervisor.
Experience and technical competencies:
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant area.
- At least 1 year experience in WASH.
- Self-motivated and able to work with a minimum of guidance.
- INGO experience preferred.
- To be from the local residents of the targeted district is preferable.
- Good English spoken & written skills.
- Good report writing skills
- Fluency in Arabic language (written and spoken)
You are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Contract length: Till 31/12/2021, with possible extension based on fund and performance.
Work place: Hajjah – Aflah al-Yemen
Start date: ASAP
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for
Expatriates; please refer to www.drc.ngo under Vacancies. This position will be placed at level (NMI).
How to Apply
Important Notes / مقترحات هامة
إتباع تعليمات التقديم المذكورة في كل إعلان ستزيد من فرصة النظر لسيرتك الذاتية من قبل الجهة المعلنة
تذكر أن تكتب إسم الوظيفة و موقعها في عنوان البريد عندما يكون التقديم عبر الإيميل