WASH Engineer-Officer This job has ended. You cannot apply anymore.
Job Title: WASH Engineer-Officer
Duty Station: Yemen, Ibb - Taiz
International Medical Corps (IMC) has been in Yemen since 2012, delivering comprehensive essential health, nutrition, WASH, and food security assistance in Aden, Al Dhale’e, Ibb, Lahj Sana'a, and Taiz. Specifically, IMC has been supporting 76 health facilities and its catchment communities with the integrated progrmming. Given its presence in Yemen prior to the conflict, IMC has been able to build upon its relationships with target communities, local councils, GHOs/DHOs, and local and international humanitarian actors to swiftly transition its programming to respond to emergency needs. Water, Sanitation and Hygiene is one of the key program pillars of IMC’s emergency response in Yemen. As a part of its response strategy, IMC’s WASH interventions focus on addressing aggravated risk of WASH-related diseases resulting from lack of access to water and basic sanitation services and hygiene items.
The WASH Engineer with engineering background/experience is responsible for planning and implementation of all rehabilitation components of WASH program and related project sites. Responsibilities shall include but not limited to: developing monthly plans based on the master plan, ensuring the implementation of all activities to achieve expected results, staff supervision and mentoring, reporting and data collection, identification of unmet needs and participation in the program coordination team at field level. He/she will be overseeing implementation of the hardware (water and sanitation) component parts of WASH linked with health/Nutrition and FSL. The position holder will ensure that project activities are consistent with International Medical Corp’s programming principles and approaches, draw on relevant best practices and lessons learned towards improving the quality of life through health interventions and related activities through building the local population’s capacity and extend assistance to people at risk, which is within the framework of IMC’s overall mission.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- With support from the Senior WASH Officer and head of office; develop, implement, and monitor monthly activity plans to achieve expected results, which include planning of activities, budgets and procurement.
- Ensure that all planned activities are implemented on time, to quality measures and within budget as per the monthly plan. Where challenges arise, ensure that these are flagged early, communicated to the head of office, and addressed in an appropriate way.
- In collaboration with the WASH Officer, assess all water and sanitation schemes in the project area including public institutions like health facilities and schools.
- Develop detail bill of quantities (BOQ) and drawings for the construction /Rehabilitation works required to bring the WASH facilities into full functionality.
- Develop specifications based on assessment and program requirements, ensuring that recommended work is child-friendly and within the minimum SPHERE standard
- Develop rehabilitation and construction project budget estimates
- Supervise the construction/rehabilitation process, ensuring that it is completed within timelines and in accordance with approved BOQs
- Where necessary, take samples for laboratory testing of materials and workmanship
- Ensure that variations are approved by head of office / Program manager and /or WASH/CLTS specialist according to IMC procedures before giving work order to the contractor
- Verify incoming materials are of the highest quality and from acceptable country of origin (as required)
- Certify achievement of contractual milestones
- Develop and implement safety standard checklists ensuring that children’s safety is central
- Seek and obtain appropriate government sign-off on works at the critical stages, especially at the start and completion of the work
- Ensure the Contractor is compliant with IMC safety and security protocols on all construction/rehab sites.
- Ensure strong integration of soft-ware and hardware parts of the WASH sector through working closely with WASH Officer and/or with hygiene promotion team.
- Provide the logistic team and/or the Bid Committee with technical support and analysis
- As appropriate, ensure that the contractor maintains proper inventory control systems of commodities/goods transactions
- Technical training of community volunteers, members of WASH committees, governmental staff on the use and maintenance of the WATSAN facilities.
- Validate the progress and quality of work of the contractors, track payments and ensure controls in place to approve payments based on acceptable delivery of terms of contract and meeting of deadlines.
- Coordinate WASH construction activities with other local actors (governmental and non-governmental).
- Build strong relationship with local and government partners, GARWP (the General Authority for Rural Water Projects) and Taiz Water Cooperation.
- Write and submit weekly activity reports and filed visit reports at critical points of the construction/rehabilitation works.
- With support from the WASH Officer, contribute to proposal writing for project area based on the identified gaps.
- Carry out monitoring and evaluation of project activities as agreed in a monitoring and evaluation framework, while ensuring collection of data in timely manner.
- Ensure that projects are carried out with participation from all relevant stakeholders, including disaster affected children and their families.
Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse: Actively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards within International Medical Corps and amongst beneficiaries served by International Medical Corps.
Compliance & Ethics: Promotes and encourages a culture of compliance and ethics throughout the International Medical Corps. As applicable to the position, maintains a clear understanding of International Medical Corps’ and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards. Conducts work with the highest level of integrity.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- University Degree in Civil, Water, Structural Engineering OR equivalent fields with minimum of 4 years of experience in the sector.
- At least 2 years of experience in planning and implementation of small-scale construction works, mainly community based water and sanitation related works.
- Previous experience of working effectively as part of a WASH project team Experience in supervision of contractors and contract administration
- Effective use of computers – Word and Excel and preferably a design and drawing software like AUTOCAD.
- Commitment to working through systems of community participation and accountability
- Good knowledge of safety standards and legislation related to construction and rehabilitation in Yemen
- A good team worker willing to learn from others, listen and provide sound technical advice on construction that will benefit affected people
- Strong organizational and planning skills with good communication skills
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
- The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances.
- Oral and written Language skills in English
- Commitment to the aims and principles of IMC. In particular, a good understanding of promoting each person’s right to integrity, respect and dignity, while working towards protecting beneficiaries and vulnerable populations from sexual exploitation and Abuse by aid workers.
- Registration with a relevant professional authority in Yemen
- Experience in contract administration and supervision of contractors
- Experience or knowledge of working and living in relevant regions/contexts
- NGO or humanitarian programming experience
- Good knowledge of CLTS approach
“International Medical Corps is proud to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability or status as a veteran.”
International Medical Corps never asks job applicants for a fee, payment, or other monetary transaction. If you are asked for money in connection with this recruitment, please report to International Medical Corps at the website provided at the end of this document.
Website for reporting misconduct: www.InternationalMedicalCorps.ethicspoint.com. Please do not submit your CV or application to this website, it will not be considered for review
How to Apply
Important Notes / مقترحات هامة
إتباع تعليمات التقديم المذكورة في كل إعلان ستزيد من فرصة النظر لسيرتك الذاتية من قبل الجهة المعلنة
تذكر أن تكتب إسم الوظيفة و موقعها في عنوان البريد عندما يكون التقديم عبر الإيميل