WASH Engineers (2)
Location: 1 Aden & Lahj & 1 AlDale’a
Reporting to: WASH Manager
International Medical Corps is a global humanitarian organization saving and rebuilding lives through health care, training and community development. International Medical Corps works alongside International Medical Corps Worldwide, responding to humanitarian emergencies and communities afflicted by conflict, poverty and natural disaster in more than 20 countries around the world.
JOB SUMMARY/ PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
Under the supervision of WASH Manager, the WaSH Engineer will be responsible for correct delivery and impact of hygiene promotion activities, good participation of target communities and other local stakeholders in close collaboration with Project partners. The Hygiene Promotion Officer will also be responsible for training the community on hygiene and providing feedback for purposes of improving Program quality
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop rehabilitation and construction project budget estimates
- Supervise the construction/rehabilitation process, ensuring that it is completed within timelines and in accordance with approved BOQs
- Where necessary, take samples for laboratory testing of materials and workmanship
- Ensure that variations are approved by head of office / Program manager according to IMC procedures before giving work order to the contractor
- Verify incoming materials are of the highest quality and from acceptable country of origin (as required)
- Certify achievement of contractual milestones
- Develop and implement safety standard checklists ensuring that children’s safety is central
- Seek and obtain appropriate government sign-off on works at the critical stages; especially at the start and completion of the work
- Ensure the Contractor is compliant with IMC safety and security protocols on all construction/rehab sites.
- Ensure strong integration of soft-ware and hardware parts of the WASH sector through working closely with WASH Officer and/or with hygiene promotion team.
- Provide the logistic team and/or the Bid Committee with technical support and analysis
- As appropriate, ensure that the contractor maintains proper inventory control systems of commodities/goods transactions
- Technical training of community volunteers, members of WASH committees, governmental staff on the use and maintenance of the WATSAN facilities.
- Validate the progress and quality of work of the contractors, track payments and ensure controls in place to approve payments based on acceptable delivery of terms of contract and meeting of deadlines.
- Coordinate WASH construction activities with other local actors (governmental and non-governmental).
- Build strong relationship with local and government partners, GARWP (the General Authority for Rural Water Projects) and Taiz Water Cooperation.
- Write and submit weekly activity reports and filed visit reports at critical points of the construction/rehabilitation works.
- With support from the senior WASH Officer, contribute to proposal writing for project area based on the identified gaps.
- Carry out monitoring and evaluation of project activities as agreed in a monitoring and evaluation framework, while ensuring collection of data in timely manner.
- Ensure that projects are carried out with participation from all relevant stakeholders, including disaster affected children and their families
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
1- Bachelor’s degree in Civil engineer, Diploma/Degree in hydraulics or related fields.
2- Two years of practical experience in wash project implementation preferably with NGO
3- Experience in emergency response, including rapid assessments and needs analysis
4- Experience in water, sewage system design and supervision.
5- Experience in solid waste and dumpsite management
6- Able to prepare plans and reports, planning, negotiation and leadership skills.
7- Willingness to travel in highly insecurity areas.
8- Profound cross-cultural awareness and sound knowledge of public health issues
9- Project management capacity, ability to analyse and synthesize, organizational qualities, diplomacy, flexibility and dynamism
10- Demonstrated analytical, project conceptual and planning skills projects, clear and realistic activity
11- Fluency in English (both oral and written skills)
candidates need to submit their CVs to IMC-YemenHR@internationalmedicalcorps.org and need to “write the title of the position they apply for it” in the "email subject line"
“International Medical Corps is proud to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability or status as a veteran.”