National Programme Coordinator (Environmental and Social Safeguards)
Job Posting : 13/Sep/2021
Closure Date : 28/Sep/2021, 12:59:00 AM
Organizational Unit: FNYAR
Job Type: Non-staff opportunities
Type of Requisition: NPP (National Project Personnel)
Grade Level: N/A
Primary Location: Yemen-Sana'A
Post Number: N/A
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member nations and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold our values. FAO has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and FAO, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination
- All selected candidates, therefore, will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
- The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
FAO's office for Yemen is responsible for developing, promoting, overseeing and implementing agreed strategies for addressing countrywide food, agriculture and rural development priorities under Yemen. It develops and maintains relations with the relevant Ministries at country level. This position is based in FAO Representation in Sanaa, Yemen. The main aim of the FAO country offices, which are headed by an FAO Representative, is to assist governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner.
The Safeguard Coordinator will be under the overall supervision the FAO Representative in Yemen, general supervision of Lead Technical Officer and the direct supervision of the Agricultural officer.
The incumbent will facilitate compliance of the projects with environmental and social safeguards standards of FAO and donors, acting as a focal point within the Projects Management Units and coordinating the required inputs from the Project Implementation Teams.
Tasks and responsibilities
1. Support the drafting of projects concepts notes and proposals especially the projects related to climate change
2. Prepare any specialized instruments (studies) or safeguards tools to determine any potential negative environmental and/or social impacts which may accompany some of the projects interventions. (Screening Checklists, Stakeholder Engagement Plan (SEP), Pest and Pesticide Management Plan (PPMP), Labor Management Procedures (LMP), Environmental and Social Management Framework (ESMF), Resettlement Policy Framework (RPF) and site-specific ESMP’s and PMP’s.
3. Supervise the implementation of projects safeguards tools, compliance, sustainable performance and quality assurance of all safeguards.
4. Strengthening the technical capacity of the safeguards team as well as guarantee strong involvement of FAO ESM Unit at HQs.
5. Coach and supervise the safeguards team and GBVAs and follow up the day-to-day management (review, screening, preparation, implementation, monitoring, evaluation, and reporting) of all specific sub/components activities, as well as for ensuring compliance with the safeguards tools such as ESCP, ESMF, PMP, RPF, LMP, SEP, GBVAP, GRM, Social Inclusion and Citizen Engagement documents, including keeping/recording proper documentation in the project file for possible review by the WBG or donors and FAO’s ESM-Rome team, whenever deemed necessary.
6. Coordinate the environmental and social impact assessment exercise of sub-projects to check the activity is permissible (as per the legal and regulatory requirements of the projects); determine the level of environmental and social assessment required based on the level of expected impacts and establish where Environmental and Social Management Plans (ESMP) will be required, providing estimate costs of implementation.
7. Support and follow up safeguards issues and facilitate compliance of all safeguards tools and disclosure.
8. Coordinate the monitoring and reporting of safeguards tools during the projects implementation to ensure the safeguards performance is regularly reported.
9. Compile information from quarterly reports received related to safeguards to feed in the six-month report.
10. Lead the compilation of pre-implementation environmental and social safeguard documents for sub-projects prior to the implementation of activities, that include a description of the implementing sites, the activities to be carried out, aggregated results of the environmental and social screening checklists per sub-project and Environmental and Social Management Plans identifying mitigation measures, indicators, responsibilities and timeframe.
11. Supervise the establishment of adequate multiple access points to receive complaints from stakeholders, ensure they are known to beneficiaries and act as focal point to receive and file claims accordingly and monitor the effectiveness of the access points, proposing any improvement needed in order to resolve and handle complaints at site;
12. Communicate to the Chief Technical Advisor and guide on addressing concerns brought to the attention of the focal points regarding any safeguards issues due to subprojects activities.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- • Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in Environmental Science, or closely related fields.
- • At least 7 years of relevant operational experience and proven track record in working on projects covering a broad range of environmental and social issues
- • Knowledge and understanding of international environmental and social safeguards standards and practices.
- • Demonstrated experience in the field working on development projects.
- • The incumbent must have the ability to build effective working relationships with national and international colleagues, with different cultural and technical background
- • National of Yemen
FAO Core Competencies
- • Results Focus
- • Teamwork
- • Communication
- • Building Effective Relationships
- • Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement.
- • Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable
- • Skills in monitoring capacity development activities of project
- • Good interpersonal and networking skills with partners at all levels (ministry, NGOs and local community based organizations).
- • Demonstrated capacity to plan, advise and guide compliance with environmental and social safeguards, including compliance with stakeholder engagement requirements
- • Demonstrated ability to liaise with multiple agencies, effectively building an understanding and partnership with other UN bodies, NGOs, and governmental agencies.
- • Ability to plan, organize, implement and report.
- • Excellent communication, writing and presentation skills in English.
- • The incumbent must possess teamwork spirit, ability to work under minimum supervision.
- • Understanding of complex emergencies; experience working in insecure and crisis environment.
- • Proven strong communication, interpersonal and negotiation skills; Analytical skills and experience.
- • Ability to keep sensitive information as confidential.
FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing)
Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you need help please contact: Careers@fao.org
Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted
Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications
For additional employment opportunities visit the FAO employment website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/
How to Apply
To apply please click on the below link:
Important Notes / مقترحات هامة
إتباع تعليمات التقديم المذكورة في كل إعلان ستزيد من فرصة النظر لسيرتك الذاتية من قبل الجهة المعلنة
تذكر أن تكتب إسم الوظيفة و موقعها في عنوان البريد عندما يكون التقديم عبر الإيميل