Ended Management Information System (MIS) Officer
Management Information System (MIS) Officer
Division : Operations
Location : Sanaa, Yemen with possible visits to hub offices
Reports to : Operations Manager
Duration : One year extendable
Organization & Background
YFCA is a leading non-governmental, non-profit humanitarian organization established in 1976 to improve woman and child health. Dramatic changes in YFCA’s mandates were introduced gradually to accommodate the emerging needs of women, children, youth and vulnerable groups. From that Health perspective, YFCA programs incorporate wider thematic interventions including WASH, Shelter, Nutrition, Food Security, Agriculture and Livelihood, Education, Early Recovery and Protection. To pursue its unchanging humanitarian mission, YFCA will thoughtfully continue its expansion process to respond to the ever-changing needs of affected communities and vulnerable groups.
OVERVIEW OF TASKS
The MIS Officer is responsible for leading the efforts to follow up the new Management Information System (MIS), to liaising and consulting widely to promote and market effective corporate information and records management practices, coordinate needs and provide recommendations that align with the strategic direction for departmental corporate knowledge and records management. He leads the planning, development and implementation of hardware, software applications, programming and systems network and integration of a management information system and network. He is also in charge for personnel, sub-office and supervisory assignments as well as creating plans for the use of telecommunications integration with existing and new customized information and software systems. He is also responsible for providing high level advice to programs and units/departments on the management and workflows of corporate information and records in a dynamic technological environment. In addition to maintaining and supporting business systems which includes assisting users with system and software functionality and technical issues, and training them on how to use new applications.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Follow up and monitor closely the installation of the MIS system
- Lead a process to develop, customise and establish an efficient MIS and database systems
- Develops MIS database user manual and establishes procedures, operating manuals and maintenance, and standards for access to data processing facilities and the data itself
- Monitors, evaluate and follow up the use and results of MIS system at all levels as regular technical role
- Conducts orientation on developed MIS database to staff and other partners as required
- Assist in providing data and information to programs, departments and other members of the team for producing regular as well as irregular reports
- Reviews and improves MIS to include future expansion of target participants, interventions and computerisation to district levels and self-evaluation system using the programs
- Develops appropriate formats for collecting data for database management in coordination with programs and operations teams at all levels
- Assists programs, operations and research team members in collecting and compiling data from the field, analysing and producing reports
- Assists other staff in preparing the M&E indicators in relation to objectives, outputs and activities as defined in projects' results and resource framework
- Provides statistics reports and follow up as per programs and operations' specific needs
- Applies and implements the principles and processes of gender as the cross cutting issue
- Develops different software as per the need of the programs, operations and research
- Designs a dual language information retrieval system (Intranet) for all major programme documents, reports and manuals produced in coordination with the other team members in the respective divisions
- Assists in the management of the evaluation, development, implementation, maintenance, review and support of the organizational electronic document and records management system
- Prepares and submit reports based on the information and data received from programs, hub offices and other departments as required
- Improves, updates and create -when necessary- Website and social media pages regularly and provide technical support in computer system to all staff
- Identifies new information and data requirements to support operations and partners and provides emergency response management to programs and stakeholders
- Supports the promotion of data and information sharing within the stakeholders where appropriate.
- Attends meetings and conferences as requested
- Any other related assignments
- Determines field based computer resource requirements and installs computer hardware and operating systems, productivity software and other related software as required
- Diagnoses and repair user issues related to personal computers, phones, video conferencing
- Maintains PC security systems to ensure that access to data is restricted to authorized staff
- Arranges for and ensures appropriate server backups are preformed and stored on a regular basis
- Manages and coordinates all equipment repairs, warranty issues, purchasing specifications in accordance with IT standards
- Works with differing levels of technology and keep abreast of the latest developments and innovations in the IT field
- Provides guidance to sub offices concerning IT needs / planning. This would involve travelling to project sites on occasion for hands on support.
Webpage and Social Media Development:
- Maintains, develops and improve corporate website and social media pages
- Assists in formatting, writing, and posting online news items, updates, and other relevant items, captions videos, creates electronic files in a variety of complex formats including graphics, and posts on the web site
- Assists in modifying and updating corporate webpage data according to information received from relevant departments.
- Maintains social media presence
- Establishes system for insuring outdated web data and information is purged
Database Management. Staff Support and Training
- Develops and maintains complex databases and management information systems in coordination with concerned staff/departments
- Works with the other departments to design web and mobile-based systems to monitor project implementation, including data collection and management.
- Assists programs' staff, partners, and community representatives to integrate use of mobile technology in program training and other activities.
- Directly work with consulting firm / individual consultant (if any) in guidance with core executive staff on MIS issues.
- Provides MIS training to staff and partners, as required
- Supports Communications and Advocacy, MEAL, Research and other department/programs staff to use MIS effectively.
- Performs routine system maintenance, backing up systems and applications and ensures the integrity of the stored business information by implementing security measures to be adhered by all users within the organization.
- Prepares periodic MIS reports
- Audits system data and makes necessary modifications
- Develops correspondence; coordinates the development, organization and maintenance of training modules for staff, volunteers and beneficiaries
- Assists in documentation at programs/projects and medial events as needed
- Promotes sharing of knowledge and experience, and actively works towards continued personal learning and development.
- Excellent practical knowledge of inter-disciplinary development and humanitarian response issues
- Proficiency in communication in English, including speaking, listening, reading and writing.
- Ability to go beyond established procedures and models, propose new approaches which expand the range of projects, initiatives and interventions.
- Builds strong relationships with all partner, focusing on impact and results and responds positively to critical feedback.
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
- Remains calm, in control even under pressure.
- Strong creative skills, both in devising analytic strategies and in presenting data analyses
- Proven networking, team building, organizational and communication skills
- Displays cultural, gender, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Minimum Qualifications, Experience, Knowledge and Skills
- Bachelor's degree in IT or equivalent. Master degree in Information Technology and advanced coursework in MIS or related field are desirable.
- A minimum of 5 years of strong professional background with management information systems, with exposure in development/humanitarian field.
- Ability to design and improve web structures and web visual design per specifications and needs
- Has an excellent knowledge of related networks and systems, consisting of servers and computers, IT hardware and infrastructure support, microcomputer management, data management and security
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills are needed in this occupation
- Must be able to work independently and being a team player
- Must have knowledge of: Utilization and purposes of Management Information Systems; social networking; basic digital photography; current versions of standard software applications; graphic file formats; flat file and relational databases; Web page development software, Adobe Creative Suite, and Portable Document Format (PDF); Cascading Style Sheets (CSS); research techniques; standard types of office filing systems.
- Must have skill and ability to: Maintain a complex database, management information system, and Web page development at a level to access, store, and retrieve data, set up and maintain database files, produce a variety of reports from the database; convert file formats from various applications; accurately prepare, create, format and design memos, reports, calendars, schedules, forms, technical instructions, and other documents; communicate effectively both in oral and written form; organize and prioritize work; read, interpret, and apply rules, laws, and procedures; follow instructions; research and resolve inquiries; research new technology; establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted during the course of work.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their updated CV with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 25, 2018 at the latest, mentioning the job title in the subject line. Emails without such indication will not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be conducted on a ROLLING BASIS, and based on urgency, we may fill the position prior to the closing date.