National Environmental & Social Safeguard Officer/Consultant
Division/Department: FAO Representation in Yemen
Location: Sanaa – Yemen
Expected Start Date of Assignment: ASAP
Duration: 7 months (when actually employed)
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the direct supervision of the M&E Specialist, the overall guidance of the Lead Technical Officer, in close collaboration with the Project Coordinator , the incumbent will facilitate compliance of the project with environmental and social safeguards and stakeholder engagement requirements as established in the Environmental and Social Management Framework, acting as a focal point within the Project Management Unit and coordinating the required inputs from the Project Implementation Teams
The work will be conducted as follows:
- Examination of all aspects of the project and review the tasks to be carried out.
- Preparation of a detailed work plan indicating schedules and inputs required to complete the tasks.
The work of the environmental and social safeguards officer/consultant will be guided by the FAO Environmental and Social Management Guidelines and the Environmental and Social Management Framework. When any issues arise not foreseen by FAO, ESM Unit will identify the most appropriate international/industry best practice to use as reference.
The expert will undertake the following tasks:
- Coordinate the screening exercise of sub-projects to check the activity is permissible (as per the legal and regulatory requirements of the project); determine the level of environmental assessment required based on the level of expected impacts and establish where Environmental and Social Management Plans (ESMP) will be required, providing estimate costs of implementation.
- Support stakeholder engagement process and facilitate compliance on stakeholder identification, engagement, grievance mechanism and disclosure.
- Coordinate the monitoring and reporting of ESMPs in the project monitoring plan to ensure safeguards performance is regularly reported upon along with stakeholder engagement monitoring per site.
- Compile information from quarterly reports received related to grievances to feed in the six month report.
- Lead the compilation of pre-implementation safeguard documents for sub-projects prior to the implementation of activities, that include a description of the implementing sites, the activities to be carried out, a description of the stakeholder engagement process carried out in the inception phase and the stakeholder engagement plan to be carried during implementation; a breakdown of information by site about the grievance mechanism and disclosure, aggregated results of the environmental and social screening checklists per sub-project and Environmental and Social Management Plans identifying mitigation measures, indicators, responsibilities and timeframe
- Coordinate the establishment of adequate multiple access points to receive complaints from stakeholders, ensure they are known to beneficiaries and act as focal point to receive and file claims accordingly and monitor the effectiveness of the access points, proposing any improvement needed in order to resolve and handle complaints at site;
- Brief staff on the existing grievance mechanism, how it works and dealing with receipt and handling of grievances.
- Communicate to the Chief Technical Advisor and guide on addressing concerns brought to the attention of the focal points regarding any social impact issues due to subproject activities. And document
- Prepare and manage public consultation and disclosure plans where needed;
- Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in Environmental Science, Socio-Economics or closely related fields.
- Minimum five years of relevant operational experience and proven track record in working on projects covering a broad range of environmental and social issues
- Knowledge and understanding of international environmental and social impact assessment standards and practices.
- Demonstrated experience in the field working on development projects.
- The incumbent must have the ability to build effective working relationships with national and international colleagues, with different cultural and technical background
- Demonstrated capacity to plan, advise and guide compliance with environmental and social safeguards, including compliance with stakeholder engagement requirements
- Demonstrated ability to liaise with multiple agencies, effectively building an understanding and partnership with other UN bodies, NGOs, and governmental agencies.
- Ability to plan, organize, implement and report.
- Excellent communication, writing and presentation skills in English.
- The incumbent must possess teamwork spirit, ability to work under minimum supervision, flexibility and
All applications should be sent to HR-Yemen@fao.org The job title needs to be mentioned in the email subject.
- Project-based post
- 6 months (extendable) including three-month probationary period
- Motivation/cover letter
- Fill the following table
Relevant experience (in 10 bullet points max, 100 words max)
Motivation for the position (in 30 words max)
Only candidates that comply with the above will be taken into account.