Ended Media and Communication Coordinator
DIVISION / DEPARTMENT / LOCATION: International/MENA/Yemen – Sana’a
JOB FAMILY: Communications
SALARY: As per Salary scale
LEVEL: C 2 National
JOB TYPE : Fixed Term
OXFAM PURPOSE: To work with others to overcome poverty and suffering
TEAM PURPOSE: To campaign with others for an effective humanitarian response to Yemen crisis
The role: To manage and drive delivery of media and communications strategies to support Oxfam’s programme and advocacy in Yemen Programme.
Post holder reports to: Head of Policy& Campaign
Staff reporting to this post:
BUDGET RESPONSIBILITY: None.
Categorisation and Grade: Global C2
- Managing and delivering media and communications work on Oxfam’s Yemen programme and campaign response, at national, regional and international level, coordinating the work of colleagues in a variety of countries in the region and globally.
- Work closely with Programme Managers and the Campaign Manager to make sensible and strategic decisions, which will have a significant impact on Oxfam’s public image.
- Provide professional support and advice to managers in responsibility areas
- Represents Oxfam to external contacts and will need to deal with influential senior contacts (media editors, senior journalists)
- Expert knowledge of regional media environment and communication tools with the capacity to produce independently quality media and communication materials (press releases, video, photos, audio) that can be used by a variety of media nationally, regionally and globally.
- To manage and drive implementation of a comprehensive Yemen Programme media strategy (including digital media) for use nationally, regionally, globally; maximising the impact of programmes and advocacy and optimising the use of digital media.
- To generate and oversee regular high quality media coverage (national to global) of Oxfam’s programme and advocacy work. This involves working closely with media colleagues across the Oxfam confederation.
- To develop press releases, reactive lines, questions and answers and to organise press conferences, media briefing, visits of journalists to programme locations, and digital contents (stories, photos, blogs, videos).
- Be aware and promote the importance of brand protection, and ensure that all media products are aligned with the Oxfam’s approach to programme and to advocacy and conform to Oxfam GB and Oxfam International agreed policy and procedures (including sign off procedures).
- To monitor and to evaluate media coverage generated and to draw lessons to improve coverage.
- To build and maintain excellent relationships with key media players, journalists and broadcasters across the region.
- To develop and maintain a database of regional media correspondents based in Yemen.
- To work with programme staff to ensure a direct link between programme work and media coverage.
- To train, coach and support Oxfam’s staff and its partners in-country in order to build their media and communication skills and capabilities.
- To stay up to date with the latest thinking on how to improve effectiveness of media and communication approaches and impact, including the development and effective utilisation of digital media opportunities.
- To develop and maintain a library of communication resource materials and products that can be used on regular basis to communicate on Oxfam’s work in Yemen Programme and that can be used by Oxfam’s corporate communication.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCE:
- Adequate Degree in Media and Communication or equivalent
- Minimum of 3 years experience working in Media, either as a journalist or as a media officer in a development, campaigns or humanitarian organisation
- Experience in producing media materials (writing stories, production of video and audio reports) and strong capacity to deliver these within short deadlines
- Strong writing skills, preferably with a history of writing for media and well- developed capacity to produce quality communication materials within tight deadlines
- Strong organisational and personal management skills, with ability to prioritise work issues to meet deadlines with minimal supervision and adjust to changing situations while maintaining focus on delivery and follow-through.
- People management skills.
- Strong skills in using social media (websites/Twitter/blogs etc)
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to develop and maintain relationships
- Good analytical and conceptual thinking skills with good strategic perspective, able to understand complex issues and information from different sources and present this clearly and simply
- Ability to work creatively, effectively and in an innovative manner and to identify and develop new ways to use the media to Oxfam’s advantage
- Ability and willingness to travel extensively for humanitarian emergencies and into conflict zones
- Excellent communication skills, in written and verbal English and Arabic.
- Filming and editing skills for short audio and video packages
Please Interested candidates are kindly requested to visit our website below for More details about post and apply through Post application: