Consultant/ Consultancy Firm
Consultant/ Consultancy Firm
Mobile Banking Research
Globally, more than 2.5 billion adults do not have a formal bank account, and most of them live in developing economies. Yemen is no exception, where just less than 6% of the population has access to financial services. Such a low level of financial inclusion represents a barrier to the socio-economic development of a country. Mobile banking services (MB) can thus become a game changer for people with limited income, and an enabler for financial inclusion in the country. In late 2006 the Central Bank of Yemen (CBY) issued a circular which officially kicked off the launch of mobile money services in Yemen.
YMN, with support from the Social Fund for Development, will work on providing an assessment of the current situation of Mobile Banking services in Yemen on a national level and the different levels of service being offered through financial institutions, and provide an outlook on potentials across Yemen.
Mobile banking in Yemen is a service provided by some banks and other financial institutions that allows its customers to conduct financial transactions remotely using a mobile device.
One of the main reasons to launching of the service in Yemen on since December 2016 was to reduce the impact of the cash liquidity problems amid the ongoing war in the country since 2015
2.THE Consultation ASSIGNMENT
Analyze the mobile Banking value chain in Yemen to better understand the characteristics of this service in the country, and profile the financial institutions offering the service and the various products with special reference to the types of beneficiaries/users i.e. individuals and or institutions including private sector and humanitarian organizations, etc.
Scope: Collect, review and analyze data on the mobile banking value chain in several governorates of Yemen including urban and rural parts of the country.
More specifically, the consultant will carry out the following tasks:
- Develop a market map of actors within the mobile banking value chain, locating their position within the system, and provide a description of each one of them.
- Describe the environment that influences the value chain, including laws, rules, institutions, and cultural, political and economic trends.
- Identify and describe the infrastructure and services, including financial services that serve the customers within the value chain.
- Identify and map the gaps in the value chain, estimating the capacity needed to fill these gaps.
- Identify and describe the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats in the value chain.
- Analyze the demand, access, usage, and supply of the mobile banking products being offered, and describe their main providers.
- Identify the extent to which the financial institutions providing MB services currently meet quality standards compared to other successful existing models and services in some other countries.
- Identify the constraints which prevent the financial institutions’ ability to meet the anticipated potential of mobile banking services.
- Conduct group and or individual interviews with clients of MB services, existing and potential players, and other mobile banking stakeholders within Yemen.
- Conduct market mapping, and secondary research on mobile banking and cash transfers including for humanitarian and relief purposes. The consultant is also expected to. To perform the work, the consultant will avail himself/herself of primary data from the field (such as questionnaires, group discussions, individual or group meetings, consult extensively with banking and technology development experts, etc.). In addition, secondary sources will also be necessary to conduct this consultancy, including but not exclusively, previous studies on mobile banking in Yemen and elsewhere, , sources from the Internet, academic researches, etc.
- MB A mix model methodology (Qualitative & Quantitative) will be adopted for conducting the survey. Therefore, appropriate tools will be developed, tested and interviews carried out in 7 governorates (Sana’a, Aden, Hodeida, Ibb, Taiz, Hadramot(Sayun& Mukala) in a representative number of districts (the number might be modified according to the needs of the survey and the needs of the relevant stakeholder engaged in this survey).
- MB will be integrated in the program Baseline survey that will be conducted in all area selected. consultant will lead data collection in all selected areas.
- The identified research consultant will develop relevant data collection tools and identify the appropriate means for collecting the data which will be discussed and agreed with YMN and prior to the data collection exercise. The data will be analyzed using appropriate data analysis packages such as SPSS or other conventional means. The data should be presented in a logical, meaningful, reader friendly and simple language on a date agreed with YMN.
The consultant will submit a comprehensive assessment study report in both electronic version and signed hard copy. The document should be very precise and address each specific objective the consultant is expected to deliver the following documents, in addition to providing regular briefings to YMN:
- Details implementation plan approved by YMN
- Data collection tools and Draft survey report approved by YMN.
- A draft report includes all the findings, including data collected, analysis of the data, findings from interviews, discussions, and other meetings, conclusions, and practical recommendations for potential market and technical level interventions throughout the MB value chain.
- After an initial evaluation by YMN, compile all the contents into a comprehensive and publishable English and Arabic reports. While the English version of the report must be in a clear and concise English with attention to relevant technical terms to the industry.
- The report will be evidence-based, complete with referencing and supporting documents, reports, and other related materials attached.
6- The Yemen Microfinance Network will be the legal owner and copyright holder of the report, holding the right publish it in whole or in part, whilst acknowledging the role and contribution of the consultant.
- The draft and final report will have the following structure:
- Executive Summary - Introduction
- Methodology, including sampling.
- Analysis and findings of the study in regard to the project outcomes.
- Conclusions and recommendations.
- Relevant maps and photographs of the study areas.
- Bibliography of consulted secondary sources.
- Finalized data collection tools (in English and Arabic).
- List of key informants.
- Raw data in an agreed format.
5. PLACE AND DATES FOR THE CONSULTING ASSIGNMENT:
- The assignment shall take place locally in Yemen, covering the main cities of Sana’a, Aden, Hodeida, Ibb, Taiz, as well as the cities of Seyun and Mukalla in Hadramut.
- The assignment will last over a maximum period of (45 days),
- The draft report shall be submitted no later than approximately 30 days after singing the agreement), while the final version shall be submitted no later than approximately 35 days from day of signing the contract.
- The assignment shall be considered accomplished when the report is approved by YMN according to the aforementioned objectives and expectations.
6.COORDINATION AND SUPERVISION:
This consultancy shall be coordinated and supervised by YMN’s staff. Whenever possible, and within the limits of its capacities, YMN shall try to arrange for the meetings necessary to carry out this consultancy, provision of relevant materials, data, and other useful sources to facilitate this undertaking.
7.1.Primary areas of expertise:
- Proven knowledge and expertise in the technical aspects of mobile money, banking sector, and financial services and technology;
- Proven experience and track record of at least 5 years’ in conducting quantitative and qualitative economic and market research, field surveys, financial products development, mobile services and or financial service delivery processes in Yemen and/or MENA region.
- Experience in developing the tools for baseline studies A post-graduate degree in economics, economic development, Finance, Social Sciences or a related field; a doctorate degree will be an added advantage.
- Ability to interpret results and provide practical recommendations.
- Previous work experience with national and international organizations or donors.
- Excellent communication, both written and verbal, in English, is a requirement
- Familiarity with mobile banking and or financial services environments and development industry.
- Willingness to travel to different locations as required.
- Ability to lead / manage field teams remotely and in different locations.
- Good understanding of the banking and financial sector in Yemen or the MENA region. Professional fluency (both written and oral) in Arabic and English.
- Development Strong communicative skills and cultural sensitivity.
- Advanced in both Arabic and English both written and oral.
- Full comprehension of relevant regulation and policies.
7.3.Qualifications and education
- Advanced university degree in Business, Economics, Market Research, Banking and Finance or other relevant areas.
- Relevant educational qualification.
- Practical Experience in managing projects in financial or telecommunication sector.
- Proven Experience in research, data analysis and reporting.
8.Payment Rate & modality
The consultant will be paid in $USD currency, for period of (45) in consultancy fees
20% upon receipt of the methodology and tools accepted by YMN and an invoice for payment. 30% upon receipt of the draft report accepted by YMN and an invoice for payment.
50% upon receipt of the final presentation and final report accepted by YMN and an invoice for payment.
·Fees will be negotiated with the shortlisted consultant/consulting firm.
- The consultant covers the travel and accommodation cost associated with the implementation.
Eligible applicants may send copies of their CVs, testimonials and detailed copies of the below:
- Technical proposal including the proposed methodology and detailed implementation plan;
- A detailed outline of the proposed team of consultants detailing their relevant expertise to this assignment;
- Detailed Financial Proposal with break-down of suggested costs.
All applicants must hand in a hard copy of the above in a sealed envelope a sealed envelope to YMN’s office in Building No. 3, 4th Floor, Commercial Complex, Haddah Street, Sana’a, Opposite Hyper Tawfeer Supermarket.
The deadline to hand in the proposals to YMN’s office is on 26/04/2018 at 14:30. Any proposals received after that shall not be accepted.
For any questions or additional information, you may contact YMN on Tel: +967 -1- 265870.