Education Assistant (2)
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
The purpose of an Education assistant is to set-up, support and manage the various education projects (EIE, YEP, ABE) under guidance of the Education officer.
In coordination with education directorate the education assistant will work on improvement of school physical structure and environment, improvement of teaching and learning performances through monitoring of teaching and learning processes in addition to Education activities with Youth (YEP) and activities related capacity building of local authorities on Education in Emergency EIE.
In coordination with Education Officer and Education Specialist, the Education Assistant will support in project planning, coordinating, budgeting of daily activities and reporting on implementation of education activities.
- Ensure adherence with NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines. Implement delegated support function portfolio according to plan of action. Prepare and develop status reports as required by management. Ensure proper filing of documents. Promote and share ideas for improvement of the support function.
- Work closely with the Education PO, EC and CC Advisors in the development and implementation of a clear and effective project monitoring and evaluation plan against qualitative and quantitative indicators ensuring that accountability and learning.
- Prepare monthly projects activities progress report and report activities progress to the Education PO.
- Work with the Community Education Committees (CECs) in the identification and
- enrollment of pupil to the appropriate education programs; and their effective learning in
- accordance with NRC standards and criteria.
- Prepare requisitions for distribute and monitor the use of school learning materials
- Regularly monitor and report on the Project activities in the field
- Cost, requisition and administer teachers', field based persons and activity participants'
- payments and entitlements
- Conduct assessment on new school to start up, expand or end ABE or YEP programme.
- Monitor and report on any protection related concerns that are identified through regular
- school visits and assessments.
- Make school visits to assess, monitor and give support to teachers supported by NRC
- Assist in creating awareness in the community on the importance of education especially
- for girls, IDPs, refugees and other vulnerable pupils.
- Assist in translating various learning materials from English to Arabic language for local
- Assist the teacher in developing learning material including teaching aids using locally
- available materials.
- Participate in trainings, workshops, meetings and seminars related to education and
- protection activities
- Generate consolidated and costed activity plans and reports weekly, monthly & quarterly (narrative Reports).
- University degree in Education, or diploma with 2 years of related field experience on project implementation management.
- At least 1-2 years’ working experience in education project with INGO or UN agencies.
- A proven record of knowledge of design, and implementation education programme.
- Familiar with Southern Yemen situation and geography.
- Able to work in high in a secure environment.
- Team Player, flexible, hardworking and able to cope with short deadlines.
- Good documentation and report writing skills.
- College / University, Bachelor's degree
- The ability to take the initiative and work independently, innovatively and effectively with limited direct supervision.
- Ability to work within a team – supporting other departments is essential
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills with the ability to remain calm whilst dealing with conflicting priorities/work under pressure
- Good networking, negotiation and representation skills with the ability to influence and advocate
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal English and Arabic skills) and the ability to write clear, concise reports.
- Ability to work with others to develop vision into strategy and communicating and influencing this to a wider audience.
- Commitment to NRCs overall aims, policies and values with experience of promoting gender equity, diversity and the interests of marginalised people in all aspects of NRC’s work
- Ability to travel in Northern Governorates, working flexibly and willingness to learn
- Contract duration until end of Dec 2018 (renewable according to the availability of funds)
- Travel: More than 150 days travel
Please Interested candidates are kindly requested to visit our website below for More details about post and apply through Post application:
Education Assistant _Abyan:
Education Assistant _Lahj: