Senior Finance Officer
Oxfam, an international NGO working with others to find lasting solutions to poverty and suffering, has been working in Yemen since 1983. Oxfam announces the following vacancy for its programme
Senior Finance Officer -– (1 position)
Contract Duration: 5 Months
To contribute to the provision of management and operational services (including maintaining an accurate financial records and reports) within Yemen programme as per Oxfam’s procedures and systems, to enable the delivery of key support activities and help other staff within the area to perform effectively.
- Support programme staff in preparation, monitoring and management of programme budgets (annual budgeting, project budgeting, donor budgeting) and associate phasing of budgets
- Coordinate the completion of timely and accurate budget monitoring, donor, monthly, quarterly, mid-term and year-end financial reports
- Supervise preparation of accurate and timely monthly accounts (including all monthly registers), via Oxfam’s People soft system and regular submission of mandatory supporting documentation to the RC
- Adherence to financial procedures
- Ensure clear internal audit trails and supervise the preparation/maintenance of accounts for external audits for Oxfam and/or partners
- Oversee all purchases and payments approved by CD (including payments to partners) and made on behalf of Oxfam Yemen programme and ensure they are processed in timely manner, according to Oxfam’s policies and procedures, local law and donors regulations
- Overall monitoring of the local laws and regulations with impact and relevance for NGOs
- Ensure the timely preparation of top up requests to the RC as per agreed deadlines,
- Oversee communication and management of the relation with the bank and other external stakeholders (tax authorities, local authorities, external auditors)
- Proactive support and advice to programme staff and partners in relation to finance issues/activities
- Advise on, train and enforce compliance to mandatory procedures and Oxfam’s systems (People Soft and CRIMSON),
- Review and advice on partnership agreements and partners’ financial reports
- With support from the FO ensure consolidation of reports from partners and preparation of timely high quality donor reports
- To ensure that partner’s financial procedures are monitored and their internal financial systems are credible. Provide advice and capacity building as appropriate
Skills and Competencies Required for this Role
- University degree in a finance related subject or professional accountancy qualifications.
- Significant experience in financial management in a similar sized organisation.
- Experience of managing a team of staff
- Ability and experience of using financial software package and use of other IT software in particular Microsoft applications.
- Excellent communication skills – verbal and written in Arabic and English including reporting, explaining difficult financial concepts
- Ability to communicate and engage with different internal and external stakeholders e.g.tax office, partners, staff, donors and RC in Oxford
- Team player
- Ability to train and coach others
- Attention to details, ability to work under pressure and with minimal supervision and be able to meet deadlines and to think and plan ahead.
- Able to manage time effectively and deliver results
- High level of initiative and procativeness
- Influences ways of working and recommends and implements improvements
- Interest in the work of Oxfam and the programme
- Willingness and ability to travel within the country and region.
- Understanding of gender and diversity issues and commitment to promoting gender and diversity equity
If you believe that you have the qualifications and skills to excel in this position, please send a copy of your CV and a cover letter, clearly stating the job you are applying for and the location of the job in the email subject, to email@example.com