Ended Nutrition Officer
Position: Nutrition Officer
Report to: Nutrition Manager
Manages: Nutrition Assistants, IYCF Counselor, Food Monitor and Midwives
Duty station: Sana’a
The Nutrition Officer is responsible for the day to day management and smooth running of the Integrated Community-based Management of Acute malnutrition programming in Sana’a in line with the MoPHP national CMAM protocol, IRC protocols and the project proposals.
The Nutrition Officer is responsible to Oversee implementation of project activities in nutrition, as part of the wider integrated approach which aims to lower under-5 mortality rates in the IRC program operation areas through community-based identification, treatment and prevention of both Moderate and Severe Acute Malnutrition (MAM/SAM), and promotion of Infant and Young Child Feeding (IYCF) Practices. She/he will be involved in training, supervising and assisting nutrition field staff to ensure the best possible health care and nutrition services are delivered to children U5. She/he will work in constant collaboration with the IRC Nutrition Manager, IRC Health Program Manager, District and Governorate Ministry of health staff, the DHO and nutrition Coordinator, other local authorities and community members in order to share nutrition issues so as to improve/promote the nutrition of the vulnerable groups from the targeted communities.
Technical Support & Management:
- Training of nutrition staff and CHWs on the implementation of treatment of Acute Malnutrition
- Ensuring adherence to the current MAM/SAM protocols in the supported facilities
- Plan and coordinate community mobilization and health and nutrition education activities
- Ensure quality supervision of diagnostic and treatment services and community level implementation of the nutrition program
- Direct technical supervision of supported MoPHP staff and IRC nutrition assistant,
- Ensuring technical management of CHWs in collaboration with the Community Health Teams
- Line management of Nutrition Assistant including evaluations and appraisals
- Organize monthly meetings with the team and report the outcome to the head of the program
- Ensure that an updated register of the staff (absences, leave, ….) is maintained
Coordination & Representation:
- Organize and implement the Nutrition Program and ensure that the program complies with Ministry of Health guidelines.
- In collaboration with the Nutrition Program Manager, ensure that the local authorities and particularly the DHO is involved in the planning, implementation and monitoring of quality Nutrition program
- Liaise with key partners including District Health Departments, local leaders, NGO partners, and other stakeholders (as necessary) to ensure good links between nutrition program and other sectors
- Ensure integration of Nutrition PHC activities, particularly as regards Nutrition Education, EPI and other Child Health and nutrition services (SFPs and TFCs).
- Ensure good links between the nutrition, Health and EH program
- Hold regular planning and coordination meetings with all the nutrition field staff and CHWs
Administrative and Other Duties:
- Provide monthly written reports on activities to the Program Manager
- Participate in the follow-up of supplies consumption and orders
- Overall planning of stock levels, making sure that they are sufficient for the functioning of the supported facilities (weekly, monthly or quarterly)
- Make monthly physical inventory of all nutrition supplies
- Set performance objectives for Nutrition Assistans and IYCF councellors.
- Carry out 6 monthly performance evaluation and advice the individual staff member on ways to improve work performance.
- Orient new staff and visitors on the IRC nutrition programming
- Under the direction of the Nutrition Program Manager, take up responsibilities such as overall program management; work planning; attendance at Regional/Governorate level meetings and workshops.
Systems Compliance and Improvement:
- IRC-Yemen Country specific finance, logistics, IT, security, communications and human resource/administration policies and procedures.
- Any new procedures and guidelines designated by the Yemen mission
Policy compliance – Mandatory Reporting Policy (MRP):
- Ensure any violations of the IRC Sexual Abuse and Exploitation Code of Conduct are reported to the Country Director. The reporting of violations is an obligation on the part of all staff members.
- Assist where necessary in undertaking activities that aim to prevent the occurrence of sexual abuse and exploitation of beneficiaries by IRC and other humanitarian workers
- Play a key role in planning and rolling out training of and adherence to M&E in coordination with the M&E focal team/person in Aden/Sana’a.
- Ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of IRC acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organization without authority, except in the normal execution of duty.
Note: The role Nutrition Officer cannot be limited to the specific duties and tasks detailed herein. The success of the IRC’s humanitarian mission is the highest priority and all issues which arise must be addressed accordingly. Therefore, the Nutrition Officer will be required to manage all unforeseen issues
- Should be a qualified Clinical Officer, Medical Doctor or Nutritionist with diploma in preventive and curative medicine or a Certificate of Public Health or Registered/ Certified Nurse.
- At least 2 years’ experience working in CMAM program with an International Organization
- At least one year experience work with the MoPHP providing integrated Community Case Management
- Should be able to work with minimal supervision
- Should be able to plan his/her work daily
- Should be able to write a report in English
- Should be computer literate (Microsoft word and excel).
- Ability to work in a remote area
- Should be a team player
- Should have good communication skills
- Computer knowledge is essential
- Familiar with ENA and EPI info
- Experience in conducting KAP and SMART survey
- Fluency in Arabic.
- Working knowledge of English strongly desired (A must).
- Should be flexible and circumstances and remain flexible to perform other duties, as and when required
Interested candidates should send their application letters and resumes in English to Sanaa.firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 11th January 2016 indicating the position they are applying for along with the location in the email subject.
Female candidates are encouraged to apply
Only candidates who meet the expected requirements for the position will be contacted.