Ended Project Control Associate
Title of Position: Project Control Associate
Position Number: UNOPS Position
Category / Level: LICA-6/Sub-1
Salary: USD 1,973 per Month (Other Allowances)
Entry on Duty: 01 March 2017
Duration: Initially for a period of six months (with possibility of extension)
Date of Issue: 10 January 2017
Closing Date for Applications: 23 January 2017
UNHCR in collaboration with other UN Agencies, Yemeni Authorities, and International and National NGOs are implementing an integrated protection and assistance program for refugees and asylum seekers of other nationalities in Yemen as well as assistance to internally displaced persons (IDPs) in Yemen. Protection and assistance to refugees have targeted camp based as well as refugees in urban areas whereas IDP assistance targets local populations displaced as a result of the internal conflicts in Yemen.
The primary functions of project control are to complement programme management and provide support for oversight of projects including the formulation of a monitoring plan, quality assurance, and verification. Other activities of project control include: review of project agreements, project audit, monitoring that there is synchrony between financial and operational performance, participation in multi-functional monitoring activities and reviews, tracking project risk management, and supporting project closure.
In ensuring adequate segregation of duties between project control and programme functions for effective accountability and oversight the Project Control Associate will report directly to the Project Control Officer. The Project Control Associate will receive general guidance and work plans from the Project Control Officer and work in collaboration with other project control staff to ensure attainment of the unit’s goals. The incumbent will also be working in a Multi-Functional Team environment and collaborate with the MFT to undertake effective project monitoring and other MFT activities.
The Project Control Associate will play a very important role in maintaining harmonious and effective partnerships, and very often interact with partners (International/National NGOs). As a result, the incumbent needs to be very mindful of all dimensions of partnerships in their interaction with partners (in accordance with the Principles of Partnership, the Code of Conduct and other relevant documents).
Under the direct supervision of the Project Control Officer, the incumnbent will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Contribute to reviewing the internal control systems of implementing partners.
- Contribute to reviewing that IP agreements are in conformity with Country Operation
Plans and UNHCR’s rules, policies and procedures.
- Monitor that a complete record is maintained for all projects.
- Contribute to reviewing, analysing and verifying Financial and Performance
Implementing Partner Reports (Part I-IPFR and Part II-IPR), and to checking accuracy and consistency between IPFR and IPR, in accordance with project agreements.
- Perform financial monitoring of the accounts of the implementing agencies based on the financial reports submitted to the Representation and ensure that all financial expenditure are in accordance with the Project Partnership Agreement (PPA).
- Conduct performance monitoring together with the MFT by making field visits in order to ensure achievement of partners in relation to financial reporting.
- Ensure that the funds obligated under an IP agreement permit the payment of the next
instalment or a disbursement, confirming the status of instalments already paid.
- Support timely project closure in coordination with the programme unit.
- Bring to the attention of supervisors and programme officers to any significant variances at the office level in: budget execution, percentage of project execution, time schedule, and quality of projects against specifications or terms and conditions.
- Maintain professional relationships with implementing partners.
- Keep up-to-date with all UNHCR rules, regulations and procedures necessary to perform these duties.
- Perform other duties as required.
Monitoring and Progress Control:
The Project Control Associate will be accountable for the following outputs/results and milestones:
- Quality assurance of project agreements is provided in accordance with applicable UNHCR rules and regulations.
- Resources transferred to implementing partners are utilized for the intended purposes and in accordance with project agreements.
- Performance delivery and financial expenditure reported by implementing partners are accurate and consistent.
- Supervisors are promptly informed of risks and major variances in the execution of projects (budgets, finance, implementation or timeframe).
In order to deliver and be accountable on the above outputs/results, the incumbent will have the following authorities
- Escalate IP issues to supervisors.
- Recommend acceptance or non-acceptance of IPRs and payment of instalments.
- Contact implementing partners for project related matters.
- Have unlimited access to financial and operational records relating to projects.
Essential minimum qualifications, professional experience and required competencies:
- Secondary education, together with training/certificate in Accounting, Auditing, Business Administration, Finance, Project Management or related field.
- Excellent computer skills, in particular in MS Office applications.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language or local language.
Minimum six years of previous job experience in the field of accounting/finance, auditing, project management, business analysis, quality assurance and/or risk management
Desirable qualifications and competencies:
- Good knowledge of United Nations financial rules and procedures.
- Good understanding of accrual accounting (such as IPSAS or IFRS).
- Working experience with ERP financial modules (such as PeopleSoft, Oracle or SAP).
- Judgement and Decision Making.
- Managing Resources
- Planning and Organisations
- Political Awareness
Interested candidates must fill a Personal History (P.11) form and the supplementary Bio Data table (Excel) (Can be downloaded from below). Completed P11 form and summary table should be submitted along with a motivation letter and CV by e-mail to the below email address.
The email subject line should clearly indicate Last Name, Title of the position and VA Ref. number stated on this announcement. Applications missing any of the above elements, and not duly completed, will unfortunately not be considered.
Senior Admin/Finance Officer
Address: UNHCR BO Sana’a, P.O. Box 12093
Tel. contact: +967-1-469771/2
Fax: +967-1-469 770
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified. Shortlisted candidates will be requested to sit for a test. No late applications will be accepted. UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, training or any other fees).