GIS and Database Officer
Food and Agriculture organization of the United Nations
Terms of Reference
Geographical Information Systems (GIS) and Database Officer
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the general supervision of the FAO representative and the Chief Technical Advisor (CTA) of “Enhancement of Food Security and Resilient Livelihoods Programme (EFRLP”) and the direct supervision of the National Food Security Coordinator the GIS & Database Officer in close coordination and collaboration with other members of the EFRLP team will establish and maintain the FSN information database and geo-referenced maps. He/she will have the following specific responsibilities:
- Lead the collection and archiving of food security and nutrition data and information in the State, in collaboration with the other SFSTS staff;
- Identify major stakeholders involved in FSN data collection, analysis and dissemination activities in the State;
- Assess and compile FSN related datasets available in various government and non-governmental institutions throughout the State;
- With technical support from the EFRLP Specialists design appropriate data and information storage and access mechanisms and establish proper multi sectoral GIS and Remote sensing data storage and handling procedures;
- Coordinate and manage the establishment of an appropriate GIS database system for the EFRLP program;
- Create maps and graphs, using GIS software and related equipment.
- Provide support to the EFRLP team to produce digital thematic maps on food security and nutrition using appropriate GIS and mapping software for both national and Governorate levels;
- Support the EFRLP team with the production of graphical information needed for reporting and presentations;
- Support the EFRLP technical team and Governorate focal units in the proper storage, retrieval and transmission of data;
- Train the technical staff of the EFRLP program, including staff of the FSTS on basic GIS skills and database systems, such as storage, access and utilization of data;
- Work to integrate the EFRLP database and mapping data with those of existing FS information mapping units, to support the utilization of digitized FS and nutrition-related maps and data;
- Maintain Yemen EFRLP digital map library ensuring maps and related data sets are updated frequently and contain appropriate metadata.
- Gather, analyze, and integrate spatial data from EFRLP staff and determine how best the information can be displayed using GIS.
- Compile geographic data from a variety of sources including censuses, field observation, satellite imagery, aerial photographs, and existing maps. Analyze spatial data for geographic statistics to incorporate into documents and reports
- Operate and maintain GIS system hardware, software, plotter, digitizer, colour printer, and video camera
- Liaise with government and other UN agencies and partners to ensure maps produced by the EFRLP program are consistent with national standards, wherever they exist;
- Obtain satellite generated/remotely sensed agro climatic and hydrological data and maps from various sources (UN, FEWS NET, government, etc) are properly interpreted and made available to support food security and nutrition analysis;
- Produce seasonal IPC maps and assist the technical team with graphical and other data to enable the preparation of bulletins and policy briefs, and other regular and ad-hoc reports;
- Assist in the integration of EFRLP data base and mapping systems with other FS information and mapping units of the government, FSAC cluster, Nutrition and livelihoods cluster, FEWS net and UNOCHA humanitarian mapping
- Undertake any other related tasks assigned by the Supervisor.
- University Degree in data base management , GIS and related field
- 5 years hands-on work experience in data base management, GIS, and remote sensing applications;
- Experience in developing a database an producing thematic maps using GIS software and using satellite generated data and their interpretation;
- Experience and excellent knowledge of databases applications, spreadsheets, GIS software (such as ArcGIS) and/or similar systems;
- Experience in developing database systems or working with databases and data analysis;
- Working knowledge of English
- Ability in developing data, data models and database standards;
- Expert knowledge of GIS software with ESRI and related applications;
- Expert knowledge of Remote Sensing software with IDRISI, ESRI or related applications;
- Demonstrated ability to liaise with UN agencies, NGOs and government ministries;
- Ability to be a team player in a diverse and high pressure environment;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently within a team;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- All applications should be sent to email@example.com and the job title needs to be mentioned in the email subject.
- This is a Project-based post.
- There will be a 6 months probationary period for the selected candidate.