Ended Water/Irrigation Engineer
Food and Agriculture organization of the United Nations
Terms of Reference
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the general supervision of the FAO representative and the Chief Technical Advisor (CTA) - Enhancement of Food Security and Resilient Livelihoods Programme (EFRLP), the Water and Irrigation Engineer will work under the direct supervision of the Agriculture Officer and Program Coordinator. S/he will work very closely with the other EFRLP program team members to ensure all water related responsibilities of the program are well addressed. The Water/Irrigation Engineer will perform the following specific activities:
- Facilitate community based water infrastructure improvement and rehabilitation
- Support in the establishment or reactivation of Water User Associations (WUAs) and establishment of governorate water management committees with sustainable income resource generation
- Provision of Women Training Program on communication, community development, marketing, food processing, legal issues, and agricultural practices
- Training the community on renewable solar energy for irrigation and drinking
- Analyze and advise on the planning, design, construction and maintenance of waste water systems, including collection, treatment and discharge.
- To consolidate the experiences of the Water Users Associations in the EFRLP program
- Design and conduct training on water use and agronomic practices to the community-based organizations and carry out the diffusion of small-scale irrigation techniques through local NGOs, VDCs and women’s organizations for the development of irrigation schemes;
- To compare the sustainability of WUAs built on the premises of Participatory Irrigation Management using varied strategies for example motivation through NGOs, through Community Organisers, working under the government departments etc.
- Develop a systematic database to store and process information on water resources and water supply of the target villages;
- To identify the gender sensitivity in the water user association structure and functioning
- Evaluate, review and revise project documents related to water and environment, and analyze design specifications included in project proposals for accuracy, soundness, feasibility and cost.
- Recommend solutions to water, environmental and other natural resources problems as they arise.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in civil engineering, environmental engineering, water resources engineering or related fields. Specialization in water, environmental and sanitation engineering is desirable. A first level university degree in combination additional five years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- The candidate should hold an advanced degree in fields related to water resources management, and water supply schemes, notably as they relate to agricultural use.
- At least five years of experience in value chain, livestock marketing, and Famers Field School Practices;
- Ability to work within a team of professional staff from diverse technical and cultural backgrounds.
- Demonstrated ability to serve as a technically responsible specialist in the field of water, environmental and natural resources management
- High degree of personal initiative and willingness to accept wide responsibilities;
- Ability to provide technical and procedural advice in a broad range of environmental areas; ability to develop, maintain and supervise accountability systems for materials and services;
- Ability to deploy to remote locations on short notice; thorough knowledge of water, environmental and sanitation systems.
- Ability to plan, organize, implement and report;
- Excellent communication, writing and presentation skills in English.
- Demonstrated ability to liaise with multiple agencies that include UN agencies, NGOs, and governmental agencies
- All applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and the JOB TITLE & LOCATION need to be mentioned in the email subject field.
- This is a Project-based post.
- There will be a 6 months probationary period for the selected candidate.