Ended Research and Compliance Assistant (2)
Division : MEAL.
Location : Sana’a.
Reports to : Research & Compliance Officer
Duration : One year, renewable.
Organization & Background:
YFCA is a leading, Humanitarian, non-Governmental, non-Profit, non-denominational and impartial Organization established in 1976 to improve woman and child health. Dramatic changes in YFCA mandate were introduced gradually to accommodate the emerging needs of women, children, youth and vulnerable groups. From that Health perspective, YFCA programs incorporate wider thematic interventions including WASH, Shelter, and Nutrition, Food Security, Agriculture and Livelihood, Education, Early Recovery and Protection. To pursue its unchanging humanitarian mission, YFCA will thoughtfully continue its expansion process to respond to the ever changing needs of affected communities and vulnerable groups.
The post holder will be responsible for supporting the development and maintaining research relationships with emergency response clusters, donors, UN agencies, partners, academics and researchers, leading and coordinating, facilitating the conduction of the researches, surveys and assessments and developing and maintaining relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
Description of Duties and Tasks:
- Design surveys, studies and researches, including the design of data collection tools and methodological approaches (questionnaires, etc.);
- Conducts research, analyses, interprets data, and formats related reports.
- Organize and facilitate trainings for enumerators before deployment to the field for data collection
- Supervise and facilitate data collection process and ensure timely and effective collection of data;
- Compile, entry, clean, prepare, analyse, and visualize data while carefully documenting all programs, datasets, and methodologies
- Provides data analysis support for institutional reporting, rapid response to emergency needs, planning for humanitarian responses, resource development, and related requests for information.
- Carry out performance of the technical tasks and providing technical support with particular emphasis on collection, interpretation, reporting, aggregation, and evaluation of data; writes and maintains custom programs to support internal and extern developing assessment strategy by identifying information gaps and response.
- Provide feedback on research implements to reflect local sensitivities and cultural norms. Modify language, type, and order of questions as is appropriate to context and assignment.
- Liaise with stakeholders to build a network of key informants within certain governorates or/and nationwide to facilitate the compilation of an accurate humanitarian picture in Yemen.
- Work closely with NGOs and other humanitarian actors to promote information sharing and joint analysis.
- Oversees the development and updating of informational materials such as fact sheets, articles, and audio visual materials to promote the work of research and assessment externally and within the organization.
- Representation of the organization management in working groups in country and follow up on technical issues identified in cluster meetings in other parts of the country
- Initiate and maintain consultation and discussions with communities, targeted audiences and stakeholders to assess needs and update situation in the targeted areas/districts.
- Provide orientation and technical support to programs' staff and consultants in terms of the preparation of new proposals, development of program strategies, implementation of project activities, and any other required input to organization projects and for added-value.
- Produce and design printing maps per target area for various humanitarian actors.
- Contribute to the conduction of assessment initiatives recommended by clusters and working groups and work closely with assessment experts from other organisations to maximise the efficient use of resources and coordination.
- Provide analytical research products about Yemen, with a particular initial focus on base area, that are clear, concise and professionally and methodologically rigorous in their production.
- Provide technical assessment advice to programs and field staff to assistance improving designing and planning of humanitarian interventions for the population affected by the conflict.
- Remain updated on events in Yemen and effectively utilise Arabic primary and secondary source material in analytical reports produced.
- Maintains relevant databases and/or Internet presence as required.
- Engage in rigorous professional conduct, creative enquiry and the highest standards of research and analysis design, ethics, conduct and report writing.
- Work with the MEAL Team to develop the project’s Monitoring and Evaluation Log frame and tools
- Contribute to YFCA project updates, briefs, reports and other related documents;
- Travel within Yemen upon request of the organization director.
- Review all the reports submitted by the MEAL department to ensure the compliance of all report in regards to the content, components and the language.
- Actively contribute in assessment working group and the community engagement working group and integrating the AWG and CEWG tools in all the MEAL activities.
Academic and Professional Qualifications
- Relevant university degree or higher education in a field appropriate to the post., preferably in humanitarian action, management, social sciences, international relations or international development.
- Minimum of 3 years' experience, preferably in a humanitarian setting.
- Strong communications skills, both written and oral, and strong inter-personal skills
- An understanding of current humanitarian assessment practice
- Knowledge of qualitative and quantitative research methods
- Proven ability to work as part of a team under pressure
- Proven ability to deliver against targets and meeting deadlines within a short time frame
- Proven skills in assessment methodology design and questionnaire design
- Knowledge and familiarity with the workings of the Needs Assessment tools and guidance.
- Experience in primary and secondary data collection techniques.
- Previous experience working for humanitarian organisations in Yemen or the region.
Knowledge, Skills & Personal Attributes
- Excellent computer skills (Windows, Excel spreadsheets, word-processing).
- Fluent written and spoken English
- Fluent written and spoken Arabic
- Knowledge of database software such as Microsoft Access Strong knowledge of mapping and design software.
- Strong analytical skills
- Flexible and creative
- Structured and focused, proven ability to manage time effectively
- Ability to understand and adapt to complex and dynamic situations.
- Ability to work under pressure and to manage time effectively
- Ability to work under minimal supervision
Interested candidates are invited to submit their updated CVs firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday Nov 15th, 2018 at the latest, mentioning the job title in the subject line. Emails without such indication will not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.