Ended Program Manager- WASH in Schools
JOB TITLE: Program Manager- WASH in Schools
LOCATION: Amran (Roving) JOB FAMILY: Programme
SALARY: C1, Competitive
CONTRACT TYPE: 1 year fixed term (with possible extension)
OXFAM PURPOSE: To work with others to overcome poverty and suffering.
TEAM PURPOSE: To deliver a quality humanitarian response to the conflict affected population of Yemen.
JOB PURPOSE: To coordinate and implement Oxfam’s project: Conflict affected boys, girls and adolescents have improved access to education in Hajjah and Amran, Yemen
The Programme Manager will be responsible to coordinate and implement WASH Programme in schools to support over 40,000 conflict-affected children and youth to have access to education in Hajjah and Amran, Yemen. This will be through WASH and protection activities in around 100 schools. Oxfam and partners will support safe water and inclusive sanitary facilities for schools, protection to enhance the learning facilities, environment, and health for girls and boys along with education personnel. The project aims at building and strengthening local actors and structures to enhance the sustainability of the actions and collective outcomes. The Program Manager is overall responsible for the project delivery and achieving all the indicators as agreed with the donor. This is a central role to Oxfam’s emergency response work in Yemen and plays a key role in supporting collaborative humanitarian response across the target locations.
Post holder reports to: Humanitarian Programmes Coordinator (HPC)
Staff reporting to this post: Field based PHEO, PHP, Gender & Protection Officer
Matrix working relationships and accountabilities:
Internal: Oxfam Field Programme Managers (PMs), Technical/Programme Quality Coordinators and support teams.
External: Funding Donor
BUDGET RESPONSIBILITY: Yes, Overall budget holder for the
• Knowledge required includes humanitarian Program management and coordination expertise as well as a broad understanding of Yemen’s humanitarian architecture and different dimensions of Education in Emergencies specifically with regards to specialise knowledge of WASH in Schools and gender and protection dimensions of the programming
• Leadership in program planning, delivery and long term impact.
• Overall contract management of the project
• Builds conducive working relationships with project and support teams, partners, humanitarian agencies and local/national authorities and relevant UN clusters.
• Management and reporting of internal human and financial resources for successful project delivery
• Required to operate to tight deadlines and ability to take timely decisions.
• Leads on objectives within a specific programme and contributes to Oxfam’s overall humanitarian objectives in Yemen.
• High levels of creativity, and innovative problem-solving.
• Analyses, interprets and acts on complex information from varied and diverse sources.
• Applies expert knowledge of external and internal environment.
• Provides the HPC with specialist advice for specific issues concerning the Project.
• Trouble shouting with local authorities with responsible and accountable leadership to ensure smooth delivery of the project
• Support the development and roll out of Project assessment tools together with the PQ Coordinator and field teams critical to kick start the project.
• Ensure Gender and Protection is mainstreamed throughout assessment tools.
• Review and disseminate assessment reports.
• Lead and assist teams in the field to design and develop water and sanitation infrastructure in target schools in collaboration with the Wash Coordinator.
Program Strategy, Coordination and Implementation
• Ensure that the project delivery and impact is in line with the Oxfam’s strategic priorities in Yemen
• Develop and coordinate the project workplans and lead in effective implementation.
• Work in close coordination with Field Programme Managers for the project delivery and trouble shooting
• Work in close coordination with the Programme Quality Managers (Gender, Protection, MEAL, Local Partnership) in ensuring key humanitarian standards and programme quality aspects related to MEAL, Gender, Protection and Local Partnerships are mainstreamed
• Strong ability to remotely manage the team and coordinate the program delivery with maximum risk mitigation measures
• Ensure the safety and security of teams and ensure the program delivery is based on do no harm principles
Representation and External Engagement
• Build and maintain strong professional relationships with important stakeholders (All major humanitarian donors, clusters and relevant national authorities) in Yemen.
• Responsible for mitigating any reputational risk related to project delivery and ways of working with team and others
• Contribute to the production of written pieces related to policy and best practice for Education in Emergencies and WASH in Schools as appropriate and required.
Funding, Budget Management, Proposal Development and Reporting
• Follow up on project implementation progress and regular reporting within Oxfam, pro-actively addressing any implementation concerns.
• Work with programme team and finance staff to ensure that monthly and donor narrative reports are of high quality and consistent with the financial reports.
• Present monthly/donor reports for timely sign off by the HPC to enable timely submission
• A suitable qualification in any discipline relating to Public Health or / Public Health Engineering, Education is necessary.
• Good experience in managing, coordinating and implementing WASH Programmes in Schools and educational system.
• Experience could substitute for a formal qualification, but not vice versa.
• Significant knowledge and experience and practice of humanitarian assistance, with at least 4 years implementation experience in complex emergencies, including insecure environments.
• A good understanding of emergency public health, WASH in schools, Education in Emergencies, Gender & Protection and appropriate ways of tackling them. The post holder must be aware of and sensitive to the needs of women and vulnerable people in this context.
Please Interested candidates are kindly requested to visit our website below for More details about post and apply through post application: