Ended Operations Assistant
Location: Sana’a, Yemen
Title: Operations Assistant
Duration: 12 months, with possibility of extension
General Description of task(s) and objectives to be achieved
Under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative for Yemen, the direct supervision of the International Operations Assistant and in close coordination with concerned FAO colleagues, the National Operations Assistant will perform the following tasks:
Functions / Key Results Expected
- Assist in providing day to day operational support to all field projects in Yemen and to the FAO Yemen programme;
- Assist the International Operations Officer in the management of the Operations Unit within FAO Yemen, by assigning key responsibilities to other national staff and closely monitoring progress;
- Supervise national project administrative/operations staff to ensure timely delivery of the necessary inputs and logistics support consistent with the planned project work plans, detailed field activity plans and procurement plans;
- Assist in the monitoring of budget expenditures against plans and allocated resources, to assist the Programme Unit and CTAs in their budgetary preparation of Field Budget Authorization (FBAs) and assist in initiating timely action for revisions and amendments;
- Assist the International Operations Officer in keeping database of budgetary, operational and programmatic issues. Share list of required actions to relevant colleagues, and assist them in taking action, as appropriate;.
- In consultation with the International Operations Officer, liaise with TCE and RNE Operations colleagues on any operational matter;
- Attend FAO Admin/Operations/Programme meetings, as per planned schedule.
- Attend operational coordination meetings with other organizations and stakeholders as appropriate (e.g. OMT and various sub-working groups, relevant meetings with NGOs);
- In consultation with the International Operations Officer, provide assistance to staff and consultants in the formulation of new project proposals, including budgets;
- Assist in providing assistance for necessary arrangements for incoming and outgoing missions (including procurement, monitoring and backstopping missions from headquarters and the Regional Office for Near East and North Africa (RNE); and
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Demonstrates commitment to FAO vision, mission and values
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Contributes effectively to team work and team outcomes
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills as well as interpersonal and public relation skills
Required Skills and Experience
- University graduate / Bachelor Degree from Economics, Agriculture, Economics, Administration or any closely related field
- Minimum of consecutive five (5) years’ experience in the operational management of project or programmes, preferably in the context of emergency operations;
- Previous employment in international organizations preferably within the UN specialized agencies;
- Possess good planning, coordination, interpersonal and communication skills;
- Proficiency in MS Office, particularly in Word, Excel and Power Point;
- Ability to work in a multi- cultural environment with sensitivity and respect to diversity; and
- Ability to work with minimum supervision
- Excellent knowledge of the English and Arabic languages
All applications should be sent to HR-Yemen@fao.org The job title needs to be mentioned in the email subject.
- Project-based post
- 1 year (extendable) including three-month probationary period
- Motivation/cover letter
- create a table as follows and put it as a covering page to the application
Relevant experience (in 10 bullet points max, 100 words max)
Motivation for the position (in 30 words max)
- Only candidates that comply with the above will be taken into account.