Local consultant for Translators
Post title: Translator
Duty Station: Sana’a
Language required: Fluency in both Arabic and English
Type of Contract: Individual contract
Duration of Initial Contract: Five months
Under the guidance and supervision of the Deputy Head of Office, client Sana'a, Yemen, the Field Monitor will provide weekly and periodic reports to the client’s office- Yemen on Human rights violations at the field level. The field monitor has to ensure highest standards of discretion
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Under the supervision of the Client Deputy Head of Yemen Office, the incumbent will assist in monitoring and documenting cases of violations of international human rights and humanitarian law, and actions taken by duty-bearers to ensure accountability in close co-operation with local NGOs, and other Civil Society Organizations.
- Gathering information and following the human rights situation from a variety of sources to keep abreast of issues/events and provide up-to- date information; assist in providing analyses of both specific cases as well as broad trends based on international human rights and humanitarian law,
- Develop network contacts with human rights organizations, other nongovernmental organizations, local government officials and other relevant actors working in their area as reliable data resources in crisis situations.
- Liaise with government, NGOs, Civil Society organizations, UN agencies and other partners to create baseline data on the human rights situation, with special attention to vulnerable groups
- Receiving complaints and interviewing victims and witnesses on-site and ascertaining the circumstances and acts that led to violation ( e.g. suspicious death, an illegal detention, internal displacement a discriminatory eviction or other human rights violation), including individual cases and the use of international human rights mechanisms.
- Verify the substance of any information received with human rights organization or association with knowledge of the matter, and/ or with assistance from any human rights organization or entity with knowledge of the case under scrutiny.
- Drafting correspondence and communications when required
- Develop accurate, precise, prompt and action oriented periodic reports with clear recommendations for next steps taken.
- Contribute to client Yemen Office reporting to UN bodies and mechanisms.
- Alert client Central as to major developments or trends (including the drafting of emergency reports); and to plan future efforts to improve the human rights situation.
- Participate with other HROs in discussions with relevant authorities and other influential actors with the aim of stopping or preventing human rights violations or seek other remedial action by the authorities to prevent similar violations occurring in the future.
- Report on work accomplishment regularly, including during regular meetings at the client Country Office.
- Perform other related activities as requested.
Expected outputs and Deliverables:
Payment from the total contract
Translated daily, weekly and Monthly report of Human Rights situation in conflict areas
1-31 each month
- Experience working in human rights, international law and rule of law in Yemen or related discipline.
- Good experience of working in management and/or project coordination in Yemen;
- Knowledge of human rights in Yemen or related discipline;
- Demonstrate strong oral and written communication skills;
- Sound experience in partnership building with clients and external actors;
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure.
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
- Be part of and contribute to OHCHR’s objectives in a cooperative way.
- Utilize the competencies detailed in the job description to produce the required outputs
- Communicate with internal clients, service providers etc. to establish facts.
- Be an active learner taking the opportunity to develop own competence.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes knowledge management and in the project through personal example.
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development
University degree in English studies and/or Law or equivalent, international development and any other social science or relevant field.
- Minimum 2 years experience in translation or reporting with emphasis on Human rights violations.
- A thorough knowledge of UN rules, regulations and procedures will be a significant advantage.
- Willingness and ability to travel extensively throughout the country.
- Impeccable and proven reliability, with an ability to remain focused under pressure with a commitment to hard work over protracted hours.
- Must be team-orientated, with good interpersonal skills and have an ability to communicate effectively, both written and orally.
Language Requirements: Fluency in both Arabic and English language.
Duration of the work: The period of work is for Five months which will start on 01 December 2018 and will be completed on April 30, 2019.
Duty Station: Sana’a.
Interested candidates should fill the tables in (Excel Sheet) attached with their CVs and send it to : email@example.com