Ended Development Team Leader
CARE International is currently seeking a Development Team Leader. He/ She on provision of a range of humanitarian and longer-term assistance across Yemen. The CARE Yemen Development portfolio focuses on Women Economic Empowerment, Youth Empowerment (including education and vocational training), Inclusive Governance ad Early Recovery
Development Team Leader
The Development Team Leader (DTL) reports to the Deputy Area Manager and will be responsible for the day to day management and decision making for a broad range of development projects which currently includes H&M, BMZ, UNDP and UNFPA projects but can be expanded. This position provides leadership, direction and support to staff working under development portfolio in order to ensure efficient and effective delivery of programs and services in accordance with required standards and principles of continuous improvement and the development for the new proposal opportunities. S/he supports Area manager and Deputy Area Manager in strengthening internal and external coordination and cooperation that maximizes sustainable impact of CARE’s longer term development work in Yemen. S/he is responsible for the direct supervision of all non-emergency projects, as well as managing Project Officers. S/he is required to regularly visit project (s) sites, monitor project (s) progress and quality, ensures project (s) compliance and supports program development and fundraising.
Program Development and Management:
- Provides oversight and support to project (s) and staff and works with Project Officers in project progress and compliance, and builds their capacity in project cycle and budget management.
- Facilitate or undertake communication and liaison activities to actively consult and involve beneficiaries, key informants, actors, partners and stakeholders in all stages of the development program design and implementation.
- Communicate/support Deputy Area Manager (DAM) on the transition from emergency to early recovery to development through consultation/workshops where appropriate.
- Provide strategic direction, technical advice and overall supervision throughout implementation of development program in the assigned geographic areas.
- Participate in analyses of needs at the community level, assess resources available for addressing the needs of communities, and suggest innovative approaches for filling gaps in programming.
- Identify and address staff capacity building opportunities that serve good quality of project's outputs delivering.
- Analyze service delivery gaps, demographics and community need, develop service delivery models and identify funding sources and models to address unmet need in the community as appropriate
- By close coordination with DAM Identify potential funding acquisition, facilitate and prepare submissions.
- Oversee the whole development program's operations ensuring a high standard is maintained.
- Manages Project Officers and ensures their timely delivery of project outputs;
- When needed, recruit & supervise sector specialist such as Village Savings & Loans Advisor, Women Economic Empowerment Advisor etc.
- Oversees with close collaboration with Area Manger the start-up of new projects, including staff recruitment, liaising with partners and leading the planning processes;
- Lead the team to manage and implement Development program/projects to ensure all program interventions/ activities and budget are spent according to plan, budget, timeframe and quality.
- Develop the implementation plans of Development program, ensuring activities are sequenced in a manner that meets community needs for maximum impacts.
- Ensure standards are consistently applied and activities implemented as per approved project designs.
- Maintain auditable project documentation for all development interventions/ activities at field level.
- Ensure that the Development projects are delivered according to CARE's and donors' contractual requirements and that all activities and deliverables are completed within the agreed timescale and budget.
- Ensure quality and integrity of implementation, administrative systems, and established deadlines.
- Provide real time technical advice to project staff through direct regular field visits.
- In coordination with DAM and Program support officer, ensure that project related procurement is conducted according to CARE and donor procurement policies and procedures.
- Ensure that program teams and partner staff have the required understanding of run development project (s).
- Monitor the project procurement planning and financial forecasting.
- Manage relevant financial allocations and budgets, reports, reviews and acquittals, annual budget preparation and carry forward recommendations.
Monitoring and Reporting:
- Monitor and report on achievements of all development program targets (activities and indicators) in the assigned geographic area. Prepare a detailed implementation plan and monthly/weekly plans and ensure the program team adheres to the plan.
- Participate in the documenting lessons learnt, best practice and case studies to contribute to sector learning.
- Be aware and keep abreast of good practice and policy issues with regard to the development aspect in Yemen and the region, translating this into Programme design and adaptation.
- Prepare regular and comprehensive project progressive monthly reports
- Oversees the submission of quality written progress reports and updates as required by CARE and donors.
- Monitoring the progress of Development project (s) from beginning to end (from feasibility stage to design to implementation and hand over process).
- Timely submission of progress reports to relevant staff.
- Support in undertaking internal and inter –agency assessments and surveys. This will include conducting of assessments and providing inputs to reports.
- Ensure regular and timely reporting of problems, potential delays or risks to project implementation to the relevant supervisor, and support in the development and execution of solutions and mitigating actions.
- Undertake field visits to monitor Development program and conduct periodic Programme reviews with staff and partners.
- Coordinates closely with the relevant officials’ offices and other stakeholders to achieve program objectives.
- Ongoing development of new networks with key community service and local government providers, and other relevant stakeholders to ensure ongoing development/creation of ideas/interventions lead to obtain new funding for community development.
- Apply strategic thinking and community development approaches to originate opportunities for effective collaboration with community groups, and other internal and external stakeholders to identify and respond to identified need.
- Liaises with Area Manager and Deputy Area Manager on project progress and implementation issues.
Learning & Capacity Building:
- Leads the sharing of lessons learned across project (s).
- Facilitate inter/intra cross learning visits among CARE's operation areas.
- Support the Area Office by transferring knowledge and skills through the mentoring and/or supervision of others (incl. Volunteers and Work Experience), building the capacity of project staff through ongoing trainings as appropriate.
- Attendance at conferences, seminars, workshops and other training activities to maintain an awareness of trends and issues primarily relating to the position.
- Pursue general ongoing training and development opportunities where appropriate
- Undertake any other duties associated with the position as required.
- University degree in social sciences, community development or related technical field.
- Proven ability of mentoring, coaching and training on Development related topics.
- At least 3 years demonstrated good experience in designing, managing and implementing development programs.
- Proven leadership ability to manage team output
- Demonstrated experience in managing a multi-skilled team
- Experience in creating and monitoring budgets
- Experience in policy and reporting requirements, financial management, compliance to standards and funding agreements
- Demonstrated experience in program development, implementation, coordination, monitoring and evaluation.
- Sound understanding of community development principles
- Ability to work under pressure;
- Sensitive to gender issues and Gender Equity and Diversity (GED) principles.
- Ability to lead and motivate teams, set goals and monitor performance
- Demonstrated ability to develop positive relationships with internal and external customers
- Ability to analyze and interpret issues and problems and implement appropriate solutions
- High level of interpersonal skills to resolve issues, negotiate agreements, contracts and develop and motivate staff
- Coordination, organization and planning skills to organize own work and work of others, to establish priorities and meet deadlines
- Effective communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Good knowledge of English (written and spoken).
- Ability to conduct community development approaches, research, assess need, and strategically plan to address need.
Interested applicants should send a CV and a cover letter (English) by November 14th 2018 to YEMVacancyAden@care.org with the subject heading “Development Team Leader - Aden”. Please do not apply unless you meet minimum application requirements, otherwise you will not be considered. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.