Ended Head of Distribution
Murooj Electronic Services has recently acquired a majority interest in Yemen Financial Services Company (YFSC), which operates Yemen’s National Switch interbank network. The acquisition is intended to kick-start a payment transformation in Yemen’s present economic turmoil. In light of this vision, Murooj triggered the creation of Yemen’s “National Mobile Wallet Company” (NWC) that will integrate the YFS, banks, the private sector, telcos, and government institutions (i.e. post authority).
Murooj was established in 2017 and is a partnership between Cornerstone Holdings, a regional investment company, and individuals from the Hayel Saeed Anam group, Yemen’s leading privately owned company and a diverse multinational corporation.
The company is based in Yemen with offices in Cairo. Murooj is focused on addressing Yemen’s severe financial challenges on the ground by introducing innovative mobile payment mechanisms that bypass currency shortages and meet the real needs of Yemen’s citizens and businesses.
Established in 2006, the YFSC is the Yemeni National Switch interbank network. In addition to connecting to international switches, the YFSC was created to enable such interbank operations as money transfers, card payments, and ATM operations. The YFSC member banks are Yemen Bank for Reconstruction and Development (YBRD); National Bank of Yemen (NBY); Yemen Gulf Bank (YGB); Yemen Islamic Bank (YIB); International Bank of Yemen (IBY); Tadhamon Islamic International Bank (TIIB); Cooperative and Agricultural Credit Bank (CAC); Yemen Kuwait Bank (YKB); Saba Islamic Bank (SIB); Shamil Bank of Yemen and Bahrain (SBYB); Arab Bank (AB).
Position Title Head of Distribution
Location Sanaa, Yemen, Travel will be required to Cairo occasionally
Reporting Relationships NWC General Manager and Murooj Chief Operating Officer
This role is to create and lead the entire distribution channel for the Mobile Money programme. The programme is an opportunity to accelerate a major new commercial electronic financial services project whilst delivering societal benefit through financial inclusion in Yemen. To achieve this, you will be a seasoned leader comfortable in creating and managing retail channels, with rich experience in fast-moving consumer goods and/or mobile operators channels. The candidate will be required to manage the creation and ongoing development of the retail channel ensuring that the expansion is in-line with the desired growth of the National Wallet Company. Operating as part of the commercial team, this is an executing role with an immediate requirement to build an effective and powerful distribution function. You will create a streamlined and lean, best-in class distribution operation to fully support the launch of the National eWallet.
- In collaboration with the Leadership team, you will set the company’s distribution vision, and fully own the delivery of the vision, providing leadership for the company’s innovation.
- You will be responsible for managing complex projects with multiple partners running concurrently, whilst still retaining a clear global vision.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of the financial landscape, monitor industry trends, emerging technologies, and software development best practices by attending relevant conferences and reading widely.
- You will set targets and participate in forecasting for both customer acquisition as well as customer activity. You will set sales targets for company sales staff and evaluating their performance through well-defined Key Performance Indicators.
- Improve effectiveness of the distribution system through enforcing routines and discipline.
- Plan and conduct monthly sales review meetings with sales personnel and Trade partners.
- Draw up and implement a detailed systematic area coverage plan consisting of a number of routes, towns, channel partners, and field force.
- You will monitor, analyze, evaluate and advice on general business trend and competitor activities, giving recommendations so as to grow and grow market leadership.
- Duid and communicate company policies, guidelines and regulations to the sales regions.
- Lead strategic planning to achieve business goals by identifying and prioritizing development initiatives and setting timetables for the evaluation, development, and deployment of all platforms.
- Maintaining competitive advantage over peers and leverage the created digital ecosystem.
- Participate as a member of the senior management team in establishing governance processes of direction and control to ensure that objectives are achieved, risks are managed appropriately and the organization’s resources are used responsibly.
- Communicate the company’s go to market strategy to investors, management, staff, partners, customers, and stakeholders.
- Develop the distribution roadmap that anticipates and meets the business and partner requirements.
- Attract, develop, retain and manage a highly responsive team members.
- Maintain strong ties and consistent communication with Marketing and Technical teams to capture appropriate commercial requirements and manage technical implementation and project timelines.
- Work in a consultative fashion with other department heads, such as marketing, product and operations. Support company culture, mission and values.
The successful candidate will ideally come from a best in class FMCG or Mobile Operator company, or multinational background with extensive experience in sales and distribution. They will be a highly capable member to a senior team, used to operating as a head of distribution or equivalent.
He/she will be a natural change agent who brings prior restructure and build experience, who is used to fixing and creating from scratch. The successful candidate will be driven by making a difference and therefore have the passion to drive growth. Demonstrating significant intellect and capability to operate in a very complex business operations, with multiple stakeholders, he/she will demonstrate strong attention to detail, exceptional integrity, and a hands-on, lean approach.
Qualifications & Experience
- This position is based in Sanaa, Yemen and candidates must be willing to relocate to Sanaa and operate within the region.
- You have strong experience in fast moving consumer goods or for distribution for a mobile network operator.
- Exposure to Mobile payments or e Wallets would be an added advantage.
- Firsthand knowledge in developing a brand new retail channel, or previous experience taking a new product or service to market.
- Proven negotiation skills
- Proven record of sales and revenue targets being hit.
- Strong project management skills and management of sales, admin and support teams. Led teams of minimum of 10 people
- You have experience of working globally, especially emerging markets. Experience within startup operations is highly desirable.
- You work effectively in a highly matrixed structure to positively influence peers and support cross functional collaboration between multiple stakeholders.
- You are results oriented, decisive, analytical and innovative person, able to independently develop the business and your people.
- You will be fluent in English and Arabic.
Murooj is committed to the principles and practices of equal opportunities and to encouraging the establishment of a diverse workforce. It is our policy to employ individuals on the basis of their suitability for the work to be performed and their potential for development, regardless of age, sex, race, color, nationality, ethnic or national origin. This includes creating a culture that fully reflects our commitment to equal opportunities for all.
Qualified and Interested Candidates must submit their CVs to:
Kindly write the following in your Subject Line when sending the email: "Head of Distribution - Murooj"