Ended Senior Finance Officer
Mercy Corps is a leading international non-governmental humanitarian agency with a global mission to alleviate suffering, poverty and oppression by helping people build secure, productive and just communities.
Mercy Corps Yemen would like to announce that the following position is currently open for recruitment:
Position Title: Senior Finance Officer
Number of Vacancy: 1
Duty Station: Sana’a Governorate
Position Category: Full-time AND Regular
Duration of Assignment: One year
Deadline : 13 November 2018
Mercy Corps (MC) is a non-profit, non-aligned, secular non-governmental (NGO) humanitarian relief and development organization, registered in the United States and Scotland with offices in more than 40 countries around the world, including Yemen. Mercy Corps Yemen has staff based in Sana’a, Taiz and Aden. The Finance Department is responsible for all financial functions in Yemen, including accounting, payments, banking, payroll, budgeting and financial reporting as well as grant financial management and compliance. The Finance Department ensures compliance with donor regulations as well as Mercy Corps’ internal policies and procedures. In its role as a support to other departments, the Finance Department provides timely reports and assistance to the Director of Programs and Operations Manager and their teams to ensure that financial resources are used efficiently and effectively.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
Working in the Finance Department under the direction of the Finance and Compliance Manager, the Senior Finance Officer will ensure the accuracy and completeness of Mercy Corps accounting records and will have primary responsibility for managing the monthly accounting
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Reviewing daily Payments/Transactions as per his/her limit in AAM. Ensuring accurate calculation and proper authorization & documentation as well as compliance with MC/MCY/Donor procedures.
• Preparation of MOPIC budgets and reports for MOPIC.
• Monitor country cash flow requirements. Coordinate with project/program managers to get monthly projections, prepare CFP/BTR, and send to FM.
• Responsible for preparing monthly payroll for Yemen and filing of all supporting documents as per MC policy.
• Monitor cash and bank balances and coordinate monthly cash flow requests from sub-offices; prepare consolidated country cash flow requests to HQ.
• Responsible for all monthly statutory payments in time and also preparation of returns to government institutions.
• Manage the month end accounting close process, ensuring the accuracy and completeness of the ledger, sub journals and all supporting documentation in all country offices.
• Responsible for reviewing and reconcile the life and health insurance payments monthly.
• Review of transactions in Navigator for posting by other staff.
• Oversee the cash count with the finance assistant.
• Perform work beyond normal office hours as required, without additional compensation to meet the deadlines.
• Other duties as assigned
• Ensure quick and timely attending for all payments and release within reasonable time. Any delays to be discussed with supervisor and address quickly.
• Maintain good relationship with banks and update regularly bank signatory list when there is a change and update Bank data sheet as well.
• Primary responsibility for maintaining the general ledger software files, including set up and maintenance of new project accounts, regular back up of files, etc.
• Prepare month end balance sheet account reconciliations.
• Coordinate the preparation and ensure the on-time submission of the monthly reporting package to HQ.
• Reviewing and preparing re-classes entries.
• Providing support to programs and operations teams in Sana’a in all financial matters based on specific assigned tasks, including travel to sub offices if necessary.
• Oversee the maintenance of all accounting records, ensuring that records are complete, accurate and safeguarded.
• Assist in the training and support of the finance officers in field offices, including answering daily questions, training new hires, making field visits, etc.
• Assist the Finance Manager in responding to audit inquiries.
• Daily management of the finance officer(s) and the finance assistants.
• Responsible for archiving room in Sana’a and ensure all documents arranged properly as per the MC policy.
• Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
• Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
• Responsible for timely submission of month end package, account reconciliations, sub-grantee reports, as well as other financial information in a timely and accurate manner.
• As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: 2 Finance Assistants and 2 Finance Officers
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO Finance and Compliance Manager
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH All Finance staff and other department’s staff
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
• Three years of general ledger accounting experience is required.
• A university degree in accounting is required.
• Two years’ experience in the Finance Department of an international NGO is preferred.
• Demonstrated competency with computerized general ledger software.
• Advanced computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel.
• Prior management experience and strong organizational skills.
• Excellent oral and written English skills.
The ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel is required. A demonstrated ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and process information in support of changing program activities is necessary. A high professional standard of finance and procurement ethics as well as the willingness and ability to enforce compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures is essential. The Senior Finance Officer must be willing to travel to Mercy Corps field offices and project sites.
Please note that Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer. As a result, Mercy Corps Yemen recruits staff members based on the qualifications for the position, without regard to tribal affiliation, race, color, religion, age, national origin, gender, disability, HIV status, marital status, or any other characteristic that may be protected by law.
- Please if you are interesting send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please mention in the email subject the position and location you apply for it.