Senior Translator Interpreter Assistant
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position : SENIOR TRANSLATOR & INTERPRETER ASSISTANT
Organizational Unit : Programme Support Unit
Duty Station : Yemen, Sana’a
IOM Classification : G 6
Type of Appointment : Special Short-Term (SST) Graded Contract, 6 Months (Renewable)
SVN No. : SVN2018-034
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : Thursday 22, November 2018
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the overall supervision of Project Support Coordinator and the direct supervision of the Government Liaison Officer, the Translator/Interpreter is responsible for the following functions:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Assist with translation of all incoming communications to IOM in Arabic to English;
- Assist with the translation of all outgoing communications from IOM to authorities and other counterparts;
- Assist with translation of related CVs and documents of appointed international staff for IOM mission on temporary or fixed term bases;
- Assist with the translation of any other material including reports, snapshot, sitrep … etc;
- Provide oral interpretation from English to Arabic and vice versa;
- Translate informal documents from English to Arabic and vice versa;
- Assist in the development and compilation of reports and other information documents;
- Act as an interpreter in meetings with authorities and prepare the draft minutes of the meeting; 9. ;
- Perform interpretation function during meeting with any counterpart as required;
- Follow up on response to communications and keep management updated;
- Perform any other tasks as required.
Required Qualifications and Experience
< >University Degree in translation and/or English Literature.Competed Higher Diploma in any of the above fields with six years or relevant experience in similar position
< >Minimum 4 years related experience in a translation/interpretation preferably in the Humanitarian Field.Languages
English and Arabic
- The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
- Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Female with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via email to email@example.com indicating position applied on subject line by Thursday 22nd November, 2018
In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, with a subject line SVN2018/034 Sana’a, SENIOR TRANSLATOR & INTERPRETER ASSISTANT G6
All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
Posting period: From 08.Nov.2018 to 22.Nov.2018