Ended Finance Assistant
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position : FINANCE ASSISTANT
Organizational Unit : Resources Management
Duty Station : Yemen, Aden & Al-Hudaydah
IOM Classification : G 4
Type of Appointment : Special Short-Term (SST) Graded Contract, 6 Months (Renewable)
SVN No. : SVN2018-041
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : Saturday 08, December 2018
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Working under the overall supervision of the Senior Resource Management Officer, Sana’a and direct administrative supervision of the Head of Sub office,(Aden / Al-Hodeydah) and the direct thematic supervision of the Finance Officer, the successful candidate will support in Financial and treasury for IOM Programmes in Yemen. In particular, s/he will
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Streamline a filing system for all payments, including both electronic and physical files;
- Verify all payments or clearances of advance payments are supported with proper invoices, documents, requests and etc. in accordance with the instructions from Finance Unit in Sana’a and the SRMO;
- Maintain and update filing system for all accounting vouchers related to (payments, clearance of advances and adjustments) processed by the IOM (Aden / Al-Hodeydah) Sub-Office for project activities implemented in Yemen’s southern governorates;
- Support in verifying invoices as required and, in coordination with the Procurement & Logistics Assistant and relevant program staff, ascertain that the goods or services, were received and match the quantity and quality ordered.
- Submit financial reports and supporting documents to Finance Unit in Sana’a every 15th and last day of each month, and follow-up on requests for payment clearance and missing documents;
- Notify (Aden / Al-Hodeydah) Sub-Office staff on modalities of processing financial transactions according to updated guidelines and procedures provided by the Finance Unit in Sana’a and endorsed by the SRMO
- Keep constant track of expenditures, advances, and bank and cash balances (USD and YER), and perform regular cash counts and prepare accounts reconciliation.
- Upon request of relevant program staff, the Head of Sub Office, the SRMO and/or Finance Unit in Sana’a, provide explanation to suppliers, contractors and implementing partners of expenditure clearance modalities based on signed contracts or agreements;
- Support the processing of all finance related issues that might arise with UN organizations and national and international NGOs, including, amongst the others, the payment of security and management fees for the UN compound;
- Prepare checks and bank transfers at the local level, request of new check books, act as one of the two check signatories, and collect bank statements;
- Perform bank reconciliation for IOM (Aden / Al-Hodeydah) and ensure all pending reconciling items are cleared prior to the next monthly account closure
- Process regularly for payments for utilities for all IOM premises in Yemen’s Sub office governorates, recharge of mobile internet devices, f communication allowances and ensure the deduction of personal calls made by staff members.
- Maintain a register and keep track of all issued TA for MPH-contracted staff and inform staff on related supporting documents for processing reimbursement of travel costs.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Degree / Certificate from an accredited academic institution in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration preferably with a professional certification as chartered accountant or certified public accountant; in related field; or an equivalent combination of education, training & experience;
- Minimum four years (two years for Degree Holders) in related field; preferably within the United Nations and the International Humanitarian Field
- Proactive; Independent Worker; A great team player; knowledge of IPSAS and SAP highly desirable; knowledge of IOM accounting system, software and procedure a distinct advantage.
- Fast Learner; IT Literate; Interpersonal Skills; Administrative & Time Management Skills;
English and Arabic
- The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
- Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Female with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via email to email@example.com indicating position applied on subject line by Saturday 8th December, 2018
In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, with a subject line SVN2018/041 Finance Assistant G4 (Aden) or (Al-Hudaydah)
All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
Posting period: From 25.Nov.2018 to 08.Dec.2018