Ended National Statistician
Division/Department: FAO Representation in Yemen
Location: Sana’a / Yemen
Expected Start Date of Assignment: Dec 2018
Duration: 12 months (renewable) including a 3-month probation period
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the overall guidance of the FAO Representative (FAOR) and the Deputy FAOR, under the direct supervision of the Head of FAO Yemen Monitoring and Evaluation Unit and in close collaboration with the Programme, the National Statistician will:
- contribute to the collection, validation, consistency analysis, editing and dissemination of statistics related to agricultural and food security statistics with emphasis on data quality, coverage and timeliness;
- contribute to the development of methodologies for studies, assessments, surveys and researches conducted by FAO;
- support in the analysis and interpretation of the results of studies, assessments, surveys and researches conducted by FAO;
- review the reports of FAO implementing partners in terms of data quality and results presented and ensure the quality of those reports;
- guide FAO stakeholders in the collection and analysis of data and reporting;
- maintain statistical programs/software for the processing and analysis of large, multi-dimensional data sets in agricultural and food security statistics;
- train FAO staff on the use of statistical packages, analysis and interpretation of results;
- prepare technical papers for discussion and publication;
- perform other related duties as required.
- Advanced degree in Statistics, Economics, Social Science or closely related fields.
- Five years of relevant experience in national or international organizations in the collection, compilation, validation and analysis of food and agricultural or environmental statistics; Experience with any UN agency, international NGO or donor agencies highly desirable.
- Extensive experience of working with a variety of statistical packages, including STATA, SPSS, R, Epi Info.
- Experience of using Kobo and/or other mobile data collection tools is an asset.
- Full competency and fluency in English and Arabic, both spoken and written.
- Extent and relevance of experience in the compilation, validation and analysis of environmental statistics in national or international organizations;
- Level of knowledge of the main data sources used for the compilation of environmental statistics;
- Extent of experience in the use of statistical software (e.g. R, SAS, STATA, SPSS);
- Experience of working with GIS is an advantage;
- Excellent analytical, writing and communications skills, and ability to conduct independent research, to prepare papers and documents of a high professional standard and to present statistical materials lucidly and effectively;
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable;
- Extent of experience in working effectively in multidisciplinary teams;
- Demonstrated capacity to plan, advise and guide planning processes;
- Sound understanding of the programme management cycle and support activities;
- Ability to work within a team of professional staff from diverse technical and cultural backgrounds;
- Ability to plan and meet deadlines;
- Teamwork spirit, ability to work under minimum supervision, flexibility.
All applications should be sent to HR-Yemen@fao.org The job title needs to be mentioned in the email subject.
- Project-based post
- 1 year (extendable) including three-month probationary period
- Motivation/cover letter
- create a table as follows and put it as a covering page to the application
Relevant experience (in 10 bullet points max, 100 words max)
Motivation for the position (in 30 words max)
- Only candidates that comply with the above will be taken into account.