Ended National Policy and Advocacy Officer
DIVISION / DEPARTMENT / LOCATION: International, MEECIS. Yemen
JOB FAMILY: Programme
SALARY: See salary scale Duration: Fixed term
OXFAM PURPOSE: To work with others to find lasting solutions to poverty and suffering
JOB PURPOSE: to deliver demonstrable impact through advocacy/research action in order to bring about changes to policy and practice of targets relating to Oxfam’s aims in gender and humanitarian programming.
Postholder reports to: Humanitarian Policy Advisor
Staff reporting to this post: None
BUDGET RESPONSIBILITY: None
May involve supervision and guidance of consultants
- own workload with supportive supervision and works independently, making decisions and problem solving.
- creative/innovative solutions to challenges and projects.
- planning and management of small projects or elements of larger projects.
- Oxfam to external civil society and humanitarian agencies and may need to deal with influential senior external actors.
- goals by influencing internal/external agenda/policies through well-developed negotiating and communication skills whilst being mindful of political sensitivities.
- of this role is significant within the department and may have wider, organizational impact.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills engendering confidence from managers and staff across the organisation.
• In liaison with Head of Advocacy and Humanitarian Policy Advisor, provides advice and guidance on strategies and approaches for advocacy.
• Undertake outreach to politicians, officials and government advisers to build strong relationships within Yemen as well as key actors in the private sector, academia, research institutes and civil society.
• Monitor and take appropriate action on new and ongoing developments in Yemen that are relevant to Oxfam’s work and mission.
• Keeps up to date with internal or external activities which may shape role. Build a two way learning relationship with programme teams on advocacy issues to help build collective advocacy understanding, capacity and action.
• Provide support to project teams to carry out advocacy and lobby work related to their projects and to identify further opportunities or approaches for advocacy.
• Work closely with Oxfam and partner programme teams to ensure that collectively agreed advocacy messages are being conveyed to targets.
• Act as the lead trainer/coach in providing support to Oxfam programme and partner teams in carrying out power analysis and developing advocacy approaches
• Prepare advocacy and information materials as required and requested.
• Provide regular contextual analysis updates/briefings, monitoring trends on women’s rights issues as well as civil society action and political context.
• When required, act as a key focal point for sectoral focus areas
Research, documentation and learning
• In conjunction with the programme team, develop research proposals and studies which can inform programme development and advocacy
• Contribute to policy research – this includes overseeing the work of external consultancies (quality checking the process) or undertaking discrete pieces of research when required.
• Explore opportunities for joint research and advocacy with other LNGOs/INGOs/UN agencies
• Monitor influential research produced by key donors and think tank institutions relevant to Oxfam programme and provide timely written critiques, summaries and responses.
• Monitor activities of relevant influential actors, organisations and institutions and ensure they are considered and engaged where necessary in internal campaign decisions.
• Ensure documentation and learning of advocacy work.
• Work in close collaboration with the MEAL officer on key deliverables.
• Scoping, facilitating and encouraging innovative approaches to programming informed by changing field realities.
Manage Oxfam GB’s risk:
• Be a proactive member of the advocacy and programme team, contributing to the overall development and implementation of Oxfam’s programme (operational and through partners) at the project level and at the strategic level.
• Provide regular, consistently high quality reports on advocacy action/research undertaken.
• Be mindful of programme and advocacy risk areas including political sensitivities whilst demonstrating core humanitarian principles.
Communicating Oxfam’s work externally
• Facilitate and participate in meetings with the Government, line departments, district councils and civil society, ensuring that Oxfam’s work is known by key stakeholders.
• Establish and maintain relationships with key policy think tanks, academic and research institutions in gender and governance; drawing in external expertise or develop partnership for Oxfam’s policy and advocacy work.
• Work with the Media/Communications officer on specific products, contacting and building a good network within local media.
• Provide support to field visits from journalists and other external stakeholders including government, donors and other NGOs as and when requested by the advocacy team or PM.
Ways of Working
• To promote the full & equal participation of women in all aspects of work and to ensure that Oxfam’s Programme contributes to community building rather than division.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES :
• First degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline (preferably a social development/politics/public policies degree or substantial community development experience.
• At least 3 years of direct experience in advocacy, policy or campaign work.
• Strong research and policy analysis skills.
• Strong networking, influencing and negotiating skills.
• Knowledge of Yemen in terms of its political, economic and social trends plus a good understanding of the key development issues in a fragile context
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills with an ability to consistently work with a diverse range of stakeholders with tact and diplomacy.
• Ability to coach and build capacity of staff and local partners
• Self motivated with proven ability to work creatively and innovatively with limited direct supervision
• Ability to make decisions and solve problems, advising on a diverse range of new and complex issues/problems.
• Willing and able to adapt priorities in order to respond to changing demands.
• Outstanding English and Arabic written and verbal communications skills, with an ability to simplify complex concepts both verbally and orally in order to influence others
- knowledge and experience of promoting gender equity, and an active commitment to promoting the interests of marginalised people in all aspects of Oxfam GB’s work.
- experience of gender, governance or human rights issues
Please Interested candidates are kindly requested to visit our website below for More details about post and apply through post application: