Livelihood Protection Officer
DIVISION / DEPARTMENT / LOCATION: Amran/ Yemen
JOB FAMILY: Protection Program
SALARY: LEVEL: D2
Duration: 11 months
OXFAM PURPOSE: To work with others to find lasting solutions to poverty and suffering
Oxfam’ Country Overall Protection Strategy Objective:
The protection of the conflict affected population, with a special focus on the most vulnerable people and groups including ’marginalised communities, persons with specific needs, elderly people, women and children’ is enhanced and their access to the services is facilitated, their capacity and awareness on protection issues increased, enabling them to better protect themselves and their communities.
Oxfam protection program is planning to establish two community centers in Amran and Aden, which will serve as a hub for the provision of protection services, to support total of 6,358 conflict affected, host and IDP communities. Oxfam is aiming to strengthening the community-based protection mechanisms to prevent, mitigate, and respond to protection issues and providing specialized assistance to people with specific protection needs. The project will prioritize community participation and ownership, and will strengthen partnerships with local CBOs to manage the centers.
The project will address the immediate protection needs of highly vulnerable people through identifying community-level protection risks and referring people with needs, including women, children, the elder and people living with disabilities. Oxfam and its local partners will ensure that case management and referral mechanisms are in place, including child protection services, family tracing and unification, alternative care for unaccompanied minors and child victim assistance, and specialized support for survivors or those at-risk of gender-based violence. Legal assistance will be provided with an emphasis on civil documentation.
The community center activities will include a protection cash assistance component for persons facing urgent protection risks or victims of indiscriminate conflict. Likewise, vulnerable survivors of violence will be supported with individual small livelihood grants, which will contribute to poverty reduction and increase opportunities for sustainable livelihoods.
Furthermore, Community Based Protection Networks (CBPNs) will be established and strengthened (representing age, gender and diversity groups of displaced and conflict-affected communities), to address and mitigate protection concerns, promote social cohesion and enhance community self-protection mechanisms.
• Post holder reports to: Programme Manager
• Matrix Manager: Protection Coordinator
BUDGET RESPONSIBILITY: NA
1. Technical Program Responsibilities:
• Managing and supporting the implementation of the livelihood protection activities in the community center.
• Work closely with the protection officer and the case management team in the community center, to identify and registration the cases that need livelihood support
• Ensure that people and beneficiaries in need of livelihood protection support are identified and have equitable access to registration and humanitarian assistance in a timely manner without discrimination based on gender, age, diversity and disability.
• The livelihood Protection Officer will be responsible for supervision, follow-up, providing advice and consultations for the targeted beneficiaries regarding the livelihood type of support needed, and ensure that they will benefit from the livelihoods support.
• Provide technical support for the beneficiaries on how to manage their livelihood project
• Conduct the market analyze study
• Developing the livelihoods tools in coordination with the livelihood program and program team that will be assessing the targeted households or cases eligible for the livelihood support and the livelihoods trainings skills
• Preparation and verification of beneficiaries lists to livelihoods cash support and activities
• Support the implementation of PDMs surveys to determine the impact of livelihood cash assistances.
• Ensure that the Cash assistance will be provided on the basis of protection and vulnerability criteria, in order to fill life-saving basic needs gaps for vulnerable households facing protection risks, address or mitigate the effect of a protection incident, as remedial assistance for victims of protection violations, and to avoid recourse to negative coping strategies. Protection cash assistance should be accompanied with individual case management follow-up, as appropriate.
2. Advocacy and Research:
• Support protection-related advocacy researches and surveys in coordination with the Protection Coordinator and the Policy team.
• Prepare case studies with support from the protection project officer
3. Coordination and communication:
• Build and maintain good communication and close collaboration with the Oxfam program teams, local partners, and authorities, in order to contribute to a coordinated humanitarian response.
• Liaise with logistic and procurement to ensure protection activities have the required resources at time, and complete and keep records of the necessary paperwork.
• Coordinate with the livelihood program team for any technical support required
• Work closely with the protection officer and the case management team in the community center
4. MEAL and reporting
• Produce regular updates and field visit reports
• Contribute in Sitreps, biweekly/monthly reports, donor reports and proposals.
• Participate in preparing the weekly and monthly plans
• Support and coordinate with MEAL team for baseline survey, post-distribution and other monitoring activities.
• Ensure MEAL processes are engendered and include protection to ensure learning and protection issues are captured
5. OTHER duties and responsibilities required by the line manager
SKILLS AND COMPETENCE:
• University degree in a relevant discipline (social science and Development, or any other relevant education profile).
• Demonstrable experience (minimum 2 years) in working with communities in humanitarian or development contexts.
• Specifically experience on Empowerment and livelihoods protection programs and activities
• Very good interpersonal and communication skills, particularly in networking, and working with communities, local civil society, partners and local authorities.
• Previous experience in using and adapting community-led approaches,
• Good skills, knowledge and experience on working in community center
• Good understanding and knowledge in application of do no harm, conflict sensitivity principles and ICRC standards and ethics for protection work.
• Good understanding of protection concerns, including GBV issues in displacement, human rights, and international humanitarian law
• Proven analytical skills, understanding of monitoring processes, learning, adaptation and evaluation
• Fluency levels of spoken and written in English and Arabic.
• Commitment to humanitarian principles and action and to Oxfam’s equal opportunity and gender policies
• Excellent computer knowledge and skills of using Microsoft word, power point and excel
Please Interested candidates are kindly requested to visit our website below for More details about post and apply through post application: