Ended Health and Nutrition Manager
Re-Advertising Health and Nutrition Manager - Amran Contract length: 1 year with possible extension
The Health and Nutrition Program Manager will work to contribute and improve the overall Health & Nutrition of the targeted Beneficiaries in the Center Area (Sana’a & Amran) through provision of quality Comprehensive primary health care. The Health & Nutrition Manager will work collaboratively with the Ministry of Health and their staff and partners to meet the needs of patients, promote healthy behaviors, strengthen health systems and improve access to basic health services. She/ He will work under the direct line management of area manager and is also expected to work closely/coordinate with Health & nutrition Technical Advisors (Backstop) Country office on technical matters/inputs.
Key areas of accountability:
- Manage and Provide Technical support to the Health and Nutrition emergency programme by leading the establishment and setting up of an integrated nutrition component in the current service delivery point in Sana’a and Amran.
- Manage and review detailed implementation plans developed by the Health and Nutrition program officers and ensure quality standards in compliance with Save the Children strategies, donor guidelines and priorities.
- To lead in the coordination and preparation of quality and timely donor reports thus ensuring that these are of high quality (Reporting clearly on progress towards the outputs of the project as stated in the project proposal).
- Manage and oversee the implementation of the agreed plan for health & Nutrition projects, from a quality perspective and meeting project targets and deadlines. (for example, monitoring against log frames, monitor detail implementation plan and individual performance management work plans).
- Contribute to programme development through taking the lead in the assessments, information gathering and technical inputs of new project proposals and budgets;.
- Work closely with the Emergency WASH and Protection programme teams to ensure an integrated programme approach, identify ways of maximising links, sharing of experiences and lessons learnt as well as leverage of SCI projects in the area.
- Management of financial and human resources of Health and Nutrition program
- As budget holder for health & nutrition grants, be fully aware of the grant compliance regulations of the donors relevant to projects. The post holder will work with the area manager to review and revise budgets; authorizing and monitoring expenditure in line with the budget and donor guidelines, SCI grant management and financial guidelines.
- Assess/ review the health & nutrition project human resource needs when appropriate and participate in staff recruitment and performance review process as needed by the organization.
- Conduct performance reviews of direct supervisees and contribute to the performance review of other health and nutrition staff.
- Ensure that staffing levels, management structures, and personnel processes are appropriate and effective to enable the management and implementation of the programme.
- Provides supervision, guidance and direction to all Health and Nutrition staff in center area.
- Provide training, capacity building and technical support to Health & Nutrition staff and relevant ministry/partners
- Ensure Save the Children Child’s Protection and Safeguarding Children policies are understood, implemented and monitored and that it is integrated into all aspects of the team’s work and program implementation.
- Review and share periodic financial forecasts prepared by Health and Nutrition program officers as required by Finance, Awards and Members Teams
- Management control and usage of Save the Children assets and funds and ensure the programme provides value for money.
- Representation and coordination within the organization and other stakeholders:
- Engage with key Government Agencies Health ministry, MOPIC and other stakeholders and duty-bearers at area and governorate levels, in particular to support the implementation of the health & Nutrition programme in centre area.
- Ensure an integrated and joined up approach to advocacy and programme work.
- Represent Save the Children in various health & nutrition related fora, meetings and workshops including relevant clusters/strengthen & maintain links with relevant co-ordination mechanisms.
- Ensure that regular and effective communications are maintained with Health Technical Advisors and other sectors within the organization for smooth program operations, implementation and integration.
- As a key member of field Senior Management Team, actively participate in weekly Management and other team Meetings held in center area office.
- Lead on multi-sectoral / health and nutrition technical assessments in coordination with other SCI thematic areas and/or other external sector agencies, ensuring assessment findings are documented and that all assessments include a specific analysis of children’s needs.
- Working with the Health and Nutrition advisors and Area Manager, develop Health/Nutrition sector response plans and master budgets and contribute to Save the Children’s overall response strategy.
- Provide technical checking of Health/Nutrition strategies, assessments and programmes as necessary, and proactively promote high quality Health/Nutrition technical approaches across the Area.
- Prepare and oversee Health/Nutrition programme implementation to ensure timely delivery of programme activities Prepare timely programme and donor reports on project activities in compliance with internal SCI requirements and any relevant external donor requirements.
- Working closely with the HR team, identify Health/Nutrition staffing needs for emergency programmes, and ensure rapid recruitment, induction and training of new staff.
- Identify Health/Nutrition programme supplies needs and coordinate with the logistics team to put in place a sensible phased procurement plan.
- Working closely with the monitor evaluation accountability and livelihood team put in place sector Monitoring & Evaluation plan, ensuring this links to reporting requirements, and capacity building of technical field staff in carrying out the work.
- Working closely with the MEAL team to put in place accountability activities, ensuring that feedback from all relevant stakeholders is considered in programme design.
- To ensure that the minimum standards of humanitarian relief assistance are maintained in accordance with the Sphere Charter, Red Cross Code of Conduct and CHS.
- Identify learning and training opportunities for Save the Children staff and partners and work as a mentor and role model for less experienced staff
- Take steps to document lessons learned, from programmes, for wider dissemination.
- In additional to the above listed responsibilities the Health & Nutrition Program Manager will also be responsible for any other duty deemed necessary by the Line Manager.
Understanding humanitarian contexts and application of humanitarian principles:
- Able to assess and analyse key issues in the humanitarian situation and formulate actions around them
- Actively engages in disaster coordination mechanisms and interagency cooperation
- Leads on the development of an organisational response based on an understanding of the contexts
- Qualified Health professional MD, (MPH preference) with at least five years of relevant experience preferably in primary health care, preventive and curative service delivery in the context of emergencies.
- Strong analytical and conceptual skills and the ability to think and plan strategically.
- Strong skills and experience in all aspects of programme development, including programme/project monitoring, review & evaluation.
- Substantial experience of developing working relations with government, UN agencies INGO partner’s community stakeholders and beneficiaries.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and substantial experience in preparing projects proposals and reports to donors.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills and commitment to capacity building of staff with proven skills as a trainer/facilitator and mentor.
- Demonstrate skills in resource and staff management/development and the implementation of appropriate policies, procedures, and systems.
- Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s aims, values and principles.
- Ability to be self-sufficient and resourceful.
- Ability and willingness to travel to projects and stay in basic conditions.
- Computer skills e.g. Word, Power Point and Excel.
- Language skills: Excellent English – writing and speaking
- An area of particular expertise within humanitarian health & Nutrition.
- Experience of working on Health/nutrition programmes in emergencies and epidemic outbreaks
Contract length is One year with possible extension
Additional job responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
If you are interested, please send your applications to Amran.firstname.lastname@example.org
Mention the Position and Duty Station on your Subject line.
This position is open to Yemeni nationals only
We are looking for both men and women from Yemen with enthusiasm and commitment to improve the protection and promotion of the rights of all children in Yemen
All applicants will be subject to Save the Children’s Child safe guardian Policy and Reference Checking Process.