Ended Emergency Officer
Location of position: Aden, Yemen
I. Presentation of organization
Solidarités International (SI) is a French humanitarian organization, which has been committed to provide aid in the event of conflicts and natural disasters. SI mission is to provide aid as quickly and as efficiently as possible to endangered populations by meeting their vital needs: drinking water, food and shelter.
SI has opened a mission in Yemen since mid-September 2017. The mission is currently running two emergency projects with an integrated FSL and WASH approach mostly in Lahj and Taiz governorates.
The position will be based at the Coordination, in Aden but activities will be implemented in all SI operating areas and the candidate will have to spend several days on the field upon his/her manager request
II. Responsibilities and Tasks
Under the supervision of the Emergency team leader and indirectly under the Emergency Program Manager, the Emergency response officer will lead and supervise the implementation of emergency activities, respecting deadlines and provide technical assistance and ensure minimum quality requirements are met.
List of main tasks:
Assessment/ contextual watch:
- Under the supervision of the Emergency team leader, continuously monitor the context in the area of intervention
- Under the supervision of the Emergency team leader and in coordination with SI’s field bases, gather all the secondary data in order to raise an alert on specific shocks.
- Under the supervision of the Emergency team leader, take part in the assessment preparedness following a specific shock in order to assess the needs.
- Under the supervision of the Emergency team leader, take part in the implementation of the preliminary assessment and potential household/technical surveys.
- Under the supervision of the Emergency team leader, take part to the definition of the preliminary recommendations of intervention following an assessment.
Emergency activities implementation:
- Under the supervision of the Emergency team leader, take part in logistical and administrative organization and the planning and preparation of emergency intervention
- Produce technical files (BoQs, Scope of work, Drawing etc.) according to the identified needs, standards and available resources.
- Supervise on the field the implementation of the emergency interventions (beneficiary targeting, distributions, set up of water supply activities, construction of emergency latrines etc.)
- Under the supervision of the Emergency team leader ensure the management and payment of the daily workers recruited during an intervention.
- Take part to the monitoring of the activities implemented by the emergency team.
Relation with other department:
- In relation with the logistic department, continuously monitor the contingency stock’s content and raise the needed IOF to the Emergency team leader in order to fill the potential gaps.
- In relation with the Finance and HR department, prepare the daily worker request and operational advance needed for the interventions
- Keep his/her monitoring tools and files archived in the Solidarités office, accessible to his/her Emergency team leader and/or Emergency PM
- Take part in the drafting of assessment/ intervention progress reports under the supervision of the Emergency team leader
- Take part in seminars and workshops related to the carrying-out of emergency activities
- Report to the Emergency team leader regarding the development of intervention and specific tasks that he/she has been assigned, any problems encountered and the quality of relations with the beneficiaries
- Report back all information or problems linked to his/her activity, Solidarités programs or safety issues
- Listen to and coordinate with the local population and authorities in order to identify any needs, complaints, or major events which could affect the emergency intervention
- Analyse the humanitarian situation by taking into account protection issues/Do No Harm to the population
- Take part in lessons learnt workshops and other program evaluation activities
ORG CHART POSITION (reporting and functional relationships)
Line manager: Emergency Team Leader
Line report(s) on base: -
III. Profile required
- Diploma in Water and Sanitation or Environmental or Public Health Engineering/Water Resources Development or in one of the Civil Engineering disciplines of Water Supply and/or Hydrology) or Sanitation/Hygiene Engineering
- At least1 year experience in WaSH technical position
- Prior NGO/INGO experience of 6 months’ minimum
- Experience in Emergency response
- Experience in representation and coordination with humanitarian and governmental stakeholders
- Experience in community mobilization
- Knowledge of the local humanitarian context
- Good understanding of the security context
- Proactive and motivated
- Able to move in the country for several days in a row
- Female Candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
Please submit your application (CV, Cover Letter, Photocopies of diplomas, Certificates of employment etc.) to Solidarités International by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
NB: Title of the related position must be written in the email subject
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline.
NB: Please mention three reference person in your enclosed CV.
Final date for applications: 10th of December, 2018