Ended Medical Doctor
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural disasters and exclusion from healthcare. MSF offers assistance to people based on need, irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation.
MSF is advertising for the position of Medical Doctor to execute the following tasks:
Main Purpose: Provide support to emergency and inpatient medical care to patients/beneficiaries according to adapted and updated medical knowledge and ensure the proper functioning of the medical activities to include referrals of patients under his responsibility defining and implementing, MSF protocols, values and universal hygiene standards to improve the patients/beneficiaries health conditions at Al Gamhouri Hospital in Hajjah.
- Supervise the service delivery in the ER, OT, ICU, Surgical IPD Male, Surgical IPD Female and Maternity; ensure that the staff providing medical care is following MSF protocols and guidelines.
- Follow up the evolution of the hospitalized patients, through daily visits, consultations and examinations in IPD departments of the hospital (IPD Male, Female, Maternity and Neonatology). Discuss the cases with the specialists in the hospital, deciding together whether the patients can be transferred to other departments, referred to other hospitals in Sanaa or discharged.
- Keep informed the patient and/or his/her family about the illness and provide appropriate explanations about the treatment to follow, ensuring that this is understood. This must be done politely and with due respect.
- Ensure patients’ confidentiality respected by MSF and hospital staff at all times.
- Coordinate and manage referrals through on call rosters. Discuss with specialists in the hospital and decide if the patient meets MSF referral criteria and in consultation with the Project Medical Referent arrange the referrals.
- Check and control rational distribution of medicines and equipment under his/her responsibility.
- Train the staff in doing proper registration, setting up data collection system in the supervised departments, collect the data and analyse it.
- Elaborate on the regular report (weekly/monthly) of the activities and send them to the Project Medical Referent or Medical Coordinator together with the HIMS data.
- Ensure that the medical staff is timely reporting to the working station and respecting their working hours; verify and approve payment of the incentives. Report to the Project Medical Referent HR problems (e.g. poor performance of medical staff, late arrival or early leaving the departments and suggests adequate solutions).
- Elaborate, conduct and participate in staff trainings, ensuring on-going training, both formal and on job, of the medical/paramedical multidisciplinary team in order to optimize the quality of care.
- In coordination with the Project Medical Referent take care of the staff health, being the National staff policy Focal Person and provide preventive and curative activities.
- Ensure universal precautions are followed at all times and reducing bio-hazard risks and support maintaining proper infection control practices in the supervised units.
- Supervise the quality of disinfected and sterilized materials in the departments of responsibility (IPDs); assure that general compliance with standing hygiene standards is maintained.
- Arrange in the hospital for the reception of the cases referred from Abs project and ensure that the cases are well received, settled and managed. Follow up of the cases referred from Abs and provide Hajja Project Medical Referent and the team in Abs with the weekly updates on the cases.
- Revise and verify the radiology and laboratory department invoices and accordingly approve them for payment, after comparison with the registration books.
- Participate in Mass Casualty Planning activities and provision of MCP trainings and drills.
- Participate in the medical meetings with the hospital doctors in a weekly basis to discuss the ways of collaboration and way forward a better care provision for the patients.
- Given the nature of MSF emergency programs and activities, to participate in project emergency interventions upon requirement.
- Will be part of the MSF-MD on call roster.
- Always report to the supervisor in case of any challenges or incidents that may be difficult to handle or have consequences on MSF operations or beneficiaries.
- Education: Medical Doctor Bachelor degree. Desirable diploma in emergency medicine.
- Valid work permit from the medical council in Sanaa
- 2 year experience minimum as a Medical Doctor or in clinical work.
- Previous experience with MSF is desirable.
- Ultrasound experience and training in Mental Health is an asset.
- Languages: Mission language (English) and Local language (Arabic) are essential.
- Essential computer literacy (word, excel)
- People Management
- Results and Quality Orientation
- Stress Management
- Team work
Interested applicants should send a detailed CV, cover letter , certificates in English to the following email address:
firstname.lastname@example.org Before the end of 13th of December 2018
Please put the title of the position you apply for in the email subject line as “Medical Doctor”.
Uncompleted applications won’t be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for a technical test and interview