Programme Assistant (RCCE & Hygiene Promotion - WASH)
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position: Programme Assistant (RCCE & Hygiene Promotion - WASH)
Organizational Unit: WASH
Duty Station: Yemen, Marib
IOM Classification: M5
Type of Appointment: Third Party Contracted (TPC) MPH Contract, 6 Months (With a possibility of renewal)
SVN No: CFCV2022.025
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: Monday 23 MAY 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Working under the overall supervision of the WASH Officer in Marib and the direct supervision of the Senior Programme Assistant, the Programme Assistant (RCCE and Hygiene Promotion WASH) will provide support through the following activities, In particular, s/he will:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Support the coordination and implementation of hygiene promotion activities.
2. Implement specific results-oriented interventions based on the approved overall strategy. Interventions may include, but are not limited to, awareness-raising events, communication and messaging, and training of staff and volunteers on good wash and public health practices.
3. Support the resource mobilization efforts by implementing RCCE campaigns, organizing capacity-building activities, coordinating interventions with local authorities, other local humanitarian actors, and community leaders.
4. Implementation and control areas /aspects:
a. Implement and monitor WASH and hygiene promotion operations in the field, including assisting with field- level coordination of mobilization activities such as hygiene kits distributions, RCCE campaigns, and community promotion activities related to WASH and public health.
b. Assist in coordinating the work of relevant staff, Hygiene Promoters, Community Mobilizers, and Outreach Workers. Coordinate periodic training for staff to facilitate the quality of messages and complete coverage of the population.
c. In coordination with Procurement and Logistic Unit (PLU), assist in procuring culturally and linguistically appropriate Information, Education and Communication (IEC) materials like hygiene kits and others.
5. Monitoring and Evaluation:
a. In close coordination with the Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) and Information Management (IM) Unit, assist in monitoring activities and analyze the intervention's progress to help increase the effectiveness of hygiene interventions for better public health outcomes. Participate in field assessments in IOM areas of work on an as-needed basis. This should include recommending specific actions for improvement.
a. Coordinate with local actors and encourage the integration of critical messages to prevent water-related diseases and prevent gender-based violence (GBV).
b. Maintain working relationships with other clusters or agencies, where appropriate, to help raise awareness of the importance of good hygiene practices for public health.
c. Support inclusion of cross-cutting matters into the WASH programming such as GBV, Accountability to Affected Populations (AAP), Environment, and other cross-cutting issues of relevance.
7. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University degree in Public Health, Anthropology, Sociology, Environmental Sciences, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with 3 years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in community mobilization and wash programs;
- Experience working with different international organizations specialized in humanitarian assistance (e.g., UN agencies, INGOs, IOs, Donors, IFRC, or ICRC);
- Proven experience in the design and implementation of interventions that include research methods to address behavior change to promote hygiene;
- Experience in the design and implementation of KAP surveys, PMD, and WASH evaluations;
- Excellent Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Skills; Managerial Skills; Organizational Skills;
- Ability to work with limited supervision;
- Works effectively with Donors, local authorities, stakeholders, beneficiaries, and the broader community to advance country office or regional objectives
Languages: English and Arabic
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Accepts and gives constructive criticism
- Follows all relevant procedures, processes, and policies
- Meets deadline, cost, and quality requirements for outputs
- Monitors own work to correct errors
- Takes responsibility for meeting commitments and for any shortcomings
- Identifies the immediate and peripheral clients of own work
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with clients
- Identifies and monitors changes in the needs of clients, including donors, governments, and project beneficiaries
- Contributes to colleagues' learning
- Demonstrates interest in improving relevant skills
- Demonstrates interest in acquiring skills relevant to other functional areas
- Keeps abreast of developments in own professional area
- Actively shares relevant information
- Clearly communicates, and listens to feedback on, changing priorities and procedures
- Writes clearly and effectively, adjusting wording to the intended audience
- Listens effectively and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
Creativity and Initiative
- Proactively develops new ways to resolve problems
Leadership and Negotiation
- Convinces others to share resources
- Presents goals as shared interests
- Provides constructive feedback to colleagues
- Provides fair, accurate, timely, and constructive staff evaluations
- Uses staff evaluations appropriately in recruitment and other relevant HR procedures
Planning and Organizing
- Sets clear and achievable goals consistent with agreed priorities for self and others
- Identifies priority activities and assignments for self and others
- Organizes and documents work to allow for planned and unplanned handovers
- Identifies risks and makes contingency plans
- Masters subject matter related to responsibilities
- Identifies issues, opportunities, and risks central to responsibilities
- Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation
- Persistent, calm, and polite in the face of challenges and stress
- Treats all colleagues with respect and dignity
- Works effectively with people from different cultures by adapting to relevant cultural contexts
- Knowledgeable about and promotes IOM core mandate and migration solutions
- Actively contributes to an effective, collegial, and agreeable team environment
- Contributes to, and follows team objectives
- Gives credit where credit is due
- Seeks input and feedback from others
- Delegates tasks and responsibilities as appropriate
- Actively supports and implements final group decisions
- Takes joint responsibility for team's work
- Learns about developments in available technology
- Proactively identifies and advocates for cost-efficient technology solutions
- Understands applicability and limitation of technology and seeks to apply it to appropriate work
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own
- action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, national of the country with automatic right to live and work in the country, and security clearances.
Females with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.As part of the application process, all candidates, regardless of the type or duration of the contract, must disclose any known relative who works for IOM or is engaged with IOM in any capacity.
Non-compliance with the relative disclosure requirement can constitute a basis for withdrawal of offer of employment, or if the employment has begun, terminating the employment contract and/or disciplinary action.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via the following link
All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
“Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted”
Posting period: 10 MAY 2022 to 23 MAY 2022
Important Notes / مقترحات هامة
إتباع تعليمات التقديم المذكورة في كل إعلان ستزيد من فرصة النظر لسيرتك الذاتية من قبل الجهة المعلنة
تذكر أن تكتب إسم الوظيفة و موقعها في عنوان البريد عندما يكون التقديم عبر الإيميل