Communications & Reporting Manager
Job Title: Communications & Reporting Manager
Department: Monitoring Evaluation Accountability and Learning (MEAL)
Reports to: MEL Director
Location: Aden, Yemen
Global Communities is an international non-profit organization that works closely with communities worldwide to bring about sustainable changes that improve the lives and livelihoods of the vulnerable people. The mission of Global Communities is to create long-lasting, positive and community-led change that improves the lives and livelihoods of vulnerable people across the globe. Global Communities has operations in countries in Africa, Americas, Asia and Europe.
Global Communities has been working in Yemen since 2004 helping to empower young people and improve the educational system, as well as build the capacity of media and civil society to address and engage the public around social issues related to the rights of women and children. Global Communities has two active humanitarian assistance and early recovery programs in North and South of Yemen. Global Communities is currently launching Yemen Communities Stronger Together (YCST).
Yemen Communities Stronger Together (YCST) is a three-year program funded by USAID and implemented by Global Communities in seven governorates in Yemen. The purpose of YCST is to support local-level initiatives that mitigate conflict, strengthen social cohesion, promote the peaceful resolution of differences, and, where feasible, capitalize on stabilization opportunities in Yemen.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Communications Manager is a key position in the Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability, and Learning (MEAL) department of the YCST. The Manager works with other members of the M&E department and YCST technical team to ensure that data and information are transformed into reports and other products for external communication. Under the overall supervision of the MEL Director, the post-holder will directly supervise Communications Officer. The Manager is expected to perform below responsibilities and any other duties as assigned. These duties are representative of the nature of work and not all-inclusive.
- Develops a clear communication strategy in support of communicating and promoting program objectives, informing stakeholders, and branding to increase program support.
- Develops the work plan to achieve the objectives of the communication strategy.
- In collaboration with the MEL Manager, develop a mechanism for monitoring the communication strategy.
- Coordinates with the Learning and Reporting Specialist and the YCST technical team on the compilation of performance and activity reports for monthly, quarterly, annual, and final donor reporting.
- Undertakes in-country report reviews and ensures that all reports, including assessment reports and donor reports, are written in a clear and concise language.
- Copyedits, reviews, and marks all external communication documents to ensure correct context, grammar, punctuation, spelling, sentence structure, and usage.
- Ensures that the reports are written professionally with journalistic style and includes pictures, formats, tables, graphs, and sidebars to to bring to life project' outcomes and results to the external audience. It requires the managers be informed on all the aspects and elements of the projects
- Develops one-pager success stories
- Provide guidance to project team on different donor visibility requirements and ensure regulations are implemented. Oversee the procurement of public communication materials.
- With other members of the MEAL department and YCST technical team, regularly develop and issue program status materials, leaflets, brochures, etc. that portray the achievements and status of the project, aimed at different audiences.
- Undertake field visits as appropriate to collect and produce human interest stories from the field, carry out interviews with staff and beneficiaries in the field and remain up to date on the unfolding context.
- Provide ongoing support (editing, guidance, messaging, etc.) to the Communications Officer in the production of communications materials (videos, photos, success stories, case studies, etc.) and ensure that they appropriately reflect program objectives and branding strategy.
- Support in updating YCST information on the website including updating the home page, publishing success stories, helping to keep the newsroom up-to-date, and updating the photo galleries as needed.
- Ensure active engagement and posting of YCST information on the social media as directed by the MEL Director and in close concert with the Communication Team.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
A minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, or Public Relations, with minimum 6 years of experience in in the field of journalism, communications, external relations, public affairs, public relations or corporate communications.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in communication, print, broadcast, and/or new media.
- Field work experience and background/familiarity with emergency situations is an asset.
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal skills, high level of conceptual and strategic thinking as well as writing and editing skills.
- Demonstrated ability to prepare/review complex technical reports and deliver effective oral presentations
- Demonstrated competence to assess priorities and manage a variety of activities in a time-sensitive environment and meet deadlines with attention to detail and quality.
- Proficiency in both written and spoken English and Arabic is required.
Normal office environment, however, due to the nature of activities and areas where we operate, you might have to work below normal/difficult working/travel/accommodation conditions. Able to work on a computer and operate a keyboard, for extended periods of time. Able to work out of office location, at times at odd hours and travel to the field and Sana'a.
From December 2018 until May 15, 2021.
- The application should consist of a one-page cover letter and detailed resume or CV. The cover letter should include the applicant’s earliest date of availability to begin work with the program. Resume or CV should include the applicant’s detailed work and educational history.
- Applications should be submitted to https://podio.com/webforms/21631009/1506207
- The position is open until it is filled.