Position status: Permanent contract / Temporary contract / Back up
Location: Al-Qaidah Hospital in Ibb Govt. and/or Salakhana Hospital in Hudaydah Govt.
Contract lengths: Fixed term 1 year renewable / other lengths
Doctors Without Borders / Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, humanitarian, non-governmental organisation providing assistance to people in need as a result of natural and man-made disasters, irrespective of race, religion, ideology or politics.
Main Purpose of the position
Organize and carry out surgical activities, ensure surgical care, in accordance with MSF policies, protocols and universal hygiene standards and in close collaboration with medical staff in the emergency, intensive wards and operation theatre in order to improve patients’ health conditions.
- Coordinates the implementation of MSF clinical policies, tools, guidelines and protocols (antibiotic prophylaxis, post-operative pain management, thrombo-prophylaxis, management of surgical cases under MSF criteria, blood transfusion, etc) and recommendations (standard hygiene and sterilization rules, prevention to HIV, TB, Syphilis and Hep B exposure) in order to minimize clinical risks.
- Undertake pre-operative consultations, evaluating the surgical risks with the anaesthetist and/or other medical staff involved, and obtaining the patient’s signed consent to operate.
- Carry out emergency and programmed surgical intervention following MSF protocols and policies including swab counts, surgical checklist, ensuring appropriate use of surgical equipment and proper OT registry entry/documentation of all OT intervention.
- Carry out post-operative clinical care and ward rounds collaborating with the anesthetist, the Operating Theatre Nurse, medical doctors, supervisors and ward staff to ensure compliance with MSF protocols and rational use of medicines. Attend OPD, emergency room when required.
- In collaboration with the anaesthetist, carry-out the collection and analysis of quantitative surgical- anaesthesia data, using post-operative observation sheets, routine data collected, patient files, operating department register, patient file, etc to monitor quality. Monthly revue data and analyze clinical trends and comment on adverse events / poor clinical outcome. Support organizing the operating program according to universal standards of care and with OT staff monitor use of material and equipment and advise on instrument needs and coordinates patient referral.,
- Collaborate with the emergency disaster response plan (MCP) of the hospital along with the anesthetist, rest of surgical team and the medical doctor and /or the responsible nurse and participate actively in the hospital practical rehearsals, in order to ensure the continuity of the services under any circumstance
- Knows and helps implement the accidental blood exposure policy.
- Plan, evaluate, and supervise the training of the staff (emergency and the out-patient teams) in order to ensure the amount of knowledge required and to improve people diagnosing, triage, and early detection capabilities.
- Supports other medical teams/wards when needed (i.e. midwifes and obstetric teams in the maternity ward, etc.)
MSF Section/Context Specific Accountabilities
- Being able to work under low resource setting with compliance to MSF protocols and guidelines.
- Carry out surgeries according to MSF admission criteria.
- Capacity to perform automosly the procedures most commontly done in our Hospital, such as laparotomies, appendectomies, management of trauma cases and surgical needs, thoracotomies, management of viscus perforations and solid organs injuries, skin grafts and flaps, management of burn patients, vascular injuries with repairs or shunts and management of war wounded.
- Willingness to work with people with different backrounds in order to provide the best free health care possible.
- Adaptability to a team work enviroment where the pre-surgical assessment and the follow up is carry out in close collaboration with the rest of the surgical team and the medical doctors on daily basis.
- Asurance of proper use of MSF available resources in benefit of the patient.
- Flexibility to the continue changing context.
- Availability to teach and learn from other staff members, as well participation in morbidity & mortality meetings, surgical sessions and bedside training in ER and IPD for the medical doctors and nurses.
- Actively participating in scientific and respectful discussions regarding challenging cases with the possibility of using MSF tools such as Telemedicine and opinions from Surgical Advisor.
- Diploma in general surgery specialty recognized by the State
- Essencial: Surgical experience as stated in surgical CV/skill form (number of independently performed surgical interventions) corresponds with the surgeries that are performed in the mission and qualification is duly certified and verified. Desirable experience with MSF or other NGO’s in developing countries
- Essential: English language; Arabic language
- Essential: Computer literacy
- People Management, Commitment, Flexibility, Results orientation, Teamwork
How to Apply
All interested applicants should submit the following documents:
- CV in English
- Motivation letter in English
- Copy of educational diploma
- Copy of medical license
- Copy of other relevant certificates
- Copy of ID or passport
- Any relevant other document (work certificates)
to: firstname.lastname@example.org subject: “SURGEON_02_2022”
In your application please specify what work location you prefer (Ibb or Hudaydah govts.)
Deadline for the submission of Applications is 4 PM on 30/05/2022.
Please note that applications without the copy of the ID card, the degree and CV will NOT BE CONSIDERED!
Only short listed candidates will be contacted!
“MSF does not charge fees or accept any money during the entire recruitment process.”
Important Notes / مقترحات هامة
إتباع تعليمات التقديم المذكورة في كل إعلان ستزيد من فرصة النظر لسيرتك الذاتية من قبل الجهة المعلنة
تذكر أن تكتب إسم الوظيفة و موقعها في عنوان البريد عندما يكون التقديم عبر الإيميل