Youth Programme Assistant
The United Nations Volunteers (UNV) programme is the UN organization that promotes volunteerism to support peace and development worldwide. Volunteerism can transform the pace and nature of development and it benefits both society at large and the individual volunteer. UNV contributes to peace and development by advocating for volunteerism globally, encouraging partners to integrate volunteerism into development programming, and mobilizing volunteers.In most cultures volunteerism is deeply embedded in long-established, ancient traditions of sharing and support within the communities. In this context, UN Volunteers take part in various forms of volunteerism and play a role in development and peace together with co-workers, host agencies and local communities.In all assignments, UN Volunteers promote volunteerism through their action and conduct. Engaging in volunteer activity can effectively and positively enrich their understanding of local and social realities, as well as create a bridge between themselves and the people in their host community. This will make the time they spend as UN Volunteers even more rewarding and productive.
Country of Assignment: Yemen
Host Institute: United Nations Population Fund
Volunteer Category: National Specialist
Number of Volunteer: 1
Duration: 18 months
Expected Starting Date : Immediate
Duty Station: Sana'a [YEM]
Assignment Place: Non-Family Duty station Assignment Place Remark
As this is a national UN Volunteer assignment, the UN Volunteer will be responsible for arranging his/her own housing and other living essentials. National UN Volunteers are part of the malicious insurance plan.
Assignment Title: Youth Programme Assistant Organizational Context & Project Description
UNFPA, the United Nations Population Fund, is an international development agency that promotes the right of every woman, man and child to enjoy a life of health and equal opportunity. UNFPA supports countries in using population data for policies and programmes to reduce poverty and to ensure that every pregnancy is wanted, every birth is safe, every young person is free of HIV/AIDS, and every girl and woman is treated with dignity and respect.
The goals of UNFPA - achieving universal access to sexual and reproductive health (including family planning), promoting reproductive rights, reducing maternal mortality and accelerating progress on the International Conference on Population Development (ICPD) agenda and MDG 5 - are inextricably linked. UNFPA also focuses on improving the lives of youths and women by advocating for human rights and gender equality and by promoting the understanding of population dynamics. Population dynamics, including growth rates, age structure, fertility and mortality and migration have an effect on every aspect of human, social and economic progress. And sexual and reproductive health and women's empowerment all powerfully affect and are influenced by population trends.
The assignment relates to the provision of programmatic and technical support to Yemen CO’s youth portfolio within Aden hub. The Youth Programme Assistant is expected to apply established system and procedures and assist in the creation of substantive knowledge by compiling and synthesizing information relevant to the programme issues. He/she will be instrumental in facilitating programme/project implementation using and developing appropriate mechanism and systems and ensuring compliance with established procedures. S/he will work in close collaboration with youth team leader for resolving programme related issues and exchanging information.
Sustainable Development Goals: 8. Decent work and Economy Growth
Under the overall guidance of the Representative, direct supervision of Youth Programme Associate and in close collaboration with the programme team in Sana’a, the Youth Programme Assistant will supports the design, planning and implementation of UNFPA’s youth programme by providing data inputs, providing logistical support, monitoring project implementation and following up on recommendations consistent with UNFPA rules and regulations. Specifically, the UNV will fulfil the following duties:
- Provide overall assistance and administrative support to implementation of different components of UNFPA’s youth programme, specifically the Youth, Peace and Security project;
- Liaise with UNFPA consultants, implementing partners, UN organizations and other UNFPA partners at the hub level for coordination on programme matters;
- Collect relevant information on programme matters and UNFPA thematic areas, statistical data and normative/legislative/policy documentation;
- Assist in preparation of short summary briefs for CO advocacy/communication activities related to the youth portfolio;
- Assist in translation of documents related to implementation of programme activities from English into Arabic and vice versa;
- Maintain a proper filing system for programme-related, finance, and administrative records;
- Perform assigned Atlas roles as per the UNFPA Internal Control Framework; Provide back-up for UNFPA Youth Programme Associate in CO Yemen;
- Any other related tasks as may be required or assigned by the supervisor.
Furthermore, UN Volunteers are required to:- Strengthen their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and take active part in UNV activities (for instance in events that mark International Volunteer Day)- Be acquainted with and build on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country- Provide annual and end of assignment reports on UN Volunteer actions, results and opportunities using UNV’s Volunteer Reporting Application- Contribute articles/write-ups on field experiences and submit them for UNV publications/websites, newsletters, press releases, etc.- Assist with the UNV Buddy Programme for newly-arrived UN Volunteers- Promote or advise local groups in the use of online volunteering, or encourage relevant local individuals and organizations to use the UNV Online Volunteering service whenever technically possible.
As an active UNFPA team member, efficient, timely, responsive, client-friendly and high-quality support rendered to UNFPA and its beneficiaries in the accomplishment of her/his functions, including:
- Results/Outputs can be modified as appropriate; should not entirely mirror the task description but serve as a basis for workplan and deliverables;
- The key results of the assignment will be timely and quality support to the CO youth programme. This would ensure smooth implementation of the programme;
- At the end of the assignment the national volunteer will have:
- Better knowledge of UNFPA’s youth programme activities and procedures;
- Better understanding of UNFPA’s thematic areas and their inter-linkages with sustainable development;
- Improved writing skills;
- Improved coordination and networking skills.
- The development of capacity through coaching, mentoring and formal on-the-job training, when working with (including supervising) national staff or (non-) governmental counter-parts, including Implementing Partners (IPs); • Age, Gender and Diversity (AGD) perspective is systematically applied, integrated and documented in all activities throughout the assignment • A final statement of achievements towards volunteerism for peace and development dur-ing the assignment, such as reporting on the number of volunteers mobilized, activities participated in and capacities developed
Required Degree Level Bachelor degree or equivalent Education
Bachelor’s degree in public administration, social sciences or area related to Accounting and Management;
Required experience 36 months
- at least 3 years of relevant experience in the public or private sector;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and working knowledge of spreadsheet;
- Advanced skills in scanning and screening of programme related information in different resources including but not limited to internet
- Excellent coordination and leadership skills Excellent analytical and writing skills;
- General ability to express clearly and concisely ideas and good skills in writing press releases and articles/stories for traditional and electronic media;
- Strong communication, interpersonal and networking skills; Proven ability to conceptualize, plan and execute ideas; Understanding of gender considerations;
- Sound security awareness;
- Have affinity with or interest in Reproductive Right, Population Family Planning , Volunteerism as mechanisms for durable development, and the UN System.
English (Mandatory) , Level - Fluent AND - Arabic (Mandatory) , Level - Fluent Area of Expertise
Development programme/project administration Mandatory Area of Expertise Requirement
To apply for this job, please click the following link to go to UN Volunteers website and apply from there: