- Title of Position: Protection Associate,
- Job Opening (JO): 37908
- Position Number: 10036799
- Category & Level: General Service, G6
- Location: FO Ibb, Yemen
- Effective date: As soon as possible
- Duration: Initially One Year
- Closing Date: 06 July 2022
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Protection Associate normally reports to the Associate Protection Officer. The incumbent monitors protection standards, operational procedures and practices in protection delivery in line with international standards and provides functional protection support to information management and programme staff.
The Protection Associate is expected to coordinate quality, timely and effective protection responses to the needs of populations of concern (PoC) and identify opportunities to mainstream protection methodologies and integrate protection safeguards in operational responses in all sectors. S/he contributes to designing a comprehensive protection strategy and liaises externally with authorities and partners on protection doctrine and policy as guided by the supervisor.
The Protection Associate also ensures that PoC are involved in making decisions that affect them, whether in accessing their rights or in identifying appropriate solutions to their problems. To achieve this, the incumbent will need to build and maintain effective interfaces with communities of concern, local authorities and protection and assistance partners.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Stay abreast of political, social, economic and cultural developments that have an impact on the protection environment.
- Consistently apply International and National Law and applicable UN/UNHCR and IASC policy, standards and codes of conduct.
- Assist in providing comments on existing and draft legislation related to PoC.
- Provide advice on protection issues to PoC; liaise with competent authorities to ensure the issuance of personal and other relevant documentation.
- Assist in conducting eligibility and status determination for PoC.
- Contribute to measures to identify, prevent and reduce statelessness.
- Contribute to a country-level child protection plan as part of the protection strategy.
- Contribute to a country-level education plan as part of the protection strategy.
- Monitor Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for all protection/solutions activities.
- Manage individual protection cases including those on GBV and child protection. Monitor, and intervene in cases of refoulement, expulsion and other protection incidents.
- Assist in identifying durable solutions for the largest possible number of PoC through voluntary repatriation, local integration and where appropriate, resettlement.
- Contribute to the design, implementation and evaluation of protection related AGD based programming with implementing and operational partners.
- Facilitate effective information management through the provision of disaggregated data on PoC and their problems.
- Participate in initiatives to capacitate authorities, relevant institutions and NGOs to strengthen national protection related legislation and procedures.
- Assist the supervisor in prioritizing PoC for interview, counselling and propose protection support for individual cases.
- Assist the supervisor with enforcing compliance of local implementing partners with global protection policies and standards of professional integrity in the delivery of protection services.
- Assist the supervisor with enforcing compliance with, and integrity of, all protection standard operating procedures.
- Submit individual payments request for PoC for approval.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
- For G6 - 3 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 2 years relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Certificates and/or Licenses
International Law, Political Science or other related field
Relevant Job Experience
- Protection Learning Programme
- IT-Computer Literacy
- CL-Protection & Solutions Awareness
- PR-Protection-related guidelines, standards and indicators
- PR-Refugee Protection Principles and Framework
Language Requirements: Please also note that English and Arabic are essential for this Job Opening.
Candidates may be required to sit for a test. Only pre-selected candidates will be notified. Only online applications are accepted (applications sent by email will not be accepted). No late applications will be accepted.
UNHCR is committed to diversity and welcomes applications from qualified candidates regardless of disability, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, race, colour or ethnic and national origins, religion or belief, or sexual orientation.
UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, training or any other fees).
If you have questions during the on-line application, please contact HR Team well before the deadline: at email@example.com (Sana'a).
This is only part of the Vacancy Notice. For more information about this Job Opening, eligibility criteria and procedures please follow this link (or go to www.unhcr.org /Careers/ Vacancies). Please follow the below instructions on applications for External Applicants.
How to Apply
Submission of applications (External Applicants)
- Interested candidates should submit their applications for this Job Opening online.
- The Applicants will need to follow this link or go to www.unhcr.org /Careers/ Vacancies
- The Applicants will need to search for the Job Opening by using the available filters (e.g. Compendium Exercise: Local Vacancies; Country: Yemen) or with its number (37908).
- Once the Job Opening is selected, the Applicants will be directed to the Job Description page in the online application process.
- Applicants must “Sign in” or “Register” and then “Sign in”, in order to apply. They must click on “New User” for the first time they apply as an external candidate.
- Applicants begin by clicking the “Apply” button, after which the page in the next image will open. The applicant must click on “Next” in order to move ahead in the application process.
- Applicants must agree to the terms, before reaching the Letter of Interest page of the application. They must include a Letter of Interest and completed online application including personal, profile and qualifications information.
- In the “Additional Information” section all questions MUST be answered. Once all is completed, the applicant may click “Review/Submit” application. Here the candidate may preview their application and review it by section.
- By clicking on “Confirmation and Consent” the applicant will submit their application, and receive automatic notification by e-mail that the application has been submitted.
Applications submitted by email will not be accepted.
Important Notes / مقترحات هامة
إتباع تعليمات التقديم المذكورة في كل إعلان ستزيد من فرصة النظر لسيرتك الذاتية من قبل الجهة المعلنة
تذكر أن تكتب إسم الوظيفة و موقعها في عنوان البريد عندما يكون التقديم عبر الإيميل